PDA

View Full Version : LA fireman builds career around selfless service

thedrifter
12-31-05, 07:26 AM
LA fireman builds career around selfless service
II Marine Expeditionary Force (FWD)
Story by Cpl. Heidi E. Loredo

CAMP FALLUJAH, Iraq (Dec. 31, 2005) --
When his unit was activated, Sgt. David A. Arellano, watch chief, 5th Battalion, 14th Marine Regiment, was faced with the difficult decision: should he remain behind fighting fires or deploy to Iraq with Marines he has served with for more than eight years?

The 25-year-old Marine reservist, who is also a two-year veteran of the Los Angeles Fire Department unselfishly, put his flame fighting days on hold to deploy with his Marines, a provisional military police battalion.

The Santa Clarita, Calif., native, enlisted into the Marine Corps Reserve on Christmas Eve 1997.

“I always thought it was a duty that guys had to do,” said Arellano, whose father has been a police officer with the Los Angeles Police Department for 30 years. “I felt I had to do my time. My dad was really pushing for my brother and me to go into the military. He told us it would make us men; and that it did. It made us stronger and well-rounded.”

Aside from his father’s advice, his grandfather and his brother were his inspiration. Arellano’s grandfather was a Marine during World War II and took part in several battles including Tarawa. His brother was also a Marine and the person Arellano always looked up to with reverence.

“He was activated during OIF I and took part in the march to Baghdad,” said Arellano. “He paved the way for me.”

Arellano knew he wanted to continue his education; however he also wanted the military background and discipline the Marine Corps offered. Instead of opting to enlist as an active duty Marine, he chose to be a reservist instead.

“I knew there was more to life than active duty,” said Arellano. “I wanted part of my life to be with the Corps, and I wanted to continue to pursue my passion which is to help people.”

While attending College of the Canyon in Valenica, Calif., Arellano took a pyrotechnical course, coincidently an introduction course required by the fire department. The class introduced him to the world of fighting fires and he continuously grew more interested in it.

“I’ve completed two associates’ degrees, which in my frame of mind equals a bachelor’s degree,” joked Arellano.

It wasn’t until he visited a job expo in his hometown did he see the possibility of becoming a firefighter, an ambition of his since attending his first class in college where he learned to love the history of the fire department.

“Firefighters used to put out fires with buckets by forming bucket brigades,” said Arellano. “There is so much tradition in everything that we do today. Like ladders, the city continues to use wooden ladders because it’s a very traditional piece of equipment.”

From the first moment at a new fire station he was introduced to fire service traditions.

“Being a rookie is a huge tradition to me because you learn so much about being a civil servant,” said Arellano. “You are the person who eats last, finishes first, washes dishes and offers the superiors anything they may need. Some people would consider it hazing but it’s traditional.”

Arellano said much like Marines no matter the rank or time in service, from the oldest person to the newest, everyone in the station puts in hard work.

When Arellano’s contract with the Marines came up he was not obligated to drill anymore, however he chose to continue. When he received word his unit was to be activated, he had to decide whether he should deploy or remain behind.

“I just started with the fire department, I had a wonderful girl back home and things were falling into place. I didn’t feel obligated to go but I did feel responsible for some of the Marines here because I’ve been with them for almost eight years now. I’ve seen some of them grow up to be fine Marines and I didn’t want to leave them.”

Arellano is anxious to return home to be with his family and his fiancé, whom he proposed to before his departure. The fire station he belonged to supports him during his deployment and he often receives packages from firefighters back home.

“They’re really supportive,” said Arellano. “The awesome thing about the fire department is that it’s exactly like the Marine Corps. They hold tradition in high value. It’s a great brotherhood and I plan on growing old in the fire department. I’ve gone to visit these firefighters and I learned wherever you’re at in the world you’re a firefighter and they consider you a brother.”

Ellie