PDA

View Full Version : Veterans recall serving nation during Christmas

thedrifter
01-03-06, 11:02 AM
Veterans recall serving nation during Christmas
By Kevin Ryden
Olney Daily Mail

Rev. Gary Wachtel remembers being able to come home for Christmas in 1968 during his military training, but he also remembers many others were not as lucky and had to spend their holidays thousands of miles away from home.

During the time Wachtel was in the military, however, there was one place many people would rather not be.

“In ‘68 your best Christmas present was not to be in Vietnam,” Wachtel said.

Many troops, both in the United States and abroad, will not be opening presents on Christmas Day or spending time with family and friends.

Wachtel came home while in-between basic training and advanced infantry training. “It was a surprise because I didn't think that we would (be able to go home),” he said.

But many of his friends and classmates were in Vietnam at the time, he remembered.

His son, Eric Wachtel, will not be able to come home for the holidays, he said, because he is in the Air Force and is serving in a location that is undisclosed for security purposes.

Jerry Rohr was in the Navy in 1943 and remembers spending Christmas in Honolulu. “A little bit of beer,” he said when asked how the holiday was celebrated on base before saying, “No. There wasn't much celebrating to it.”

Charles Brown was in the Marines from 1945-46 and was away for Christmas one year, but he doesn't remember much about it other than his girlfriend buying presents for his parents while he was stationed in Hawaii.

“I don't remember much about Christmas,” he said. “I don't know if it meant much to me at that time anyway.”

During Christmas 1968, Aaron Treece was stationed in Germany with the Army as a combat engineer and Christmas was more than just another day. “Yeah, they made a big deal out of it,” he said.

There was a dance and party, but he did not get any gifts. He said he came home that February anyway.

Patrick M. McLaughlin, who was in the Air Force from 1970-73, said he cannot relate to spending the holidays overseas like many other soldiers can, but he remembered spending New Year's Eve in 1971 atop the Pentagon fixing a communications antennae.

“It was hectic,” he said of the time. He feels good in knowing that he at least helped people be able to communicate with one another that year.

Christmas 1985 was not a fun one for Rick Elliott, who was in the Army and stationed at Fort Bliss in Texas at the time. His wife and children called him but were upset that he could not be there.

“It kind of brings you down real quick,” he said.

But he said he understands that being away from home is part of the deal of being in the military. It is why Americans enjoy the freedoms they have, he said, and big and small sacrifices have been made for that to continue.

“Would I do it again? Yeah,” he said.

Lloyd Lemke, who joined the Army National Guard in 1960 and is the current commander of the American Legion Post No. 30, had to spend some holidays away from home while stationed in the country.

“It was like any other day,” he said. “You always had a good meal.”

He does not remember any particular Christmas during that time, but he can relate to soldiers who will not be home with their families Sunday.

“I know what the troops are going through today,” he said.

Ellie

greensideout
01-03-06, 07:40 PM
The least of their worries.