PDA

View Full Version : Appreciating a generous gesture to wounded troops

thedrifter
01-05-06, 01:32 PM
Ronnie Polaneczky | Appreciating a generous gesture to wounded troops
Philly.com

IT'S BEEN two weeks since I wrote about Bennett and Vivian Levin. But my mailbox is still bursting with reaction to the couple's generosity toward wounded troops from Walter Reed Army Medical Center and Bethesda Naval Hospital.

"I served three tours in Vietnam and can't remember anyone doing anything like this for the injured soldiers, sailors and Marines that came home from the hospital," wrote James L. Wright Jr.

"The Levins and others involved in this truly beautiful act of love are loved right back by every one of us who have heard of their selflessness or served in the U.S. military," echoed veteran Chuck Lynch.

Aaron Siegel, president of the Freedoms Foundation in Valley Forge, wants to give the couple a medal. And reader Paul DeRosa thinks Levin, Philly's former L&I commissioner, oughtta run for president.

"He has my vote already," DeRosa vowed.

It was this time last year that the Levins, saddened by reports of wounded American troops, decided to honor them with a round-trip ride from Washington to Philadelphia for the annual Army-Navy game.

On Dec. 3, the vets were transported aboard a train of 18 privately operated luxury rail cars - three owned by the Levins, the others donated by owners from around the country.

The cars were sumptuous: mahogany paneled walls, white-linen dining areas, plush seating. Throughout the day, the soldiers were feted like royalty - all under the radar, though, lest the outing become a media circus or politicians' photo op.

Some of the soldiers were limbless, or wheelchair-bound. Others were hooked to IVs. All were left flabbergasted by the Levins' gesture, which had consumed months of planning and thousands of dollars in goods and services - all in an effort, said Bennett, to provide these heroes with "a first-class experience."

One blind Marine gripped Levin in an emotional bear hug at day's end and said, "I can't see you, but man, you must be f---ing beautiful!"

As the Levins' story was e-mailed around the world (who knew that folks in Prague and the UK read the Daily News?), some readers doubted such support for our troops and asked if the story were true.

Others were grateful to hear that returning soldiers were welcomed as heroes, not snubbed as second-class citizens.

"It has been way too many years since the American people have recognized what these service people do for our country," wrote Judith Young, whose son was killed in the 1983 Marine barracks bombing in Beirut. "Appreciation has not been seen like this since World War II."

Some readers wrote to share their own acts of generosity toward the troops.

Mark Masinter of Dallas told how his family raised $15,000 at his son's bar mitzvah to send holiday gifts and medical supplies to a combat hospital, as well as to give a $3,000 donation to the Fallen Patriot Fund.

Gail Dwyer of Little Rock, Ark., wrote how a friend of hers, whose husband is in his third tour of duty in Iraq, visits Walter Reed hospital every Sunday to comfort the troops there.

Maybe she runs into Joyce Press, who belongs to a group called the Jewish Institute for National Security Affairs, which sponsors a weekly steak night for troops at a great restaurant near Walter Reed.

If there's any doubt that their gestures are meaningful, one has only to read the thoughts of Jenny Fiore of Madison, Wis., whose husband is serving in Kuwait.

She wrote:

"He has been gone four months, during which time our only child has turned 2, learned to count to 'eleventeen' and ask where Daddy is.

"I know there are people throughout our country who want to show their appreciation to our soldiers, and I take great solace in reading their stories. It truly takes a little of the sting out of my family's separation... .

"The Levins could have easily made out a hefty donation and crossed the soldiers off their holiday list. Instead they gave of their time and their hearts in a thoughtful way that will not soon be forgotten."

No, indeed.

E-mail polaner@phillynews.com or call 215-854-2217. For recent columns: go.philly.com/polaneczky

Ellie