Florida man being held at Camp Lejeune charged with desertion <br />
<br />
Wednesday, January 4, 2006; Posted: 9:44 a.m. EST (14:44 GMT) <br />
<br />
<br />
CAMP LEJEUNE, North...

outlaw3179
01-04-06, 10:26 AM
Tod Ensign, an attorney with the advocacy group Citizen Soldier in New York, said Texiero left Camp Pendleton in 1965 because "he decided he wasn't going to be part of it and didn't go."

LOL...oh is that the way it works?????

redneck13
01-04-06, 09:30 PM
Being a Nam Vet? I don't have too much problems with those who went to Canada to avoid the draft in this "stupid run" war. But, this Dude? Hey? If you're in, you're in. You will obey and serve. So I think he should receive a hell of lot more than what he will possibly get. Who in the world in their right mind wants to go to a "combat War zone" and possibly get wounded or killed? Easy. "NOBODY." But. Nobody made him put his name on the line. When I got my order's for West Pac? Hell I was scared to death. But, I made the choice to put my name on that line, and what came with it? That's what you did. So "SOCK IT TO HIM."

greensideout
01-04-06, 10:24 PM
Wind'nface, I think that you said it well, however if the folks that went to Canada get off, why not this guy? The war in Nam began to suck buttermilk and he may have been a draftee that had it figured out. It's not like he did a cut and run---he never got there. (Most likely that's good. I would not have wanted him by my side.) Looking back, I say let him go.

hrscowboy
01-05-06, 12:21 AM
yup i have to agree with GSO at least he didnt cut and run to canada like the others did and got reprived, so what Now lets make an example of him and not the others bull crap let him go.

montana
01-05-06, 01:51 AM
How about this..we had a inlisted Marine boot sent to our outfit the first night we had a little trubble therw down his rifle and refuse to pick it up or have any part of it...i was gone at the time...on the way back checked in at HQ on l z ross top brings him over to me and askes me to talk to him...i aint figured that one out being my limeted education an all...asked him if he was drafted...he said no...asked him what the hell he thought they were doing in the Marine corps with the "police action" and all going on...said he didnt think it would be like this...asked him iffen he was just stooped or some other problem...said no but he just didnt want to be there anymore...told him to get out of my face or he wouldnt be...never heard what happend to him....

Phantom Blooper
01-05-06, 05:42 AM
Florida man faces charges he deserted Marines 40 years ago <br />
<br />
January 05,2006 <br />
BY CHRIS MAZZOLINI <br />
DAILY NEWS STAFF <br />
<br />
Without question, Jerry Texiero doesn't look like most who find themselves...

outlaw3179
01-05-06, 06:52 PM
So if Marines dont want to go to Iraq they should just desert? Just because they dont want to go? Maybe I didnt understand the comments but I 100% disagree. I will never have respect for someone who did not answer when his nation called.

hrscowboy
01-05-06, 07:09 PM
All i am saying is that if we burn this man and we didnt burn the others that went to canada why should one get burned and not the others.. We are talking about the Vietnam era vet Not the iraq era vet..

BOOGIEMAN44
01-05-06, 07:37 PM
I See A Damned If You Do And A Damned If You Don't Situation, If You Burn The Marine For Leaving, You Have To Do Something To All Who Went To Cananda, If You Don't Burn Him, You Open The Door For Any One Else WHO Don't Want To Go To War, So Which Is The Less Of The To Evil's, Any One Who Put's There Name On The Dotted Line Know's, What "could" Happen... So Who Want's To Flip The Coin ???

hrscowboy
01-05-06, 08:17 PM
I guess i dont see the difference? I have not seen any men or women running to another country to stay out of iraq like i did when my war of vietnam was going on. Yes i say give him a dishonorable...

ivalis
01-05-06, 08:34 PM
Nobody is leaving the country to avoid Iraq because there isn't a draft.

Whole differrent set of rules now.

BigPhil
01-05-06, 09:45 PM
I maybe wrong but I thought that most of the one's that went to Canada went to void the draft. This man was in the Corps when he left, He shoud have known what to expect from his actions. I fell no regrets for this man, I know to many Marines that didn't want to go to Nam, and did not make it home.

Amtracs
01-05-06, 09:52 PM
In 1965 there was no Anti-War movement because it just started. Rlt-7 was the first unit from Camp Pen. Some of their units (3/7)were involved in "Operation Starlite" (18 aug 1965). It hit the paper back in the states When RLT-5 left in aug (me) departed. I don't know when RLT-1 left but it had to be in 65 or very early in 66

My feeling is he was just plain "chickensh t". The "Maggot" also lives in my area. I hope his life gets Fu--ked up good over this. Their are a lot of 18 year olds on the wall that went.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Semper Fi,
Dick Lavello (Tampa)

hrscowboy
01-05-06, 10:25 PM
like i said give him a dishonorable and be done with it and get back to the big picture of bringing our ladys and gents home...enuff said for this cowboy..

greensideout
01-05-06, 10:26 PM
Amtracs, I was there in '62. By the time you went I knew that things were going wrong. The French were using mech units to fight and it just didn't work because of the weather there. Bogged down was the name of their game. We began the vertical assault method with helos. It worked VERY WELL! But when the mech war started things went south. Knowing what I knew then, I would not have wanted to go there to fight in a manner that had already been proven to be non successful. Sure our troops won the battles with their courage and combat skill, but you know the rest of the story.
The Marine deserted, how about 6-6 and a kick? No, that would require back pay. Again, just let him go.

GySgtRet
01-06-06, 07:02 AM
The message that I see is that it is ok to run. I never served in combat, not that I wouldn't have, I was lucky. The UCMJ was created for a purpose and that is to serve good order and discipline. Half of me says let him go, the other half says go to the fullest extent of the UCMJ. I am not sure what would be served by putting him in the brig at Camp Lejeune would do for sure. This doesn't furnish a good picture for good order and discipline for me. If he was an NCO as I read in a few posts then he wasn't presenting a good leadership example anyway. This Citizen Soldier crap saying the Marine Corps has the burden of proof that he wasn't serving where he was supposted to be is another little bit of information for them. When I was in the Marine Corps kept excellent records on deployments.

Just my two cents worth... Use the UCMJ....!!!!
:evilgrin:

Wyoming
01-06-06, 07:23 AM

He deserted.

He should pay the price.

His lawyers are using spin tactics, comparing him to 70, 80, 90 year olds and saying he is 'old and infirm'.

He was an E-4, in 1965, and 24 years old.

He wasn't drafted.

He enlisted.

He should pay the price.

outlaw3179
01-06-06, 12:05 PM
Nobody is leaving the country to avoid Iraq because there isn't a draft.

Whole differrent set of rules now.

(CBS) The Pentagon says more than 5,500 servicemen have deserted since the war started in Iraq.

60 Minutes Wednesday found several of these deserters who left the Army or Marine Corps rather than go to Iraq. Like a generation of deserters before them, they fled to Canada.

What do these men, who have violated orders and oaths, have to say for themselves? They told Correspondent Scott Pelley that conscience, not cowardice, made them American deserters.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"I was a warrior. You know? I always have been. I’ve always felt that way -- that if there are people who can’t defend themselves, it’s my responsibility to do that," says Pfc. Dan Felushko, 24.

It was Felushko's responsibility to ship out with the Marines to Kuwait in Jan. 2003 to prepare for the invasion of Iraq. Instead, he slipped out of Camp Pendleton, Calif., and deployed himself to Canada.

"I didn’t want, you know, 'Died deluded in Iraq' over my gravestone," says Felushko. "If I'd gone, personally, because of the things that I believed, it would have felt wrong. Because I saw it as wrong, if I died there or killed somebody there, that would have been more wrong."

He told Pelley it wasn't fighting that bothered him. In fact, he says he started basic training just weeks after al Qaeda attacked New York and Washington –- and he was prepared to get even for Sept. 11 in Afghanistan.

But Felushko says he didn't see a connection between the attack on America and Saddam Hussein.

"(What) it basically comes down to, is it my right to choose between what I think is right and what I think is wrong?" asks Felushko. "And nobody should make me sign away my ability to choose between right and wrong."

But Felushko had signed a contract to be with the U.S. Marine Corps. "It's a devil's contract if you look at it that way," he says.

How does he feel about being in Toronto while other Marines are dying in Fallujah, Najaf and Ramadi?

"It makes me struggle with doubt, you know, about my decision," says Felushko.

What does he say to the families of the American troops who have died in Iraq?

"I honor their dead. Maybe they think that my presence dishonors their dead. But they made a choice the same as I made a choice," says Felushko. "My big problem is that, if they made that choice for anything other than they believed in it, then that's wrong. Right? And the government has to be held responsible for those deaths, because they didn’t give them an option."
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Felushko’s father is Canadian, so he has dual citizenship, and he can legally stay in Canada. But it’s not that easy for other American deserters.

Canadian law has changed since the Vietnam era. Back then, an estimated 55,000 Americans deserted to Canada or dodged the draft. And in those days, Canada simply welcomed them.

Theres alot more to this article but for space i cut it down..im also including the link if anyone wants to go to it. So whats going to happen to thees guys? should we just let them go?

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2004/12/06/60II/main659336.shtml

yellowwing
01-06-06, 12:58 PM
Maybe they think that my presence dishonors their dead.
This kid is missing the point. His absence dishonors himself.

Anyone over 9 years old knows the difference in breaking a promise and breaking your word.

"Sorry, I had to fix my truck so I can't pay you that $50 right now," is different than going back on your word, "I do solemly swear that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same..."

rb1651
01-06-06, 01:02 PM
H***no, they shouldn't be allowed to walk free. I say that if they ever come back to the United States, put their cowardly a**** on the next jet to the Middle East. When I joined the Corps I did what I was ordered to do, (as long as it was a legal order and not in violation of the UCMJ) as my contract stated as a requirement.

Just my opinion.

lovdog
01-07-06, 01:51 AM
The lovdog here - gotta add my 2 cents! <br />
One thing for sure - most of you &quot;agree to disagree&quot; on this issue! I have found thru the years its not a good idea sometimes to jump to conclusions without...

hrscowboy
01-07-06, 04:04 AM
Well know we hear more on this story that he was thief also stealing 5,000 worth of stuff and i was to believe that he just didnt want to go Vietnam, so my 2 cents on this now is if he took 5,000 worth of stuff or stole that much hang his arse out to dry big time because he took from the taxpayer and that really gets my arse. I have no use for thiefs or crooks what so ever...

lovdog
01-07-06, 12:35 PM
Cowboy:

If he's guilty - how about we just send him out to Kansas, you take him out to the Mesa - bury him up to the neck, pour honey over his head next to one of those big ol' red ant hills - I say if he survives 24 hours - let him go!!!
Or - I could take him back in one of our old coal mines back here, throw in a stick of dynamite - if he digs himself out - we let him go!!
A jar of honey - $2.95, a stick of dynamite + a match - $6.75!! Ok you win!!
Since your situated in the middle of the good ol' USA anyway - We'll probably give you the honors!!

hrscowboy
01-07-06, 02:34 PM
hahahaha how about a good oak tree and a rope and tell him if the rope breaks your free but if not well so sorry you damn thief ..