PDA

View Full Version : 'The reason for the season'

thedrifter
12-26-05, 06:43 AM
'The reason for the season'
December 26,2005
BY JOE MILLER
DAILY NEWS STAFF

It's likely Bing Crosby never dreamed of a wet Christmas.

But that's what Onslow County got Sunday as people woke up to rain and brief thunderstorms.

The weather didn't appear to dampen many spirits. Some people spent Christmas in church and with families; Marines and sailors far from home spent the day with each other at the USO. And for a few, it was another work day spent earning money to pay off bills for all the gifts purchased for family and friends.

Although some churches canceled services, many members of Shekinah Glory Full Gospel Ministry on New Bridge Street couldn't stay away on the most important Christian day of the year.

Anna Fulcher, pastor of Shekinah Glory, said she never considered canceling services for fear that few would attend. About 25 worshippers came out Sunday in addition to church leaders and the choir.

"Whether the attendance is high or low, Jesus is the reason for the season," she said.

Choir member Clemetra Dillahunt said Sunday's service carried greater significance for her than most.

"When most people think of Christmas, it's just receiving and giving gifts, but it's actually a celebration of (Jesus Christ's) birth," she said.

Camp Lejeune Marine Daniel Harrell plays drums in the church's band. He spent seven months earlier this year in Iraq and was happy to be home to spend Christmas with his wife and 3-month-old daughter.

"This is a very special Christmas for myself and my family," Harrell said.

Gerri Bergsten's family is far away, so she decided to spend Christmas at the USO serving the men and women who serve America.

Bergsten understands the sacrifices the troops make because her son was in the Navy.

"We just wanted to volunteer and do some service for the people that are fighting for our country that's protecting us," she said.

Although the crowd was small at 11:30 a.m., organizers hoped to see around 800 servicemen and women pass through the doors. The troops were treated to a turkey and ham feast along with gift cards.

The outpouring of love from more than 100 volunteers was appreciated by the troops.

"Everybody's really nice," said Lance Cpl. James Tolson, 21, of Washington, D.C. "You don't get used to that a lot, especially in a big city."

Cpl. Grace Kelly, 21, calls Tacoma, Wash., home and had a message for all those serving around the world, including Iraq and Afghanistan.

"I know it sucks. They just got to shove through it and get back home safe," she said.

Not every stays home for the holidays. In some jobs, responsibility takes no holiday.

Weather forecasters and convenience store managers join police and fire personnel in working when others are home with family.

Workers like Annette Jackson take it in stride.

"It doesn't bother me because my boyfriend's in New Hampshire, and my family's four-and-a-half hours away," said Jackson, an assistant manager at the Handy Mart on Old Bridge Street.

Gil Wagi, forecaster with the National Weather Service in Newport, said working Christmas is just part of his important job.

"I just have to take that like working any other holiday or on the weekends," he said.

Jackson had to work five hours Sunday and come back to close the store. She knew how she was going to spend her free time on Christmas.

"(I'm) going home and sleeping, because I have to be back here at 6 in the morning," she said.

Ellie