PDA

View Full Version : The Drum

3BadgeMarine
11-16-02, 07:44 PM
" Take my Drum to England,Hang et by the shore, strike et when your powder's runnin' low,If the Dons sight Devon I'll quit the port O' Heaven, an' drum them up the channel as we drummed them long ago.

ecomsg68
11-16-02, 08:30 PM
Earlier this summer I ran across across the John Paul Jones flagon and of course it was filled with fine Pussers Naval Rum. Needless to say it was consumered rather quickly. Then last September I was given the Lord Admiral Nelson flagon by a nice lady who had no idea what it was! Lucky me :-) So I've started collecting flagons.

The Pusser's rum is hard to find outside the Royal Navy, any idea where one can purchase it?

Here's to the wind that blows
The ship that goes
and a lass that loved
a Marine!

:marine:

3BadgeMarine
11-17-02, 06:26 AM
Ah, A Man after me own heart?,Pussers rum, It's still about and marketed under the name of 'Lambs fine old navy rum' HM Dockyard's still keep large stocks for the age old custom of splicing the 'Main brace'. I have consumed many a 'TOT' with Marine Brothers,went ashore in the Philipines with two water bottles topped up with (Nelsons Blood) Made many Friends??
Cheers Lars, I raise a glass to you and the Corps. Semper Fidelis.

ecomsg68
11-17-02, 08:30 AM
I take a metal cup and put a health jigger of naval rum over ice , add orange juice and go nuts with the bitters.

When I found the Nelson flagone I't was sitting on a dusty old falling down shelve in the back of a store room. I recognized the vessel, picked it up and it was with liquid! I got a :) on my face and asked the lady how much? "Take it ... it's just an old dusty bottle ... are your sure ... I can pay you for your troubles ... no .. no ... just get it out of here ... we'll thank you"!

My RN sister- in law and I strained the liquid and found some residue cork. "Hej what the heck ... here goes ... nothing wrong with it ... just aged to perfection". The flagon shined up like a new penny but atlast it's empty !

Thanks for the infor and I'll look for it under LAMB'S brand name

Amtracs
11-17-02, 11:15 AM
Two great posts. Three BadgeMarine, I look forward to your posts.

Lars, would you believe when I came back from Japan in 61, I had one up and one down. Maybe I should have drank rum instead of "hot saki".

Semper Fi,
Dick

ecomsg68
11-17-02, 11:52 AM
Good to hear from you Dick ...

The Nelson Flagon

http://www.internetwines.com/rws25209.html

Rob Parry
12-24-02, 02:53 PM
ecom, I've been reading these posts and catching up.........Pussers Rum, just add a drop of water if you need to, but OJ and bitters???? Lord Nelson is still spinning in his grave. Enjoy, it's a great winter warmer.

Sticky blue
01-29-03, 05:00 PM
There is only one way to drink Nelson's Blood... NEATERS! No Ice, No Water, No Lemon or other mixer. The only thing it touches are the Fanny (The vessel that is is kept in and served from), a glass or flagan and the mouth.
Lord Nelson would be doing his lid if he thought he was being watered down!
You must all double away and get a bottle each and drink it properly. Repeat the exercise seven times a day!
My dad (ex Royal Navy) still has a tot every day at 1100 hrs!

Rob Parry
01-30-03, 07:01 AM
Hey Sticks, check the old man, he's probably been dead five years but is nicely pickled!