PDA

View Full Version : Mansfield, Ohio, native earns Bronze Star Medal

thedrifter
01-10-06, 06:50 PM
Mansfield, Ohio, native earns Bronze Star Medal
2nd Marine Logistics Group
Story by Cpl. Matthew K. Hacker

MARINE CORPS BASE CAMP LEJEUNE, N.C. (Jan. 9, 2006) -- Navy Lt. John G. Meeting of Mansfield, Ohio, the comptroller for the Naval Dental Center was awarded the Bronze Star Medal during an awards ceremony Dec. 16 for his service while deployed in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom 04 - 06.

In January 2005, Meeting deployed as the commander for Surgical Company A, 2nd Medical Battalion, 2nd Marine Logistics Group.

Meeting’s company deployed to Kuwait to relieve a National Guard unit.

“There were about 100,000 service members in Kuwait at the time we got there, so it was a little confusing for the first few weeks,” said Meeting. “We were responsible for setting up medical clinics on all but one camp in Kuwait, so we had to get used to it.”

The company, which consisted of 162 Sailors, were spread out over an area roughly the size of New Jersey, according to Meeting. For the first two months, each clinic estimated 400 patients per day.

Their sparse clinics were the sick call and the emergency facilities in Kuwait, according to Meeting. They also developed several new Standard Operating Procedures for the clinics, as the Army used different supply and medical programs unfamiliar to the Navy and Marine Corps family.

“We did adopt certain Army SOPs, because the supply points were already getting the orders their way and we couldn’t change it,” said Meeting. “But we did develop more SOPs for emergency response situations.”

They didn’t see many combat injuries being in Kuwait, but there were a lot of motor vehicle accidents, according to Meeting. They also developed a combat lifesavers program for the Army units who came in during their stay.

“We also treated several coalition troops,” said Meeting. “There were troops from Poland, South Korea, Lithuania, to name a few, who had troops out and about without medical clinics of their own,” said Meeting. “So, sometimes we would get these guys in our facility and treat them just like everyone else.”

Overall, the company’s stay was a busy one, according to Meeting, however there were many opportunities to do great things. The unit saw more than 22,000 patients in their six months in Kuwait, and they’re “find a way to say yes” motto kept their patients happy and healthy.

“In my opinion, the reason I was recognized was because this was such a big mission and we responded better than anyone had expected,” said Meeting. “However, above all, the mission’s success was not achieved directly through me. The mission’s success was a direct reflection of the hard work and dedication of my sailors.”

Ellie