PDA

View Full Version : What can/should I bring to MOS school--29 Palms

jellyfish2183
12-29-05, 02:08 AM
I was asking about bringing my POV to MOS school in 29 Palms earlier. Now I'm wondering about the stuff that I'm allowed to bring to MOS school. My school is going to be 10 months long, so I'll be looking to bring more stuff than the other Marines who're training for other MOS's.

For those who've been to MOS school in 29 Palms, what is it like? What's the dorm room like? Will we be allowed to have TVs in the dorm room. I'm thinking of bringing my Playstation 2. What about computers. I have a laptop. Are there wireless connections in the dorm rooms?

Also, is it going to be classes ALL ten months? Will we get holiday leaves of anytime between January through October?

I tried to go to the Marine Corps 29 Palms website to look up informations on these topics, but alas to no avail did I find them. So I was hoping if any of you guys can help out... Thanks in advance!

Semper Fidelis

VaMarine
12-29-05, 05:38 AM
JellyFish whats your MOS going to be?

I was at 29 Palms for 9 months for Tech School in 98 and well we never lived in dorm rooms but I think I can give you a good idea of what you are looking at.. But would help to know what your MOS will be because I know that different companies had different rules..

Either Way Alpha company which at times is the largest Company in the Marine Corps (over 500 Marines during August till March) tends to allow POV's but you have to foot the bill and you could probably pick one up off a graduating class for 50.00 or 100.00 thats what we ended up doing and then sold it to the next class.

With things in your barracks room (not dorm room) the rooms are shared with 3 other Marines or were when I was there, and space was of a premium. We had a TV and a Playstation for the room as well as a clock radio and most of us had laptops (not desktops). Everything besides the TV was required to be put away every morning before heading to class as to ensure theft was not an issue.

Internet was not Wifi but at the time no one had Wifi. I would doubt that internet would be provided for you in the barracks at the Marine Corps cost but you might be able to arrange it through an outside contractor. As well there was building with computers that were hooked up that the group of us would go to surf the web and email home. I would assume this building is still in exisitence.

Besides this remember a couple of things. You are there to learn and the information presented is not only tough mind wise but crammed into a short time frame. You will be getting the equivalent to an Associates in Electronics in about 8 months. Adding distractions to your studies is not the best thing to be doing especially if you would like to place in the top 10 in the class. Remember the top 3 normally get there 1st choice on the dream sheets for stationing..

As well the school house tends to close for 2 weeks at Christmas time. You have the option to go home but are not required to. It also closes for a week or 2 sometime in July. If my memory serves me correctly. These are the only times you can take leave. Except while you are a MAT. (Marine Awaiting Training) But I would suggest not to take leave as a MAT because you never know when the class will pick up and you will find you do not want to be stuck in 29 Palms for longer than what you have to be.

My suggestions keep your mind on studies during the weekdays. Enjoy Friday and Saturday night and get back early on Sunday to square away your uniform and study...

jellyfish2183
12-30-05, 12:56 AM
My MOS is going to be Aviation Radar Repairer. About the TV, do they provide one for you in the barracks room, or do you have to furnish one yourself? Also, from my understanding, you are roomed with three of your classmates. Do you get any say in who you room with? I mean, it would suck if I get room with someone who parties all the time and bring girls in all the time.

I have a laptop that I'm bringing along. It would hope that the barracks rooms are equipped with wireless internet access. But if it doesn't it's no big deal (internet access can be both a convenience and a distraction to me).

How much fees are involve in having a POV in 29 Palms? I ask this because I don't have a car right now and I'm planning on getting one solely for transportation sake. Maybe I should get a motor-scooter or something like that...

Man... I can't believe I only have three days left until I head for my MOS school...

VaMarine
12-30-05, 04:35 AM
The barracks are not hotels. The Marine Corps provides you with nothing more than what you have in your seabag and a bunk thats truly all you need. So to answer the question; NO, they do not provide you with un-needed distractions such as TV or internet.
They will allow you to contract it out but you must provide everything. Suggestions if you want a TV go get a 100.00 from the PX nothing special nothing fancy small thing that you can watch DVD's on and can play the Xbox or Halo on. High speed internet may be able for purchase from the Cable company but i doubt it and you may want to look at AOHELL for connecting to be able to come to the forums.

Aviation Radar is either Charlie or Delta Company I do not remember which But I would wonder if they allow a vehicle or not and if your tech school is for 9 months at the Stumps or if you are the group that come in for 8 ot 10 weeks then head off elsewhere to get training at a different base.

I would wait on buying a car till your realize exactly where you money is going and how much you are going to be making. Transportation isnt that bad in the 29 Stumps you walk to the exchange (a block or 2) you walk to BAS (a block or 2) you walk to class (a block or 2). The base isnt like the suburbs of richmond where you have to get on the interstate to get any where you are going.

To get out in town they may have a bus service or cab service, or someone else might have a car and you befriend them(pay for the gas). In addition there isnt really anything in 29 palms worth seeing. Its the standard military town think of Norfolk just smaller and less nice. All the businesses are catered toward the Marine Corps and every Car dealer WILL SCREW YOU!!! Its about 6 blocks long by 2 block wide and nothing but bars, car dealers that will screw you and more bars... You arent missing anything not going into town.

As well watch yourself with the women folk there, the E-club is a decent place to go and hang out or it was when i was there. Just you will hear a term called west-pac widows, learn to identify them and stay away from them. If by mistake or pure stupidity you pick up a 20 something year old lady and she takes you back to base housing you need to run... Shes either the some high ranking officer or some high ranking SNCO's daughter or shes a Marines Wife that is deployed. Either of course is unacceptable to have any relations with...

Oh and No motor scooters why are you getting lazy.. You are in the best shape of your life stay that way.. WALK..

Forgot check out the bowling alley and the movie theatre for things to do. Last time I was there which again was 98 they had .50 games of bowling on monday wednesday and friday all day and night long. The movie theatre was brought back when General Stanley was there they were free and normally had 2 different movies a week. Mostly fairly new releases as well. They both are a little more of a walk but you will see its good for you..

Lorix
01-06-06, 02:50 PM
I just got out of mos school on 2 Dec 05, got promoted that day also (I'm not a reservist), 0621 field radio operator. Anyways yes, bring you PS2, and your laptop, you can use it, but you will probably have to buy your tv, I would buy it from someone that's getting out of mos school and doesn't want to pack it (trust me, look around and there are plenty of student's selling there tv's, you can pick them up pretty cheap). Bring your cell phone also if you have one. 29 Palms sucks, if they let you take your POV, take it! Yucca Valley is the closest town, and cab fare will cost you around $70. It cost between $100-$175 just to get to Palm Springs, trust me I know. Life will be boring there, on the weekends, you'll want to get out and go somewhere.

Dorm rooms aren't too bad, we had a mini fridge in ours (comes with the room), but since you'll be there for 10 months, I believe you'll have a microwave in yours also.

Phantom Blooper
01-09-06, 05:25 AM
jellyfish2183 ,you never answered my question from your post back from bootcamp. What happened to your dog? Did you get him some shades and a bandanna for the 29 stumps weather? Semper-Fi! "Never Forget" Chuck Hall

BOOGIEMAN44
01-09-06, 03:23 PM
I What's the dorm room like? Will we be allowed to have TVs in the dorm room. I'm thinking of bringing my Playstation 2. What about computers.

THEY NOW HAVE DORM ROOM'S, WHAT HAPPENED TO OPEN SQUAD BAY'S.

VaMarine
01-09-06, 04:02 PM
THEY NOW HAVE DORM ROOM'S, WHAT HAPPENED TO OPEN SQUAD BAY'S.

I didnt have a dorm room when i was there.. we had a barracks room shared by 3 other Marines... during processing you were in open squad bays.. and depending on how full the "new" Barracks were you could be in larger rooms with 12 people in it till the barracks emptied out some..