PDA

View Full Version : CENTCOM Reports 8 January 2006

thedrifter
01-09-06, 08:12 AM
CENTCOM Reports 8 January 2006
Compiled by Doug Hanson

The CENTCOM Newsletter for the week of 2 January 2006 can be found here. Among the stories covered this week:

Camp Lemonier, Djibouti – Soldiers from several African countries have been participating in a course designed to groom young Marines into non-commissioned officers. The Corporal’s Course at Camp Lemonier, Djibouti, has left seats open to students from such countries as Djibouti, Mauritius and Comoros. The course was created as a way to help the younger enlisted Marines transition into their roles as leaders.

Al Anbar Province, Iraq – Construction started on six Compact Water Unit projects in the Al Anbar Governorate—five in the Al Rutba District and one in Ramadi. Each of the $130K CERP projects require the installation of 1,200 to 2,400 m3/day compact water units and all accessories to supply fresh water to communities ranging from 1,600 to 3,200 Iraqi residents. All of the projects have an estimated completion date of March 2006. CERP is the Commander’s Emergency Response Program—a grass roots funding program coordinated between local Iraqi leaders and their maneuver unit commanders that addresses immediate needs of the Iraqi communities.

Kabul, Afghanistan – T he Afghan National Police recently opened a new facility for its protection battalion at the Kabul International Airport. The protection battalion is a special section of the Afghan Border Police responsible for the security of the airport and air traffic, as well as that of the airport’s employees and passengers. The new facility, constructed by the German Federal Agency for Technical Relief and financed by the German Federal Foreign Office, was handed over to the Afghan Border Police on Dec. 15. The buildings, which were rebuilt and renovated during the past year, were refitted with modern conveniences such as electricity, plumbing, and kitchens, and now provide space for 120 employees.

Kandahar, Afghanistan – The engineers from Task Force Pacemaker recently completed the construction of a 66-kilometer major logistical road linking the towns of Shinkay and Qalat in eastern Afghanistan. Soldiers from Charlie Company, 864th Engineer Combat Battalion (Heavy), Task Force Pacemaker, from Fort Richardson, Alaska, began construction of the road Oct. 20 at Forward Operating Base Sweeny near Shinkay 20 kilometers from the border with Pakistan. They worked their way west through Daub Pass, a mountain trail renowned for its steep terrain, hairpin turns, inclement weather and lethal enemy threat.

CENTCOM also reports that Marine Gunnery Sgt. Adam J. Taylor, a native of St. Mary, Kan., was awarded the Bronze Star Medal Dec. 16 in recognition of his contributions in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom. Taylor served as a team leader with a Special Collections and Survey Team, 2nd Radio Battalion, II Marine Expeditionary Force, during combat operations from April 2004 to Feb. 2005. Taylor is credited with re-writing the tactical signals intelligence concepts of employment and enhancing the capability of his Marines to provide cutting-edge intelligence when they needed it most.

Taylor said he was able to accomplish his mission despite the chaotic conditions that faced him. According to his award citation, Taylor’s leadership, expertise and team building abilities also brought together national level intelligence agency support to his team’s tactical training requirements, which directly contributed to the success of his team.

“As cheesy as it sounds, I want to give a piece of this to all the Marines who were with me,” said Taylor. “I couldn’t have done it without them. They all had a direct hand in our success, and I wish I could convey that to them better.”

Ellie