PDA

View Full Version : Kempthorne honors Boise Marine with Bronze Star award

thedrifter
12-29-05, 06:46 AM
Kempthorne honors Boise Marine with Bronze Star award
The Idaho Statesman

The end of Sgt. Luke Miller's military duty was greeted with 30,000 cheering fans.

Gov. Dirk Kempthorne awarded the Marine the Bronze Star Wednesday in a halftime ceremony at the MPC Computers Bowl at Bronco Stadium.
"Sgt. Miller is an outstanding Marine, Idahoan and American," Kempthorne said over the stadium loudspeaker as the crowd erupted in applause.

Miller, a Boise school teacher and Marine Reservist who served with Charlie Company, 4th Tank Battalion, received the Bronze Star for helping to save the lives of three seriously wounded Marines under fire. Miller was joined during the ceremony by his family and the Marines he helped save.
"It's pretty incredible," he said. "It's more important to me that my family was here and the guys that were injured were here."

In January, Miller will go back to teaching math at West Junior High School and he said the ceremony was a good cap to his military career.

Miller's father, Dick Miller, hugged his son after the ceremony, tears streaming down his face. He said his son's tour was the "longest year of my life."
"We're just glad he's back and safe and we need to put an end to this situation as soon as we can and get our service members home where they belong," he said.

The ceremony was the centerpiece in a day dedicated to the military. Before the bowl game, four A-10 Warthogs flew over Bronco Stadium during a pregame salute to the military and military members were offered free tickets to the game.
"Some people have their opinions of Iraq, right, wrong or different, but I think the American public appreciates the military," said Sgt. Steven Ward, who served in Iraq with the 116th Brigade Combat Team. "It's a good feeling."

Ellie

thedrifter
12-29-05, 12:59 PM
Boise Marine Honored For Courage Under Fire <br />
December 28, 2005 <br />
By Scott Logan <br />
<br />
BOISE - <br />
<br />
Sgt. Luke Miller of Boise is one tough Marine, but he finds all the media attention about his...