PDA

View Full Version : Al Asad Christmas brings father, son together after four years

thedrifter
12-26-05, 06:59 AM
Al Asad Christmas brings father, son together after four years
2nd Marine Aircraft Wing
Story by Cpl. James D. Hamel

AL ASAD, Iraq (Dec. 25, 2005) -- For most service members and their families, deployment to Iraq means separation. There isn’t a lot of quality time when 6,000 miles away from loved ones.

Master Sgt. Leonard Perez and Sgt. Mario Perez are different. Their deployment to Iraq has marked not the beginning of a long separation, but the end of one.

“This was the first time we’d seen each other in more than three years,” said Mario of his Dec. 21 arrival at Al Asad. “When we talked about deploying, we never thought we’d see each other in uniform over here. This is a war.”

Mario is stationed at Camp Korean Village, Iraq, with the 1st Light Armored Reconnaissance Battalion, 1st Marine Division. His father, Leonard, is with the II Marine Expeditionary Force command element in Camp Fallujah, Iraq, training Iraqi Security Forces. They were far away from each other, and because their redeployment date was drawing nearer, both doubted they would get to see each other. But, with help from their commands, they were able to meet at Al Asad, Iraq.

“My unit needed to switch out some equipment,” said Mario. “They knew my dad was going to be here, and they pushed me out so I could come by and see him.”

Leonard said his unit understood how rare an opportunity he had, and was very helpful in sending him to Al Asad.

“It was kind of strange when he got here,” said Leonard. “We tried to talk, but he was so mission oriented. He wanted to get his job done before relaxing.”

When Leonard received word he was deploying to Iraq, he was retired. He first enlisted as an infantryman but finished his career in law enforcement. After retiring at Fort Worth, Texas, he heard the military was looking to recall retirees with backgrounds in military police work.

“I volunteered to do it, because I had never deployed to Iraq,” he said. “Because of my background, I was a perfect fit to work with the (Iraqi Security Forces.) I got a phone call around April saying I was approved for active duty, and I deployed during May.”

Meanwhile, the younger Perez still hadn’t deployed to Iraq. He missed 1st LAR’s previous deployment because his wife was sick with cancer. Though he wanted to do his duty regardless of circumstance, the unit wouldn’t allow him to leave the United States. His dad often joked with him about getting to Iraq before his son.

“We’re always joking back and forth about it,” said Mario. “We joke about who’s going to see combat first and stuff like that.”

The idea of his son seeing combat is a weird concept for Leonard, who said his son promised him in high school that he’d never become a Marine. Leonard has found his wife trying to make him a chaperone of their son at the tip of the spear.

“The family is constantly asking me about how he’s doing,” said Leonard. “It’s kind of difficult to explain that he’s on a mission, because his mother is constantly worrying. He’s a Marine and he wants to be involved, he wants to do his part. Instead of being home (and) worried, I’m out here (and) worried.”

After spending a few days together, both Marines were boarding flights back to their units. Each is scheduled to return to the United States early next year, but they’ll always remember their few days before Christmas, spent together in Iraq.

“This is the first and only chance that we have served together as father and son,” said Leonard. “It’s like an early Christmas gift.”

Ellie