PDA

View Full Version : Christmas comes again to B.C. area

thedrifter
12-29-05, 12:56 PM
Christmas comes again to B.C. area
Trace Christenson
The Enquirer

No one was wearing Santa suits and the sleigh bells were packed away, but Christmas came again to Battle Creek on Wednesday.

With emergency lights flashing and sirens wailing, several Battle Creek area police officers helped members of the Marine Corps Reserve distribute hundreds of toys to children in Battle Creek and Pennfield and Emmett townships.

"This is wonderful. These guys are a blessing," said Brandi Wines as she stood on 24th Street about 9:30 a.m. with her two young sons. "I can't thank these guys enough."

Wines was in the cold collecting toys from the back of police cars and military Humvees and had special praise for the Marines, many of whom have returned from tours in Iraq.

"I pray for you guys every day," she shouted. "Bless you guys."

The distribution was coordinated by Staff Sgt. Jason Richards of the reserve center and several police officers.

He said the Marines collected about 180,000 toys for the annual Toys for Tots program and they decided to give away on Thursday what was left after the Christmas distribution.

"It was something we thought would be good for the police, the military and the firefighters working together," he said. "We thought it would make a good positive image."

A line of police cars, military trucks and a fire truck crawled along 23rd and 24th streets in Lakeview and stopped at Post Avenue and Illinois Street in the Post Addition, the Triangle Mobile Home Park in Emmett Township, Crown Chase Apartments in Pennfield Township and at Parkway Drive and Hubbard Street in Battle Creek.

Several officers assigned to area schools helped organize the giveaway, said Leonardo Rivera, a Battle Creek police officer assigned to Lakeview Schools.

"The Marines had extra toys, so this is really nice," Rivera said, before rolling down his window and shouting, "You got kids, we got toys.

"The people had no idea we were coming."

Other school officers helped, including Battle Creek Officer Mike Bradley, Seth Graves of the Emmett Township Department of Public Safety and Calhoun County Sheriff Deputy Louis Rivera.

Troopers David Ybarra and George Lehman of the Michigan State Police Post at Battle Creek also participated.

Several people said they wondered why police cars with lights and sirens were cruising their neighborhoods.

"I was surprised," said Thomas Moore. "With all the cop cars, I thought someone was in trouble. I heard the sirens and wondered what is going on."

But Moore, a former Marine, said he quickly realized it might be a toy distribution.

"I have known about Toys for Tots for a long time."

Pierre Jackson first thought the police were trying to evacuate the area, but then watched them hand out toys and pulled out his cell phone.

"This is pretty nice. I need to get my daughter over here," he said.

Trace Christenson covers crime and courts. He can be reached at 966-0685 or tchrist@battlecr.gannett.com.

Originally published December 29, 2005

Ellie