PDA

View Full Version : Mouse of Fire

sgt.lane
01-09-06, 10:43 AM
Flaming Mouse Burns Down Man's House
Sunday, January 08, 2006

FORT SUMNER, N.M. — A mouse got its revenge against a homeowner who tried to dispose of it in a pile of burning leaves. The blazing creature ran back to the man's house and set it on fire.

Luciano Mares, 81, of Fort Sumner said he caught the mouse inside his house and wanted to get rid of it.

"I had some leaves burning outside, so I threw it in the fire, and the mouse was on fire and ran back at the house," Mares said from a motel room Saturday.

Village Fire Chief Juan Chavez said the burning mouse ran to just beneath a window, and the flames spread up from there and throughout the house.

No was hurt inside, but the home and everything in it was destroyed.

Unseasonably dry and windy conditions have charred more than 53,000 acres and destroyed 10 homes in southeastern New Mexico in recent weeks.

"I've seen numerous house fires," village Fire Department Capt. Jim Lyssy said, "but nothing as unique as this one."

lovdog
01-09-06, 12:02 PM
The poor guy - I feel for him. Funny thing though it could happen to anybody!! But to be 81 and this to happen - I just hope he was insured!!
Reminds me - in 68 or 69?? One of those years anyway - there were some guys burning some trash at the bomb dump on the other side of Freedom Hill @ Danang. It got a little out of control - just a little. Three days later it finally fizzled itself out - about 96 million dollars worth of ordinance was lost. Maybe some of you remember this - you could see the explosions probably up to Hue City. They confined everyone to the bunkers for the first 6 or 7 hours - initially it hit the rocket storage because you could hear them whistle over your head. Pallets of 500 lb bombs were floating around at 1000 feet high -looked like nuclear explosions. It was an awesome sight. The concussion was amazing as I recall. I was sitting at the doorway of the bunker and it was breaking sandbags over my head and we were about a 1/2 mile away. At the hangers - about 1 mile away it twisted 2' steel I beams like a pretzel. The Viet Cong & NVA left us alone for a couple of weeks after that - probably figuring that if they waited long enough that we would probably kill ourselves and save them the trouble!! Luckily no one was injured bad - talk about luck!!! Oh, the good old days, sometimes I miss them, most times I don't! Goes to show ya - when Marines blow something up - they blow it up good!!! I think we always blamed that one on the Air Force though!!

BOOGIEMAN44
01-09-06, 02:25 PM
I Know How This Guy Feel's, I Lost Every Thing I Owned To A House Fire In 1994, To Include All My Marine Corps Stuff, I Had To Start Over And I Was Only 31, And Its Tough To Start From Scratch.

greensideout
01-09-06, 08:09 PM
I read this in the paper. A little hard to believe. I don't think that a mouse has enough hair to burn that long. The Fire Chief needs to ask this guy if he was using gasoline to start the fire and doused the mouse. That would be more beleivable.
Where is PETA when you need them? ;)

outlaw3179
01-10-06, 11:34 AM
Flaming Mouse Story Found To Be False
Rumor Squashed: Flaming Mouse Didn't Start House

FORT SUMNER, N.M. -- A small -town rumor that sparked world -wide interest about a mouse burning down a house has been found to be untrue.

After 81-year-old Chano Mares's house burned down Saturday in Fort Sumner, news services picked up the quirky story.

"Flaming Mouse Burns Down House" read the headline over an Associated Press story that appeared on KCCI.com, for example.

According to the initial report, Mares threw the critter in a pile of burning leaves near his home, but it ran back to the house on fire.

A local firefighter said the mouse ran to just beneath a window and the flames spread up the window and throughout the house.

All contents of the home were destroyed, but no one was injured.

Interest in fires has been high lately. Unseasonably dry and windy conditions have charred more than 53,000 acres and destroyed 10 homes in southeastern New Mexico in recent weeks.

The mouse story, however, has been doused by Mares.

"It's really humorous more than anything that a mouse burned down the house," he told KOAT-TV in Albuquerque. The mouse was dead when it hit the burning leaves.

Mares said he trapped and killed the critter and tossed it on the fire.

The flames, he said, probably reached his house because they were driven by high winds.

Capt. Jim Lyssy of the Fort Sumner Fire Department said the rumor probably got started because there was "a little too much excitement" at the time of the fire.

Mares lost everything -- and has no insurance -- but the mouse story still makes him smile.

"I started laughing, and I'll be laughing from now on," he said. "It's silly."

lovdog
01-10-06, 12:38 PM
Its hard enough to be young & this happen to you let alone when your 81!!
Fort Sumter, N.M. I've been in that town - I think thats where Billy the Kid is buried. Also there is one gravestone that reads:
"Here lies a Cowboy, hung by mistake"
Its a good town to be "from".
That area of the country is always pretty dry though, very little humidity - so when a fire starts anywhere it usually spreads pretty fast.
Anyone know if this guy is a former Marine? - if he was, I'd send him a few bucks!! If any other branch, I just send my condolences!!
Still a D*mn shame for that to happen to anybody!!
Did the mouse survive?
Now the SPCA will be doing an investigation!!
When will this madness stop?? Probably when I shut up, huh??

BOOGIEMAN44
01-10-06, 12:48 PM
Anyone know if this guy is a former Marine?

LAST TIME I CHECKED, THERE ARE NO SUCH THING AS A FORMER MARINE, YOU ARE A MARINE OR YOU ARE NOT A MARINE, ONCE YOU EARN YOUR TITLE IT IS YOURS FOR LIFE, WEATHER YOU ARE ACTIVE DUTY OR YOU ARE NOT ACTIVE DUTY, YOU STILL ARE A MARINE, ONCE YOU EARN YOUR TITLE.

yellowwing
01-10-06, 01:04 PM
I can't resist this one:
http://www.ywg-web.com/images/mouse-on-fire.jpg
That's one ANGRY mouse! :banana:

sgt.lane
01-10-06, 01:07 PM
awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!! Too Funny Lmao

outlaw3179
01-10-06, 01:17 PM
Thats funny Yellowing lol

lovdog
01-10-06, 04:31 PM
Boogieman:
I stand corrected!! Won't let that happen again.
Thats the second mistake I made since 1962, unfortunately they were both at this Website. I'm learning though, little by little.
If the gentleman is a Marine - or not a Marine, that age would have put him in WWII era. Twenty years old in 1943-1944? Either way, I bet he could tell some good stories.
Later!

lprkn
01-11-06, 09:09 PM
LAST TIME I CHECKED, THERE ARE NO SUCH THING AS A FORMER MARINE, YOU ARE A MARINE OR YOU ARE NOT A MARINE

Oh god, let's not start this again, shall we?

I swear the same old debate pops up again every couple of months, and it's just as stupid every single time.

BOOGIEMAN44
01-11-06, 10:36 PM
It May Still Pop Up As You Say, But Most Of Us Still Have Our Pride, Not Everyone Can Earn That Title, I Earned Mine, Therefore
I Am A Marine, And Will Be UNTIL The Day I Die, Did They Stop Teaching Respect For The Marine Corps In Boot Camp, Just Wondering...