View Full Version : Little Axe letters motivate recruits

thedrifter
11-17-02, 08:29 AM
Students send encouraging words to new Marines
11/17/02
Sarah McCabe
Respond to this story
Email this story to a friend

Although Jose Giron, a Marine recruit in boot camp at the Marine Corps Recruit Depot (MCRD) in San Diego, has never met Ashley White, a senior at Little Axe High School, Giron credits White with reminding him why he joined the military in the first place. Giron told White she has helped him stay motivated during his 13 weeks of basic training.

And all this White has done for Giron through simple letter-writing.

White, along with about 60 of her classmates, has been writing letters to members of the Second Recruit Training Battalion, Hotel Company, Platoon 2121 since mid-September. The recruits are scheduled to graduate Dec. 20.

The idea came from a friend of Little Axe High School teacher David Bounds. Bounds’ friend Mike King, a former Marine lance corporal, described what it was like during his boot camp days to see members of his platoon who never received any mail. He told Bounds of the depression and feelings of abandonment these recruits had to battle.

Bounds decided to contact the MCRD in San Diego about the possibility of his students’ adopting a platoon that would be starting basic training. Soon, Bounds said, he began receiving correspondence from the commanding general at the MCRD to set up the letter exchange.

On Sept. 13, students sent their first letters, which were distributed to members of the platoon. The next step was to wait for a response.

About 25 to 30 recruits have responded to the students’ letters. The responses encouraged the students to write again.

“It’s overwhelming to know that what we say in our letters actually influences them to get through something as tough as boot camp,” White said. White added that although writing to the recruits makes her feel good about herself, ultimately she hopes the letters are helping as much as the recruits say they are.

In White’s first letter, she simply told the anonymous recipient about herself and where she is from. She asked in return for them to do the same. In addition, White expressed the respect and pride she and her classmates feel toward the recruits’ commitment to this country.

The words she writes are a breath of fresh air to the recruits. Giron told White he doesn’t often hear people say they are proud of him and respect him for what he is doing.

“The letters keep us up when we are about to fall,” Giron wrote.

White corresponded with two recruits. She said she hopes to keep in touch with them both even after they graduate from boot camp.

Bounds said the program has been so successful he hopes to do it again next fall. He said he also is considering finding active duty military men and women for students to write to during the spring semester. He added that he hopes the program will spread to other schools and other districts.

Closer to the graduation date, Bounds plans to take a group photo of the students to send to the recruits.

The students’ excitement and willingness to write to military recruits they have never met, Bounds said, seems to be merely one example of America’s renewed patriotism.

DevilPup2004
11-17-02, 09:12 AM
That's a great idea. I think I'm gonna do the same thing myself. There's just something in the article that has me wondering:

...Bounds’ friend Mike King, a former Marine lieutenant corporal...

That's gonna drive me crazy... is he a LtCol or a LCpl??

thedrifter
11-17-02, 11:46 AM
DevilPup2004, it was a misprint in the newspaper. I made the change. I don't want you to go crazy on me.........LOL

The Drifter

DevilPup2004
11-17-02, 01:21 PM
Thanks, SSgt... LOL.