PDA

View Full Version : Ban on burial honors for murderers takes effect

thedrifter
01-10-06, 06:18 PM
January 10, 2006
Ban on burial honors for murderers takes effect
Associated Press

ANNAPOLIS, Md. — A ban on burying convicted murderers with full military honors in national military cemeteries took effect Monday when President Bush signed the newest defense authorization bill.

The ban was pushed by Democratic Sen. Barbara Mikulski of Maryland and Republican Sen. Larry Craig of Idaho.

The proposal stems in part from the placement in Arlington National Cemetery in July of the remains of Russell Wayne Wagner, 52, a Vietnam veteran convicted of murdering an elderly couple in Hagerstown in 1994. The victims’ children complained, prompting a review of military funeral rules.

“This law honors our military heroes, and I am so proud to have fought for its passage,” Mikulski said.

She brought the issue to the attention of the Veterans’ Affairs Committee after Wagner’s remains were buried at Arlington with full military honors.

Ellie

Roulette
01-10-06, 06:53 PM
now how long is it going to take for this law to be abused?

MillRatUSMC
01-10-06, 11:55 PM
Why stop at convicted murderers, let include convicted drug dealers, robbers, child molsters and I could go on an on...do we exhume any buried there before this...what does a person life after his miltary service have to do if he or she can be buried...the dead are beyond any feelings...
What did they do with the remains of Russell Wayne Wagner?
Pitch them out into the cold or will his remains be buried in a poor man grave.
Laws to make people feel
Good" might not be in our best interest...

Semper Fidelis
Ricardo

outlaw3179
01-11-06, 12:17 AM
I agree with Milrat. Its a bad situation all around, but a military funeral is to show respect for a persons actions while in service. During his or her enlistment he may or may not have done anything heroic , but he served. Its a bad deal when a former service member does something awful like murder or worse, but I still think you have to show respect for his service while he wore the uniform.

Semper Fi

hrscowboy
01-11-06, 03:02 AM
I have to agree with milrat also, if he was given an honorable discharge from the service what he done in his private life should have no bearing what so ever. This law was only passed because of tim...