PDA

View Full Version : Ellenburgh, N.Y., native supports front lines

thedrifter
12-30-05, 07:06 AM
Ellenburgh, N.Y., native supports front lines
2nd Marine Logistics Group
Story by Lance Cpl. Joel Abshier

CAMP TAQADDUM, Iraq (Dec. 30, 2005) -- There are more than 22,000 Marines with II Marine Expeditionary Force units deployed in Iraq. Many of them are serving on the front lines, outside the wire, however, they would not be operating successfully without having proper administrative support backing them.

Administrative Marines like Lance Cpl. Lee R. LaValley Jr., an administration clerk with 8th Engineer Support Battalion, 2nd Marine Logistics Group (Forward), routinely ensure Marines within their respective units have continuous administrative support.

“I like working here compared to Camp Lejeune, [N.C.],” LaValley admits. “Although the weather is ridiculous, I know this is where I need to be.”

Although Iraq is a combat zone with many potential dangers, LaValley explained it is nothing that his family should worry about.

“After my brother came here with the Army, my mother has always been worried. As soon I deployed, my family have shown me nothing but support and love,” the Ellenburgh, N.Y., native said. “They send me letters, MotoMail, packages, and have nothing bad to say about the war in Iraq. Ultimately, they support what I do.”

LaValley, as well as many other service members who raised their right hands at a Military Entrance Processing Station after Sept. 11, 2001, joined not because of his recruiter but because of a greater understanding that his country was in a time of need.

“I was a junior in high school and I remember the day like it was yesterday,” LaValley said. “I felt like I had a patriotic duty to fight for what others were trying to take away. “

LaValley placed his feet on the famed yellow footprints of Marine Corps Recruit Depot Parris Island, S.C., in September of 2003, and explained it was a day he was reborn.

Shortly thereafter, he attended the Personnel Administration School at Camp Johnson, N.C., where he learned correspondence, terminology and the basic structure of how the
administrative side of the Marine Corps operates.

His first duty station was at Camp Hansen in Okinawa, Japan. This was an opportune place to hone not only his occupation, but also his basic understanding of how Marines conduct themselves outside of a training environment.

“Okinawa was a great start to my Marine Corps career,” LaValley said. “However, many units were very restricted and had many enforced rules upon the Marines because of the fear of causing an international incident.”

While in Okinawa, he went on many short deployments, which he says helped shape him into the Marine he is today.

“I remember one particular deployment to Yausubetsu [Maneuver Area in Hokkaido, Japan] with [3rd Marine Division, 12th Marine Regiment] during an artillery relocation exercise,” LaValley said. “Working in the field, I understood the meaning of camaraderie. I am still friends with most of the Marines I was there with.”

After serving a year overseas, he changed duty stations to Marine Corps Base Camp Lejeune, N.C., where he discovered that that his new unit operated much differently from his previous one.

“Obviously your leaders are going to be different because of the location,” LaValley said. “Work sections in Okinawa spent more time together and were closer together for the fact that most of their families were stateside. Luckily once I arrived to my new unit, the work schedule was pretty much the same.”

Although living close to the ocean in North Carolina was nice, it was nothing compared to being back with friends and family in his small hometown of a little more than 3,000 residents, LaValley said smiling.

Five months after arriving at Lejeune, LaValley, as well as thousands of other Marines from 2nd MLG (Fwd), deployed to Camp Taqaddum, Iraq, in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom.

“I have the same job I had at Lejeune, but honestly, I don’t do it as much,” he admitted. “I’ve been helping with a lot of work details, as well as being the publisher/designer with 1st Lt. [Shanelle A.] Porter of the 8th ESB newsletter that is sent out every month here.”

Although he doesn’t go outside the wire routinely, he understands that his job directly supports the Marines who do.

If a Marine on the front line is getting paid the right amount of money each month, has a current and up-to-date training record and gets help with his Marine Corps Institute examinations then LaValley knows he is doing his job well.

“I feel that my job as an administration clerk is and will always be needed,” he said. “Sure, the glory of combat isn’t in my job description, but the glory of knowing I am serving my country definitely is.”

Ellie