PDA

View Full Version : Ramblings

firstsgtmike
11-16-02, 02:02 PM
Ramblings.

Saturday noon, my time. The wife took the kids to their grandparents. The three helpers too, the house is empty and I'm alone until I pick them up tomorrow evening.

Can you believe, three live-in helpers, 16,18,and 19 @ $25.00 per month each. If it weren't for the wife, they'd be "full service".

Truth is, at MY age, I wouldn't live til the end of the month to pay them. And my kids are going to be without a father soon enough, ( and I'll NEVER be around to see my grandkids,) so I won't push it.

I read two news articles today. The specifics are not important, but the underlying factors are.

I don't have a dictionary in front of me, but if I remember correctly, the prefix "un" means "not". The suffix "able" means "capable of" or "having the ability to".

Therefore a word, prefixed by "un" and with "able" as the suffix could be defined as "not with (or without)........(whatever the stem is)".

The word I have in mind is "unreasonable", as in the Fourth Amendment which prohibits "unreasonable searches and seizures."

IF, the searched for object is found, how can the search be declared "unreasonable"? (Not with reason)

If the searched for object was not found, THEN the question could be asked, "Was the search reasonable?"

Second item.

Same prefix, "un" meaning "not". The stem is "usual". If something occurs nine out of ten times, could it ever be called "unusual"?

What is "cruel". I thought it cruel when my mother would tell me to wait until my father got home, and he would tan my hide. I'd hand her a switch and tell HER to do it, I didn't want to wait. Waiting was cruel.

We can avoid the accusation of "cruel and unusual punishment" IF, EVERY time the death penalty was imposed, the convicted was immediately injected, subjected, connected, to laughing gas or another substance that would cause convulsions of hysterical laughter. Then, one shot, right between the eyes, would carry out the court's judgement.

Cruel? How many of us would prefer to die from an overdose of laughter, without the pain, without the agony, without the suffering most of us expect on our way out?

I think it's cruel, the way most of us will go, lingering, waiting, hoping for, praying for.

And if it is done EVERY time, how can it be called "unusual"?

Ask a Marine, he'll tell you how to get things done.
-------------------------------------------------------

Cruel and unusual? I don't think so.

On Okinawa, in the early '60s, the Corps had a policy. Catching the clap meant an automatic 30 days medical restriction to BASE. Non-punitive, not in your SRB, a series of penacilon treatments to cure you, and not wanting reinfection from a strain that had developed resistance to penacilon, you were isolated until completely cured. (I told you I didn't have a dictionary with me.)

I was sitting in a bar, dark inside, bright sunlight outside. A Marine, standing in the doorway, waiting for his eyes to get accumulated to the darkness spotted a girl.

"You *****, you slut, you *****, you ****, 30 mother****ing days of restriction, you gave me the clap, you *****, you *****, you gave me the clap." With this, he stopped to take a breath.

I was wondering how she would respond, with her reputation at stake, her position in the bar-girl community was exposed to all.

In a quiet, unemotional voice she told him, "I GIVE you NOTHING, g.i. you BUY."

He didn't have to open the door to leave, he slithered out in the crack between the door and the floor.

------------------------------------------------------------------
One of the nice things about middle age is that you know how the rest of your life will turn out.

Once you get past THAT stage, you wonder and marvel about the things that got you to where you are.

If I had done this........, if I had done that ................
I wouldn't be here, but where the hell would I be?

Personally, I'm afraid. I must be going to hell. And my present life is the only part of heaven that I will ever get to see.

Today, it's enough, it's all that I want. Hell will be a brain injection that will create unfulfilled desires.

OR, WHAT YOU SEE IS WHAT YOU GET. Nothing more.

I can live with that. The spirits of the Marines before me only live in my heart, and before I move on, I must pass the torch. As long as they are remembered, they will not die.

(Don't you wish my wife and kids had stayed home this weekend?)

I am and I will forever be

ALWAYS FAITHFUL to the Corps and to my Brothers.

Frank
11-18-02, 04:16 PM
Ramble on, Brother.

Semper Fidelis, Frank

JAMarine
11-18-02, 05:58 PM
You Do make sense Mike.

You'll be here for a long time to come.

Glad you here.

rich

ecomsg68
11-18-02, 06:21 PM
Life does not consist mainly--or even largely--of facts and happenings. It consists mainly of the storm of thoughts that is forever blowing through one's head.

- Mark Twain's Autobiography -

:glasses: