PDA

View Full Version : Home for the holidays

thedrifter
12-29-05, 12:49 PM
Home for the holidays
Schild family enjoys 'special Christmas'
By: Scott Campbell

The holiday season is always heart-warming, but for former Princeton residents Terry and Pam Schild, Christmas 2005 was extra special.

With their only two sons serving in the United States Marine Corps, family time is precious.

Now, just one year after Tyler (a 2003 North Scott graduate), spent Christmas on patrol in Iraq, and just 10 days before Seth (a 2005 Lancer grad) ships off to Afghanistan, the term "home for the holidays" took on new meaning for Terry and Pam.

"We all four haven't been together at Christmas since 2002," Pam said last Friday, while making final preparations for an extended family get-together. "This will be a very special Christmas for all of us."

Although they miss their sons terribly, and their emotions are never far from the surface, the Schilds couldn't be more proud of the fact that both Tyler and Seth are serving in the military.

"I have to admit, that when they first enlisted, I was shocked," said Pam. "But at the same time I agreed with their decision. I trusted that they were mature young men and that they were capable of making a decision like that."

"We couldn't be prouder," said Terry. "To see what they've accomplished at such a young age is truly something. I think the thing that sticks in my mind the strongest is what Tyler said to me after he graduated from boot camp.

"The first thing he said to me was 'Dad, it's all about integrity.' For a 19-year-old man to have that grasp of life at that age, and to follow through like they both are, just blows you away."

To have both their sons serving in the military hasn't been easy for the Schilds. At a time when they figured they'd be watching Tyler and Seth play college baseball, they instead look forward to phone calls and sporadic visits.

It's been a difficult adjustment.

"When the boys were younger we did everything together," said Terry. "Baseball was our life. I coached and the boys played, ever since they were in second grade."

The boys started by playing town ball in Princeton, and later played 75 to 80 games a year with the North Scott Renegades, North Scott Rebels and Quad City Hitmen.

At North Scott, Tyler was a first-team all-conference outfielder his senior year, and had the third highest batting average in the conference.

Seth played for the Lancers through his junior year, but then the military took precedence.

"I had a great time at North Scott," said Tyler, who still hangs out with his friends Cary Shipman and J.J. Suiter when he's home. "I have a lot of good memories."

And even though Terry and Pam recently moved across the river to Sherrard, they too, have fond memories of their years in the North Scott School District.

"We are very proud of the way our boys have grown up, and we have to give credit to North Scott and the families that they met while they were there," said Terry. "North Scott has been an important part of how these two young men grew up, and how they represent themselves.

"North Scott will always be their community, and I believe that serving their country is their way of giving back to the community."

Tyler's story

Joining the military was something that Tyler had never really considered during his early high school years. He'd had plenty of success on the baseball field, and playing in college was something that was always in the back of his mind.

However, that all changed as his senior year began to unfold.

"I was all set to go to college, and then my last semester of high school I changed my mind," said Tyler.

"I just couldn't stand getting up for class, and the only reason I was going to school was to get perfect attendance so I wouldn't have to take my finals.

"I figured that if I was in college, and had the same work ethic, I'd just be wasting my parents' money."

The decision to forego college was a big one, as he'd already been accepted at Southern Illinois University and had made a campus visit. The decision was also one that he made on his own, and one that came as a total surprise to his parents.

"He didn't even tell us until after he'd signed up," said Pam.

"He researched the whole thing and tested out all on his own," recalled Terry. "He came to the door one day and said he needed a note to get out of school. We asked him why, and he said he had to go to Chicago for a physical. We asked him why, and he said, 'I joined the Marines.'"

"We have always been supportive of his decision," said Pam. "We knew he would never do anything half-heartedly."

"He's a guy that has always liked to push himself," added Terry, "and be the best that he can be. That pretty much sums up what he's done for himself in the Marines."

Following his senior baseball season Tyler spent three months at boot camp in San Diego and then was shipped to Camp Pendleton for two months of infantry training. Then came 90 days in Virginia for security force training, followed by two and a half months at Camp LeJeune before shipping off to Iraq for seven months.

"Serving in Iraq was a great experience for me," said Tyler. "To be a part of something that special, and to feel like you're making a difference, is a good feeling. I was there for the battle of Fallujah, and that's something I'll always look back on and be glad that I was there."

Tyler was often in the thick of the battle. He was a machine gunner for a security detail, which meant he was the guy on top of a Humvee. His unit provided security for counterintelligence.

"We took a lot of small arms fire, but it was all very sporadic," said Tyler. "There were a lot of situations where you'd hear a couple of shots, look around, and have no idea where it came from. It was a little nerve-wracking at times.

"You felt like you were in a danger a lot. You'd hear a shot go off and something would blow up right by you. But, it's not a helpless feeling. You just always think back on your training and are in a constant state of alertness. You're always playing out different scenarios in your head."

Tyler said there was one time when a truck in his unit got hit, and three of his fellow Marines were injured.
"I was also in situations where I had to fire my weapon, but made the conscious decision not to," he said. "But it was the right decision because it was just a misunderstanding, and I would've ended up killing innocent people."

Tyler returned from Iraq last March and has since completed an infantry squad leader course and a sensor surveillance operator course - from which he graduated at the top of his class.

However, he's already looking forward to going back to Iraq.

"Right now, I'm not slated to go back to Iraq until January 2007," he said. "Since I've been back in the states, I'm just doing my job, but my job seems so much less important. It would be a better use of my time and training if I were overseas.

"If I'm back in the states, but can't be with my family, I'd much rather be doing my job in Iraq or Afghanistan.

In fact, I have volunteered for every deployment that has come up since I've gotten home, but so far I haven't been able to go.

"I absolutely believe that it's necessary for us to remain in Iraq until the job is done," he continued.

"Everybody is entitled to their own opinion, but I support President Bush 100 percent. I have complete faith in him and my commanding officers."

Tyler, who recently was promoted to the rank of corporal, says he is considering re-enlisting once his tour of duty is up in October 2007.

"I'm not saying I want to make the military a career," he said, "but I don't think I can accomplish everything I want to accomplish in the Marine Corps in four years.

"I am absolutely happy with my decision to join the Marines. The bonds I have with my fellow marines in unbreakable. We would do anything for each other.

That's something pretty special."

Seth's story

It's not surprising that Seth wanted to follow in his brother's footsteps. In fact, ever since Tyler enlisted in the Marines, Seth began bugging his mom to let him join as well.

"Joining the armed forces was something that was always in the back of my mind, ever since I went on a job shadow to the National Guard armory when I was in sixth or seventh grade," said Seth. "Then, when I saw Tyler go in, and heard him talk about the Marines, I knew that it was something that I wanted to do."

Seth actually enlisted in May of his junior year at North Scott, and then graduated a semester early because he was so anxious to get started.

While most of his classmates were just getting into the swing of their final semester of high school, Seth reported to boot camp on Jan. 17.

After three months in San Diego, Seth was shipped off to Hawaii for three months (which made Tyler just a little jealous), and then back to California for cold weather training, mountain training and urban warfare.
After that he was shipped back to Hawaii for a week, came home to be with his family on Dec. 10, and was scheduled to report back for duty on Dec. 27. On January 4 he'll head off to Afghanistan.

"I think heading overseas will be a good experience for me," said Seth. "I'm sure it will be an eye-opener. I'm strictly infantry, and I'll be on the front lines. My unit will be looking for weapon caches. We're trying to get all the weapons out of villages.

"I'm not scared yet, but I'm sure I'll be a little apprehensive once I get there. Truthfully, I just want to get there and start doing my job, doing what I'm trained to do. They say we're supposed to pull out in May, but I'm planning on being there five to seven months."
After a year in the Marines, and with a tour of Afghanistan looming on his immediate horizon, Seth has no second thoughts about serving his country.

"I have no regrets whatsoever about joining the Marines," he said. "I would do it again if I had to. It has crossed my mind to re-enlist, and that's a possibility, but I have a long ways to go before I have to make that decision.

"However, I will say it's very special serving in the Marines. They are always there for each other, and I've met some of my best friends in the Marine Corps.

Both Tyler and Seth were grateful to spend time as a family over the holidays, and it was Seth who truly put things in perspective.

"Serving in the military, away from home, you certainly develop a greater appreciation for things," he said, "whether it's life itself, or just being home with the whole family again. It's certainly good to be home for the holidays."

Ellie

thedrifter
12-29-05, 12:54 PM
Home for the holidays
Citizen Staff

Three Beaver Dam High School 2005 graduates recently spent time at home, a welcome break from their training as United States Marines.

Pfc. Troy Kurtz, Pfc. Nathan Behm and Pfc. Alex Grandprey all entered the Marines after graduation and they shared some of their experiences.

Grandprey said it was completely coincidental that the three as well as two other members of the BDHS class of 2005 decided to enter the Marine Corps. None of them had discussed the matter with each other before making the decision, according to Behm.

Behm and Grandprey committed as early as they could, right after their junior year in high school. As a result, they entered basic training almost immediately after graduation. Kurtz had a few months to wait.

Grandprey said being a Marine was something he had wanted to do since he was in sixth grade. Behm was inspired by movies he had watched with his dad that showed soldiers and Marines being recognized for their valor and honor.

All three said the opportunity for free education and to see much more of the world was part of the motivation to enter the Marine Corps.

Their decisions certainly led to some heartfelt discussions at home.

"My dad said, 'Whatever you want to do, I'm all for it," Kurtz said. His mother was less enthusiastic about his decision, but came around pretty quickly, he said.

Behm had a similar experience. His dad had friends who had served in the military. His mother wished he had chosen another branch of the armed forces, but Behm was able to explain his decision to her.

Grandprey's family had some experience in the process since he had two stepbrothers who are Marines.

All three of the men went through basic training at the Marine Corps Recruit Depot in San Diego, Calif.

Grandprey and Behm said they made some effort to prepare physically for the rigors of Marine Corps basic training and all three said entering the Marine Corps provided them with some additional motivation to do well in school.

Despite the preparation, however, all three said basic training was tough.

"I thought the mental aspect of boot camp was tough because it caught me by surprise," Grandprey said. "No amount of preparation can prepare you for a Marine Corps drill sergeant."

Behm said he had difficulty adjusting to the long days and constant yelling. But he quickly added that such training serves a purpose preparing Marines for combat when there is no "time off" and yelling may be the only way to communicate to the person standing next to you.

"That's what boot camp is for, to prepare you for anything," Behm said.

Kurtz and Behm said when they returned home recently for a visit their family noticed a few physical differences, including a standard issue haircut and all three said friends have been curious and supportive of them.

"My mom was surprised how I cleaned my room," Grandprey said, adding that he can no longer tolerate a messy room.

The three men will be leaving next week.

Grandprey has completed eight weeks of school of infantry combat training and is scheduled to take Light Armored Vehicle Training. After that he could be stationed overseas or at a base in North Carolina. Grandprey said he will consider a career as a Marine.

Behm went through 22 days of Marine combat training, a shorter version of the training those entering the infantry receive. He will get further training in aviation supply and expects to be stationed in Okinawa, Japan.

Kurtz will be going to his 22 days of Marine combat training when he leaves Beaver Dam.

Kurtz and Behm said they would take a wait and see attitude about further enlistments after they near completion of their current four-year commitment.

All three have been helping with some local recruitment calls and Grandprey said all branches of the service have something to offer.

"There are some great opportunities out there," Grandprey said.

Ellie