PDA

View Full Version : Recruit training brothers reunited in Iraq

thedrifter
12-28-05, 06:52 AM
Recruit training brothers reunited in Iraq
2nd Marine Aircraft Wing
Story by Cpl. Cullen J. Tiernan

AL ASAD, Iraq (Dec. 27, 2005) -- From Aug. 10 through Oct. 27, 1995, the recruits of Platoon 1030 endured the hardships of Marine Corps Recruit Depot Parris Island and earned the title Marines. The moment their feet touch the infamous yellow footprints, the quarterdeck and the parade field, all the memories and friendships forged during those demanding days stay with the Marines for the rest of their lives.

Staff Sgt. Roy L. Calloway, 2nd Marine Aircraft Wing (Forward) plans chief, and Staff Sgt. Matthew J. Smith, 2nd MAW (Fwd) security manager, are able to share their memories of Platoon 1030 as they frequently reminisce and joke about their experiences while they are deployed together at Al Asad, Iraq.

Although there are many differences between the two, they said the hardships they shared nearly 10 years ago have created a friendship and a powerful sense of trust between them.

“It goes to show people from all different walks of life can come in the Corps and become instant friends forever,” said Calloway. “It was cool to see him. When you are somewhere new, it’s good to have someone you can trust. After all these years, it’s like we just picked up from where we left off.”

Calloway is a Radford, Va., native. He said it’s a small city in the southwestern part of the state where there is little to do for entertainment. He said that life before the Corps was without adventure.

Smith is an Orlando, Fla., native. He said he grew up in a large city where there were so many things to do he was never bored. He said some of the things were good and some were not the best choices in the world.

“Our differences tell me the Marine Corps can bring people from all walks of life together to work as a team to accomplish any mission,” said Smith.

Although Calloway and Smith both plead the fifth to telling humorous stories from recruit training, they still joke about some of their experiences.

“Smith and his rack mate were always on the quarterdeck or sand pit,” said Calloway. “I remember that even on the morning of graduation, the drill instructor wanted to get one last quarterdecking in on them.”

“The quarterdeck became second home,” joked Smith. “My neighbor was notorious for getting us in trouble.”

Calloway said recruit training was a very humbling experience, and he and Smith always try to figure out who is still in the Marine Corps and who is out here serving in Iraq. Smith said out of Platoon 1030, at least six Marines were stationed at Marine Corps Air Station Cherry Point, N.C.

In Iraq, they said they rely on each other, and the Marines around them, to stay motivated and deal with any difficulties that may arise.

“The deployment is going well, just taking it one day at a time,” said Calloway. “I am always running into Marines who I worked with at other duty stations out here. I would definitely say it’s a small Marine Corps, and we truly are a band of brothers. With me and Smith, we can talk about anything, good or bad.”

Smith said it is great to see someone you know and can trust, someone you have already completed a hard task with and you can count to help you get through a long period of time spent deployed in a combat zone.

“Just like any deployment, the time here is flying by,” said Smith. “Before I knew it, we were halfway through December and Christmas was here.”

Although the bond Smith and Calloway share is strong, Smith said he still misses his family back in the United States.

“Without my wife, Carrie, and son, Braxton, Christmas is the hardest part of the deployment,” said Smith. “I told my son that Santa was coming twice, once on Christmas and again when daddy comes home.”

In the United States, Christmas is normally spent with family. Smith and Calloway said what they have already shared has created the sense of family between them.

“Marines are family, brothers and sisters,” said Smith. “We look out for one another. We keep each other company and are there when you just need someone to talk to.”

Calloway and Smith are ready to endure the hardships of this deployment together in the deserts of Iraq, just as they did 10 years ago in the swamplands of South Carolina.