PDA

View Full Version : Beyond the call of duty

thedrifter
12-28-05, 08:24 AM
Beyond the call of duty
By Beth LaMontagne
blamontagne@seacoastonline.com

PORTSMOUTH - Last Christmas, Marine Capt. John "Brad" Adams was at home in Portsmouth, recovering from shrapnel wounds that nearly destroyed his foot and wondering if he would ever walk again.

One year and eight surgeries later, he is getting ready for redeployment to Iraq, where he will serve as a company commander.

In October 2004, Adams was with the 3rd Battalion, 1st Marine Regiment near Fallujah when an improvised explosive device went off by his Humvee, sending shrapnel through the side of his body.

His right foot was so severely injured, doctors talked about amputating.

"I told the doctors that wasn’t going to happen," said Adams.

After serving in the Marines for 16 years, Adams said he wasn’t ready to leave, and was determined to return to the infantry and take command of a company.

"My commanding officer had given me an agreement," said Adams. "He said, ‘Give me a physical fitness test, and I’ll send you back to your company.’"

Doctors worked to save Adams’ foot, using bone and skin grafts, metal plates and about 11 screws. Throughout the spring and summer, Adams spent hours in physical therapy, regaining movement and strength. He transitioned from crutches to a cane to passing the Marine Corps physical fitness test - which includes a 3-mile run - in a matter of months.

"It definitely feels good to be able to look back at where I was a year ago ... knowing I was able to get up on my feet again and continue," Adams said, chuckling at the unintended pun.

His father, John, called Adams’ recovery "remarkable," and his mother, Jodi, said it’s a miracle.

"It largely goes to his own grit and determination he succeeded," said John Adams.

Though he recovered quickly, Adams said it wasn’t easy.

"I’ve learned a lot about getting wounded and what it takes getting back from there," he said. "It takes a lot to try to focus yourself and discipline yourself."

Adams has visited with other wounded Marines and sailors this past year to tell them his story and encourage them as they recover.

"To me, recovery is like the war. It’s a marathon, not a sprint," he said. "They can do it if they put their minds to it."

In January, Adams will be deployed with the 1st Battalion, 1st Marine Regiment, to command an artillery company and possibly serve as a liaison between the United States and Iraqi militaries.

Adams said people sometimes ask why he is going back. He tells them he wants to finish the job.

"A lot of those killed and wounded are friends and associates of mine," Adams said. "I don’t want to see us pull out of Iraq. ... Otherwise, we just sent 2,000 Americans who were killed and 16,000 wounded for nothing."

Showing pictures of the friends in his unit, some are missing limbs, or in hospital beds, or now dead. He said helping his fellow Marines, particularly the younger men and women who have never been deployed, is also driving him to return.

But Adams seems mostly driven by his desire not to be beaten.

"I don’t want the enemy to think he got the better of me," said Adams. "He dinged me, but he didn’t get the better of me. They tried, but they didn’t succeed."

His family, though concerned, knows Adams wants nothing more than to return to service.

"It’d kill him if he knew the fight was going on and he wasn’t there to help his fellow Marines," said his brother, Mark.

"I think if you are successful at something, you need to pursue it," said Jodi Adams. "It’s his career. ... I think he will be all right. We have faith."

Ellie