PDA

View Full Version : Quotes

lakers
11-14-02, 04:00 AM
There is something magnificent in having a country to love.
James Russell Lowell

Our citizenship in the United States is our national character. Our citizenship in any particular state is only our local distinction. By the latter we are known at home, by the former to the world. Our great title is AMERICANS…
Thomas Paine

I shall know but one country. The ends I aim at shall be my country’s, my God’s and Truth’s. I was born an American; I live an American; I shall die an American.
Daniel Webster

Sometimes people call me an idealist. Well, that is the way I know I am an American. America is the only idealistic nation in the world.
Woodrow Wilson

Patriotism is easy to understand in America;
it means looking out for yourself by looking out for your country.
Calvin Coolidge

We go forth all to seek America. And in the seeking we create her. In the quality of our search shall be the nature of the American that we created.
Waldo Frank

We are the standard-bearers in the only really authentic revolution, the democratic revolution against tyrannies. Our strength is not to be measured by our military capacity alone, by our industry, or by our technology. We will be remembered, not for the power of our weapons, but for the power of our compassion, our dedication to human welfare.
Hubert Humphrey

The name of American, which belongs to you in your national capacity, must always exalt the just pride of patriotism more than any appellation derived from local discriminations. With slight shades of difference, you have the same religion, manners, habits and political principles. You have in common cause fought and triumphed together. The independence and liberty you possess are the work of joint councils and joint efforts, of common dangers, sufferings, and successes.
George Washington

Let every nation know,
whether it wishes us well or ill,
that we shall pay any price,
bear any burden, meet any hardship,
support any friend, oppose any foe,
to assure the survival and success of liberty.
John F. Kennedy

One country, one constitution, one destiny.
Daniel Webster

The history of every country begins in the heart of a man or woman.
Willa Cather

America was established not to create wealth but to realize a vision, to realize an ideal – to discover and maintain liberty among men.
Woodrow Wilson

I anticipate the day when to command respect in the remotest regions it will be sufficient to say I am an American. Our flag shall then wave in glory over the ocean and our commerce feel no restraint but what our own government may impose. Happy thrice happy day. Thank God, to reach this envied state we need only to will. Yes my countrymen. Our destiny depends on our will. But if we would stand high on the record of time that will must be inflexible.
Gouverneur Morris

O! Ye that love mankind! Ye that dare oppose not only the tyranny but the tyrant, stand forth! Every spot of the Old World is overrun with oppression. Freedom hath been hunted round the globe. Asia and Africa have long expelled her. Europe regards her like a stranger and England hath given her warning to depart. O! receive the fugitive and prepare in time an asylum for mankind.
The cause of America is, in a great measure, the cause of all mankind.
He that would make his own liberty secure must guard even his enemy from oppression.
Thomas Paine

Driven from every other corner of the earth, freedom of thought and the right of private judgment in matters of conscience direct their course to this happy country as their last asylum.
Samuel Adams

What constitutes an American? Not color nor race nor religion. Not the pedigree of his family nor the place of his birth. Not the coincidence of his citizenship. An American is one who loves justice and believes in the dignity of man. An American is one who will fight for his freedom and that of his neighbor. An American is one who will sacrifice property, ease, and security in order that he and his children may retain the rights of all free men.
Harold Ickes
"I Am an American" speech

The whole history of our continent is a history of the imagination. Men imagined land beyond the sea and found it. Men imagined the forests, the great plains, the rivers, the mountains – and found these plains and mountains. They came, as the great explorers crossed the Atlantic, because of the imagination of their minds – because they imagined a better, a more beautiful, a freer, happier world.
Archibald Macleish

America is a passionate idea or it is nothing. America is a human brotherhood or it is a chaos.
Max Lerner

America lives in the heart of every man everywhere who wishes to find a region where he will be free to work out his destiny as he chooses.
Woodrow Wilson

God had a divine purpose in placing this land between two great oceans to be found by those who had a special love of freedom and courage.
Ronald Reagan

France was a land, England was a people, but America, having about it still that quality of the idea, was harder to utter - it was the graves at Shiloh, and the tired, drawn, nervous faces of its great men, and the country boys dying in the Argonne for a phrase that was empty before their bodies withered. It was a willingness of the heart.
F. Scott Fitzgerald

The happy ending is our national belief.
Mary Mccarthy

One flag, one land, one heart, one hand,
One Nation, evermore!
Oliver Wendell Holmes

The American, by nature, is optimistic. He is experimental, an inventor and a builder who builds best when called upon to build greatly.
John F. Kennedy

We are a nation of many nationalities, many races, many religions – bound together by a single unity, the unity of freedom and equality.
Franklin D. Roosevelt

America - The place where miracles not only happen, but where they happen all the time.
Thomas Wolfe

The American journey has not ended. America is always still to build ... West is a country in the mind, and so eternal.
Archibald MacLeish

Our flag is our national ensign, pure and simple, behold it!
Listen to it!
Every star has a tongue, every stripe is articulate.
Robert Winthrop

You cannot qualify war in harsher terns that I will. War is cruelty, and you cannot refine it.
I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot not heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for more blood, more vengence, more desolation. War is hell.
General William Tecumseh Sherman

There is no “Republican,” no “Democrat,” on the Fourth of July, - all are Americans. All feel that their country is greater than party.
James Gillespie Blaine

Among the natural rights of colonists are these: (1) a right to life (2) to liberty (3) to property; together with the right to support and defend them as best they can.
Samuel Adams

We are not so much a nation as a world.
Herman Melville

There is no security on earth; there is only opportunity.
Douglas MacArthur

The greater part of our happiness or misery depends on our disposition, and not our circumstances.
Martha Washington

The U. S. Constitution doesn't guarantee happiness, only the pursuit of it. You have to catch up with it yourself.
Benjamin Franklin

Four score and seven years ago our fathers brought forth on this continent a new nation, conceived in liberty, and dedicated to the proposition that all men are created equal.
-Abraham Lincoln
The Gettysburg Address, 1863

With all its faults, the American political system is the freest and most democratic in the world.
Eldridge Cleaver

Man's capacity for evil makes democracy necessary and man's capacity for good makes democracy possible.
Reinhold Niebuhr

Generosity is the flower of justice
Nathaniel Hawthorne

The American is wonderfully alive; and his vitality, not having often found a suit-able outlet, makes him appear agitated on the surface; he is always letting off an unnecessarily loud blast of incidental steam. Yet his vitality is not superficial; it is inwardly prompted, and as sensitive and quick as a magnetic needle. He is inquisitive, and ready with an answer to any question that he may put to himself of his own accord; but if you try to pour instruction into him, on matters that do not touch his own spontaneous life, he shows the most extraordinary powers of resistance and oblivescence; so that he often is remarkably expert in some directions and surprisingly obtuse in others. He seems to bear lightly the sorrowful burden of human knowledge. In a word, he is young.
George Santayana

"In the beginning, all the world was America."
-John Locke, 17th Century

A peaceful world is a world in which differences are tolerated, and are not eliminated by violence.
John Foster Dulles

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness.
Mark Twain

Sure I wave the American flag. Do you know a better flag to wave?
Sure I love my country with all her faults.
I'm not ashamed of that, never have been, never will be.
John Wayne

The real and lasting victories are those of peace, and not of war.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.
Eleanor Roosevelt

Our country is the world-our countrymen are mankind.
William Lloyd Garrison

Yesterday, the greatest question was decided which ever was debated in America; and a greater perhaps never was, nor will be, decided among men. A resolution was passed without one dissenting colony, that those United Colonies are, and of right ought to be, free and independent States.
John Adams

In a government bottomed on the will of all, the liberty of every individual citizen becomes interesting to all.
Thomas Jefferson