PDA

View Full Version : Young men proud of serving their country

thedrifter
12-31-05, 07:23 AM
From BMHS to Marines
Young men proud of serving their country
By Rebekah Danaher
Daily News staff writer

They've only had their drivers licenses for three years and voting eligibility for a year. They aren't even legally allowed to drink a beer.

And yet, these five fresh-faced teenagers are among the nation's fewest and the proudest.

Just under two years ago Lance Cpl. David Adams, 19, Pvt. John Pieper, 20, Lance Cpl. Allen Kiser, 19, Lance Cpl. Andrew Smith, 19, and Pvt. Jacob Leonhard, 19, wore graduation gowns as they departed Beloit Memorial High School.

Now they wear the U.S. Marine Corps blue.

The young Marines are in town this week on recruiting assistance duty, enjoying a little holiday time with their families in Beloit before heading back to their duty stations. All except Pvt. Pieper were involved with the BMHS Junior ROTC, which they say led to their recruitment for the Marine Corps.

Between their white hats and their stiff collars, the Marines' faces are serious, but when their caps are doffed, their bright grins betray their youth.

But the young men have made their rite of passage. All completed boot camp at Camp Pendelton in southern California within the last two years.

It's definitely not a walk in the park, they say.

“You get broke all the way down and they rebuild you the way they want you,” Adams said.

“It's mental and physical,” Kiser added.

Adams was the first of the BMHS grads to head off to training. Boot camp for Lance Cpl. Adams, who graduated early from BMHS, began on Jan. 26, 2004. He finished and entered Infantry Training Battalion, completing a two-month training.

Adams serves with the 4th Marine Expeditionary Brigade Anti-Terrorism Battalion Alpha Company. Being a member of the infantry makes him a “grunt” because, he said, the infantry is the first of the Marines to go into an area.

The others grinned as they explained that they are called “pogs” - persons other than grunts. The four have or are currently obtaining their Military Occupational Specialty (MOS).

While they chide Adams for his grunt status, Adams said he intentionally chose to join the infantry.

“The infantry definitely has the most pride,” Adams said. “We're put through the most stress. Everything revolves around the infantry.”

Unlike the pogs who pass through a more brief Marine combat training, infantry men participate in a more intensive program, becoming familiar with all firearms and equipment.

“We have to know everyone else's job,” Adams said.

The other young men agreed that the infantry does share the tightest bond but believe the Marines in general possess a camaraderie unmatched by the other military branches.

That brotherhood is what attracted Kiser to the Marines.

“I thought about the military before anything happened,” he said. “After 9/11 I decided I was going to join no matter what. I found in the Marine Corps there's a lot more pride. Espri de Corps.”

Kiser said he knew if he were to be in combat he would want fellow Marines looking out for him.

Considering the ongoing situation in the Middle East, Pieper said he assumed one day his service would be needed and by joining the Marines he felt he would be best prepared for conflict.

“I wanted to make sure I could count on the guy next to me,” he said.

The young men believe what makes the military so strong is its volunteer nature. They enter knowing there is a job to do and they intend to do it right, Leonhard said.

Even if it means going to war.

“It's what I got to do for my country,” Smith said. “After 9/11 it seemed it had weakened. I just wanted to help it.”

Some of these Marines may not see Iraq at all. With the United States indicating it will begin pulling troops out of Iraq in the coming year, Adams said his comrades might not be sent to the conflict.

He himself has already served six months in Iraq. His company arrived in Kuwait City on March 8 and was in Baghdad by March 9.

While there, Adams was on patrol duty, moving to posts throughout Iraq.

Adams says he's been in some intense situations, including enemy fire and roadside bombs. He remembers the first bomb he witnessed on his first day in Iraq.

“The first couple times it makes you jump,” he said. “By the time you leave you get used to it.”

In dangerous situations, Adams said he realized the purpose for the relentless drills and repetitive exercises at boot camp.

“There's so much training, it just comes second hand,” he said. “When you hear a mortar go off your mind goes blank.”

With every attack, Adams says there is the wondering when one's luck might run out.

“It goes through your mind, this could be the one,” he said.

Adams is stationed back with his fleet in Camp Lejeune, North Carolina now but will return to Iraq in March.

Rather than cringing while listening to Adams' harrowing stories of his tour in Iraq, the others say they are actually inspired and would go to Iraq willingly.

To them, it's the job they've been trained to do.

Kiser, who is attached to the 24th Marine Expeditionary Unit believes he might be sent to Iraq.

In September, Kiser's service was needed at home. He was called up to assist with Hurricane Katrina recovery, staying in the Gulf region until October.

All of the young men say they will likely make the military their career but will wait to see how the next few years in the Middle East progress.

Adams and Kiser plan to pursue officer status with the Marines.

Walking down the street in their uniforms, the five straighten proudly as cars honk and motorists wave.

But Adams says his reception back from Iraq isn't always friendly.

His uniform has garnered some nasty looks from people who oppose the war.

But reflecting on the small victories and glimmers of progress in Iraq, Adams says he has reason to be pleased.

“People call you cocky for acting like that,” he said. “To me, it feels like I did my job.”

Ellie