PDA

View Full Version : 200 isle Marines return from war in Afghanistan

thedrifter
01-10-06, 07:06 AM
200 isle Marines return from war in Afghanistan
The 2nd Battalion lost four members during seven months in the eastern border region
By Gregg K. Kakesako
gkakesako@starbulletin.com
Honolulu Star-Bulletin

Kaneohe Marine Cpl. Eddie Reyes expects to be by his wife's side to see the birth of their first child, Edward Jayden, possibly as early as tomorrow.

"I knew I was going to be back in time," said Reyes, minutes after his chartered commercial passenger jet landed at Marine Corps Base Hawaii at Kaneohe Bay. He and his wife, Sara -- a 2003 McKinley High School graduate -- have been married for almost a year.

"I told her not to give birth until I got back," Reyes said.

Reyes was among the more than 200 Kaneohe Marines assigned to the 2nd Battalion, 3rd Marine Regiment, who returned home after seven months in Afghanistan. They are being replaced by another set of Marines from Kaneohe: members of the 1st Battalion, 3rd Marines, who left this week.

Meanwhile, throughout this week, citizen soldiers belonging to the Hawaii Army National Guard's 29th Brigade Combat Team will make the final voyage home. More than half of the 2,200 Army National Guard and Army Reserve soldiers from Hawaii will be home by this weekend after spending 10 months in Iraq.

Nearly 900 29th Brigade soldiers will be marching into their armory at Kalaeloa over the next two days, starting with nearly 500 tomorrow night and an additional 370 on Thursday.

Pacific Army Reserve officials have set Saturday as a special homecoming ceremony for members of the 100th Battalion, which is part of the 29th Brigade, and their families at Schofield Barracks with a noon luau banquet scheduled for the following day at Area X.

Since June in Afghanistan, Marine Sgt. Michael Placencia, a platoon guide with the 2nd Battalion's G Company, said that the battalion lost four Kaneohe Marines.

The nearly 900 Kaneohe Marines were assigned to Kunar province in the mountainous eastern region of Afghanistan near the Pakistani border.

The most rewarding part of the seven-month assignment, Placencia said, was "getting friendly with the Afghan locals, letting them know we are there to help them and not take over their country ... helping them become a sovereign country."

The Afghan deployment for the 2nd Battalion Kaneohe Marines could result in the awarding of the Silver Star to one of its hospital corpsmen who, under enemy fire, saved the life of an F Company Marine.

Yesterday's Kaneohe Bay homecoming was a scene filled with fathers like Sgt. Gary Carr, who got to see his 7-month-old son, Zachary, for the first time.

"He was born two weeks after my husband left," said wife Paula, a 1988 Kamehameha Schools graduate.

Sgt. Dennis Altencio, whose daughter also was born after he deployed in June, got to hug her for the first time. "She's so big," said Altencio, "and so very precious."

On Thursday, Petty Officer Richard Rubianes, a 1992 Campbell High School graduate, will get to celebrate belatedly the first birthday of his daughter, Arianna, at his Salt Lake home.

"It's going to be more than just a homecoming celebration," said wife Abygail, a 1992 Kaimuki High School graduate.

"This time, he missed all of his three children's birthdays, as well as our fifth wedding anniversary in November, along with Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Year's," she said.

"It was a long and stressful deployment," Rubianes said.

"I am glad that I got all my Marines home safely," said the Navy petty officer, who was one of the unit's medics.

Besides getting reacquainted with his family, his wife said, "what he wants most is local food -- chicken katsu and chili franks from Zippy's."

Ellie

thedrifter
01-10-06, 10:03 AM
One Marine battalion welcomed home, another saying goodbye
Linda Coble
KHON2

It was an emotional day at the Marine Corps Base Hawaii.

One battalion of Marines and sailors returned to Kaneohe from Afghanistan, and another left to take their place.

They could barely contain themselves.

"Like, coming to this point, I am just ready," says Sarah McDonald, Marine wife.

It was a nerve racking wait for 200 Marines and sailors with the second Battalion, third Marine Regiment.

"I want him to come home now," says McDonald.

"We've been up all night trying to clean the house, make all the signs for the house and the banners going. We haven't slept," says Abygail Rubianes, Marine wife.

A lot has changed in the seven months since they've seen their men.

"He was born two weeks after my husband left to Afghanistan," says Paula Carr, Marine wife, of her new baby.

"It was hard, but you know, I was just so proud of him that he was out there doing what he believes in," says Erica Bidlake, Marine wife.

"We had a little problem at birth and they thought he was going to need brain surgery, so they sent my husband home for two weeks and he left September the ninth," says Lindsay Harrison, Marine wife.

The baby was two months old then, and doing well now.

"It's a boy, baby boy, and he's due January 11, three more days on Wednesday," says Sarah Reyes, Marine wife.

This is the first wave of second Battalion returnees. Another 200 will come home Wednesday.

It wasn't the time to talk about the fighting in Konar Province that took four of their comrades. It was time for reunion.

But across the base, in the shadow of waiting busses, it was time for goodbye for Marines with the 1st Battallion, 3rd Regiment, who are taking their place in Afghanistan.

"Oh, I am ready to go get it over with, come back, spend time with my baby. Since it's only been -- I've only had eight days with her," says 1st Lieutenant Matt Seckers, deploying Marine.

This battalion lost 44 men on its last seven-month deployment in Iraq. Memories are fresh.

They had just seven months home before boarding the buses to the military charter that, hours earlier, had brought such joy to Kaneohe.

Ellie