PDA

View Full Version : A most sincere thank you

thedrifter
01-09-06, 10:31 AM
A most sincere thank you
Escanaba Daily Press, MI

http://www.dailypress.net/storyimage/01-c0109.jpg
PHOTO: Tube of toothpaste: regularly $2.29; toothbrush, $1.89; socks, $1.99; smile on the face of a Marine in Echo Company, Camp Blessing, Afghanistan, opening Christmas 'care' packages sent from Escanaba: PRICELESS!

Editor's note: Theresa Nelson, Retired and Senior Volunteer Program (RSVP) director at the Menominee-Delta-Schoolcraft Community Action Agency, received an official thank-you letter Tuesday, Jan. 3, for Christmas Care packages sent to Afghan-istan, written by First Lieutenant Patrick E. Kinser. His letter dated Dec. 11, 2005, is as follows:

NANGALAM, Afghanistan - I would like to express my most sincere thank you from all of the Marines and Sailors deployed to Forward Operating Base (FOB) Camp Blessing, in Nangalam, Afghanistan. You and your community have done an outstanding job with your sacrifice of personal time and resources to ensure that YOUR Marines are not without holiday cheer.

I am not sure how much you have been informed about FOB Camp Blessing, so I will take a minute and fill you in. We are centrally located in the Konar Province of Afghanistan. Our FOB is the smallest and only base in the world run totally by Marines. We have very limited resources due to our geographical isolation so it should come as no surprise how much we appreciate the personal hygiene items. My platoon along with Marines from Weapons Company, H&S Company and Weapons Platoon have been stationed here since early June.

All in all, there were roughly 87 Marines and six Sailors here on a day-to-day basis. Typically, our unit would have been rotated out due to the high level of stress and rigorous operational tempo. As was expected, the Marines and Sailors of Camp Blessing have performed impeccably.

Our bosses have had absolutely no reason whatsoever to switch us out due to the Marines impressive day-in and day-out performance. Marines of this caliber are extremely proud and thankful to have a friend such as you to support us through the holiday season when we are all away from our families.

As I understand it, you are friend of the Roy family. Corporal Roy has been a shining example of Marine Corps leadership during our entire deployment. His tireless efforts and personal sacrifice have awarded him a special place in all of our hearts and his dedication to duty and country are unmatched.

Unfortunately, I hail from the Lower Peninsula so I have had to endure multiple jokes and ribbings at my own expense about not being from "God's Country" as he so eloquently puts it. In any case, working with Corporal Roy has allowed me to give you my thanks for your incredible effort to support us here at FOB Camp Blessing.

Finally, Ms. Nelson, I would like to include in this letter of a picture of all the Marines and Sailors. You will notice that some the the individuals in the front row are not American. These soldiers are our Afghan Special Force counterparts.

We have fought and lived alongside these brave men for almost seven months now. They have endured the same hardships and struggles that the Marines and Sailors have gone through and our respect for these men grows by the day.

Along with our tremendous thanks, they salute you as well. Were it not for your amazing support, we would not have been able to fight for the freedom of their country as effectively as we have.

Whether you realize it or not, your gracious efforts have touched the lives of another nation and left an indelible mark on the Afghan community which we are a part of.

Thank you very much, Happy Holidays and SEMPER FI!!

Ellie