PDA

View Full Version : Christmas gift for a new Marine

kentmitchell
01-10-06, 05:38 PM
My grandson will graduate (I hope) from PI in early Feb.
I resisted the temptation to send him a big box of pogey bait and cookies at Christmas, but since we'll be at the graduation I'd like to have something special for him.
I'm thinking about a watch and G-Shock is the first one that comes to mind. Is that what they're wearing in the field these days?
All help is appreciated.

His dad is a flyboy turned Gung Ho. Check out the website:
http://webpages.charter.net/jolver/HomePage.html

Gung Ho and Semper Fi

thedrifter
01-10-06, 05:41 PM
Great Looking Family there You Have.

Best of Luck to Your Grandson

Ellie

kentmitchell
01-10-06, 05:44 PM
Ellie

I was just fishing for a compliment when I posted that site. Thanks.

gwladgarwr
01-10-06, 07:31 PM
That is really, really sweet of you to think of your Marine like that! I wish I had that when I was in boot camp (except for my birthday, of course - me and the quarterdeck didn't get along too well.)

What you say to him on the grinder after "dismissed" will mean more to him than any material gift, trust. I cried like a b**** at my emblem ceremony when I promised myself I wouldn't, and it was the proudest day of my life.

When a 1st Sgt walked by me and my mom the moment we were dismissed, he said to me, "Devil, won't you introduce me to your mom? "(and I was 33 years old!!!), I could have taken Iwo Jima all by myself - that's how c*** proud I was. I think THAT's the best thing you could give to him (at graduation; save the pogeypait - it NEVER tastes good on the quarterdeck - trust.)

A big steak dinner and a few rounds at the Outback in Beaufort wouldn't hurt, either. :marine:

gwladgarwr
01-10-06, 07:43 PM
My grandson will graduate (I hope) from PI in early Feb.
I resisted the temptation to send him a big box of pogey bait and cookies at Christmas, but since we'll be at the graduation I'd like to have something special for him.
I'm thinking about a watch and G-Shock is the first one that comes to mind. Is that what they're wearing in the field these days?
All help is appreciated.

His dad is a flyboy turned Gung Ho. Check out the website:
http://webpages.charter.net/jolver/HomePage.html

Gung Ho and Semper Fi

And I had to see the website AFTER I replied to this danged post! That website is freakin' MOTIVATING! Not looking bad in that boot pic of you there! (But not as good as me, of course.:) )

That is truly wonderful what you're doing, and you stand proud of that. (Dad and junior look WAY too alike - are you sure they're not twins?)

Truly motivating. Any way I can help?:marine:

greensideout
01-10-06, 09:09 PM
Outstanding!

(For those that have a slow loading PC like mine, give it time---it's worth the wait.)

yellowwing
01-10-06, 09:22 PM
Outstanding website! I knew even before I scrolled down that the Infamous Papa is a Marine. He just has that look.

It took me a minute to realize that the Infamous Papa is you, Kent! :banana:

Fine looking Grandson! I bet he is also glad you resisted sending him a few pounds of sugar. :D

lovdog
01-10-06, 10:14 PM
Kent:
Oh yes - Fine looking group - I think you all would make a good picture for a large billboard - The Few (and certainly "The Proud") and you have yourself the Marines! My son is in the Air Force, like your son. I wanted him to be a pilot you know - well, he has this problem with air sickness!! In Security Forces currently in Afghanistan - flies in choppers and C130's - still has the problem but handles it well. Was going to go to Officers Training School but thats pretty hard to do when they keep shipping him all over the world. My grandson is 9 - maybe he'll be the pilot in the family. They sure make you proud don't they?
Better be careful though - if your chest gets any larger your going to pop a button or two. Take care. And tell your grandson to take care of himself too!!

JAMarine
01-10-06, 11:24 PM
Semper Fi!

PFCJon
01-11-06, 12:09 AM
In response to your original question about the watch, the Drill Instructor that scared me most (and that I looked up to the most) wore a G Shock- when I got out of boot camp I bought one as soon as I got home. It's a no frills, sturdy, and reliable piece of gear. I put it up there with my Mag Lite and Ka Bar in the non-glamorous-but-absolutely-invaluable-gear category.

lovdog
01-11-06, 07:38 AM
Those new flashlights - the ones you shake & they last forever are great from what I hear!! A Kabar would never go amiss though - they always come in handy. Tape them to your upper web & your good to go. Probably don't need them as much now - but they were great for opening the cans on the C-Rats when your John Wayne failed. Make sure you get the "good steel" though, some are carbon laced.
If you ever have to spend a lot of time in a bunker - they are great for passing the idle time - we used to toss one back & forth sticking it in the timbers!! You get pretty good after you do this 2,000 times!!
As for the flashlight - there is nothing more annoying than someone coming in the barracks at 3 in the morning & making a bunch of noise that you can't sleep - I'm sure a simple flashlight would save a pounding by a couple of irate Marines that just got off of guard duty!!

Osotogary
01-11-06, 07:53 AM
Kent-
My son had a Suunto wristwatch which was high tech and well made - it didn't last.
I sent him a Seiko 5 (?) Automatic that some of my friends swore by when they wore them in Vietnam- It wasn't rugged enough and broke.
Just before his last deployment I sent him a Casio G-Shock Solar wrist watch, G-2300 I believe, and he has been wearing it ever since.
I paid about $70.00 at WalMart. I compared prices and this was about the average going price.

On a side note- One of my co-workers had a cousin who was graduating from Parris Island and wanted to know what to get him. I said, get him a Casio like the one I got my son. She did, he loved it but he had to exchange it because she liked and bought the one in blue. She said that it looked prettier. LOL (I had suggested that she get the black/green one)

By the way- That is one terrific website. Great pictures and content. You must be very proud. Good work.