PDA

View Full Version : Marine Combat Training: Need a 'B Billet?'

thedrifter
01-10-06, 03:07 PM
Marine Combat Training: Need a 'B Billet?'
MCAS New River
Story by Lance Cpl. Jonathan A. Tabb

MARINE CORPS AIR STATION NEW RIVER, N.C. (Jan. 10, 2006) -- An explosion rocks the column as a seven-ton is ripped open, spilling Marines out onto the desert terrain. In an attempt to bring aid to their wounded comrades, the men and women from the rear sprint to the front, all while evading direct and indirect small arms fire.

The Marines survive the day only by utilizing the training they received from their instructors at Marine Combat Training. These are not battle-hardened infantry combat veterans – they are administrative, logistics and aviation supply Marines. They are “personnel other than grunts,” but they were trained by the best.

The Military Occupational Specialty B Billet designated 8513 offers Marines the opportunity to lead and train the Corps’ newest Marines in the art of combat.

“There’s a lot of value in (being an instructor here),” said Lt. Col. Kevin T. Wooley, MCT Bn., commanding officer. “(This training) ties directly into what the expectations are in the fleet.”

According to Master Sgt. Stewart A. Stout, MCT Bn., Operations chief, the 8513 field will be a good deal for non-infantry MOS’s.

“Not only do they get to train the Marines, they also get some valuable leadership experience,” said Stout.

There’s a lot of responsibility in being a combat instructor; they have the rare opportunity of teaching Marines how to survive, Capt. Jaime P. Murphy, MCT Bn. Operations officer, said.

“If a Drill Instructor sees a recruit he trained, he can say, ‘I trained him to be a Marine,’ if I see a Marine I trained, I can say, ‘I trained him to survive in combat,’” said Sgt. Jennifer M. Hadley, Fox Company combat instructor.

In addition to the experience gained and the opportunity to forge basically trained Marines into basically trained infantrymen, today’s combat instructors have the opportunity to experience a new and improved MCT. The training schedule has undergone a series of upgrades, helping to make the training more realistic.

“A lot of lessons have been learned from Iraq,” said Murphy. “It’s helped us to realize how much MCT needed to change.”

The old schedule bounced back and forth from classroom lessons to hands-on training, said Murphy.

Now all the classroom training is completed prior to moving out to the bivouac site.

With the new schedule, instructors can ensure the students have a good grasp of the classroom training before moving to the ranges, Murphy explained.

Marines have been training in Military Operations in Urban Terrain by performing combat operations through the MOUT town for years, but with the recent addition of “Convoy Road,” Murphy explained, the Marines get to experience the realities of convoy operations just prior to entering MOUT.

“I think this new program is good because it seems to be focusing on what’s more relevant as far as MOUT, urban assault and convoy operations go,” added Sgt. Natalie E. Ballesteros, Fox Co., combat instructor.

According to Stout, the smaller details, such as gear upgrades, will continue to change and improve, but the basics will not.

“It’s a process,” Stout said. “Right now they’re fielding all the new gear to Iraq, but it will filter down eventually.”

Today’s battles are no longer fought solely by the infantry MOS, but also by the men and women who serve in the various support roles.

“Every Marine a rifleman,” said Stout. “Now it’s every Marine an infantrymen.”

Ellie

mrbsox
01-10-06, 07:51 PM
Will they take 'contract' instructors ??