View Full Version : Show of confidence

thedrifter
01-03-06, 05:39 AM
Show of confidence
Marine reservists: Unit excited, nervous about Iraq deployment
By Bob Okon
staff writer
The Herald News

JOLIET — Marine reservists leaving Joliet on Monday expressed a variety of emotions for the journey that will take them to Iraq in the spring.

The moods ranged from nervousness to excitement. But the Marines expressed confidence that their training would serve them well when they reach Iraq in the spring.

Bravo Battery, 1st Battalion, 14th Marine Regiment of the 4th Marine Division left its Joliet headquarters on McDonough Street for final training in California.

The battery is scheduled to arrive in Iraq sometime in the spring for a variety of assignments, including prison guard duty.

"I'm nervous," said Pvt. Arnulfo Quintero from Joliet. "But with the training I've had, I feel confidence in myself."

Quintero, 24, like his brother, Pvt. Ismael Quintero, faces the possibility of military conflict for the first time.

"For most Marines here, it's going to be their first deployment," said Capt. Alex Chang, a platoon commander with the unit.

Nevertheless, Chang said, "I think the mood overall is they're excited."

Chang was in Iraq in 2003. But Bravo Battery hasn't been deployed since Desert Storm, the previous war in Iraq.

"It basically comes down to your turn in the barrel," Chang said. "We've been training for the last two years — basically since the war began."

The Marines in Bravo Battery range in age and even come from different towns. They're not all from the Joliet area. Chang is from Des Plaines, and one of the reservists actually is from California, he said.

Chang would not say how many reservists from Bravo Battery are headed for Iraq.

The Marines boarded buses that would take them to O'Hare International Airport, where they take a flight to California on Monday night. They will train for the next few months at a Marine base in southern California before being sent to Iraq.

The scene at McDonough Street headquarters was businesslike as weapon-carrying Marines in uniform attended to last-minute preparations. Family members had gathered there the day before to say their good-byes.

The reservists received a catered meal that they ate off of plastic plates, sitting on the floor as they waited for the bus to arrive.

There had been fancier send-offs in the previous days. Veterans of Foreign Wars Cantigny Post 367 held a farewell party for the reservists Dec. 23, combining appreciation for their work with some holiday gift-giving. The event was called Operation Desert Sleigh.

On Monday, camera crews and reporters from three TV stations were at the training headquarters to record the Marines' departure.

Marines were cautioned against sharing specific details about their assignment, but were told to feel free to talk otherwise.

Pvt. Ismael Quintero said with a smile, "I think I'll come back alive. I know what I'm getting myself into, so I'm just getting myself prepared."

Being prepared was very important to the Marines.

"I feel good" said Pvt. First Class Emmanuel Perez, 20, of Aurora. "I feel confident about the Marines that I'll be with."
01/03/06

Ellie

This is only a PREVIE

greensideout
01-03-06, 08:15 PM
Marines have a leg up and they know it.