PDA

View Full Version : Local man donates bowl games tickets

thedrifter
01-05-06, 05:33 PM
Local man donates bowl games tickets
MCRD San Diego
Story by Lance Cpl. Kaitlyn M. Scarboro

MARINE CORPS RECRUIT DEPOT SAN DIEGO (Jan. 6, 2006) -- Ticket donations from a nonprofit public benefit corporation allowed depot Marines to attend the Pacific Life Holiday Bowl, Oklahoma Sooners vs. Oregon Ducks, at Qualcomm Stadium, Dec. 29.

Jim Dillon, the founder and president of the Dillon Foundation, donated 25 Holiday Bowl tickets to the Marines, as well as 127 Poinsettia Bowl tickets the previous week.

"I look at it as an opportunity for people - men, women, young, old-to go out and experience. I'm just trying to create happy memories for these people. You're not putting somebody on the moon here, just putting a smile on somebody's face," he said.

Dillon donates tickets annually to San Diego military and needy children throughout California because they might not be able to afford a ticket to the game.

"It's a simple way of saying thanks, a way of paying back," he said. "If I had the funds, if I was a bazzillionaire, I would send everyone at Camp Pendleton and fill up the stadium."

The Dillon Foundation is funded by Dillon's personal funds. Small contributions from local community members are appreciated but the main source of money is from Dillon.

The 23rd-ranked Sooners beat out the 5th-ranked Ducks with a final score of 17-14.

Ellie