PDA

View Full Version : The best Christmas gift: Marines ham it up with family

thedrifter
12-26-05, 06:09 AM
The best Christmas gift: Marines ham it up with family
By DENA PAULING and MARCIA KOZUBEK
Press & Sun-Bulletin

NORWICH — Getting the Gonzalez family together for the holidays once seemed impossible.

With Maria stationed in North Carolina, Jesse serving as a reservist in Florida, and Aaron residing in California after serving in Iraq, the three U.S. Marine siblings knew coordinating schedules would be a challenge.

But then it happened. After taking leave, buying two airplane tickets, burning dozens of gallons of gas and keeping everyone updated by telephone, the Gonzalezes were united Friday in time for Christmas.

"The fortunate ones are people like us," said Roque, the Marines' father who served in the Marines during the Vietnam War. "A lot of families won't ever be able to get together for the holidays."

Through Dec. 12, a total of 2,138 U.S. service members had died in Iraq, where Aaron, 21, and Jesse, 22, said they were lucky to have returned after completing tours and spending previous holidays away from family.

"All of us over there — all the friends I made in the Marine Corps — were feeling the same thing," said Aaron, who is a radio operation and field wireman. "It was kind of sad, but I knew I was going to see them eventually, so it was good."

Jesse said he remembers when his buddies gave him a "stale muffin from the chow hall," an on-base eatery for troops, with lit matches poking out the top of it as a present.

"It was an improvised birthday cake," he said.

Jesse's buddies won't have to improvise for him today, though. The Gonzalezes plan to eat a ham dinner, which has been an annual tradition, and exchange presents even though their mother told them not to.

"I told them, 'don't buy me a thing,'" Niki said. "You are all the gift I want."

Jesse said he had to bring gifts with him, though he believes the best one can't be wrapped.

"Just to be together for the holidays is probably the best Christmas present you can ask for," he said.

Aaron also brought gifts to keep peace with Maria.

"My sister would get mad if I didn't buy her presents," Aaron joked.

Though they haven't seen each other for months, the Gonzalezes didn't hesitate to start picking on one another once they were together. As soon as Jesse met up with Aaron at Hancock International Airport in Syracuse Friday, he gave him a big hug, "then I punched him in the arm," Jesse said.

The first thing they said when they saw their father was "let's go eat," said Roque, who took them to the International House of Pancakes for breakfast and "a few laughs."

"It's always a fun time when we are all together," Jesse said.

For the most part, the Gonzalez's plan to take it easy until Jesse leaves Dec. 27, Maria goes Jan. 2 and Aaron returns to California on Jan. 9. They have a few old friends to see, but are looking forward to "exchanging a few stories and catching up," Jesse said.

"I'm just happy to be with my family, especially my dad," said 20-year-old Maria, who drives Humvees and large transport vehicles.

Roque, who manned a 5-inch gun in the 1970s, was a big influence in his children's decisions to join the Marine Corps.

"He's making it pretty good and he has a lot of wisdom," said Jesse, who plans to be a police officer and, like his sister, also operates large motor transport vehicles. "I only have a year and half left. I should be good to go."

Niki believes the Marine training has made Aaron, Jesse and Maria more independent and responsible, she said. When they are finally able to come home, they help around the house and make their beds, something they didn't do before as students at Otselic Valley High School, she said.

Although Niki, a former school teacher, is the only one in the family who hasn't served in the Marines, she's fought her own battles on the home front.

Niki was always physically active until an accident in 1994. She was sitting on a motorcycle when a huge tree limb fell on her head. The trauma left her in a coma and when she awoke, she could no longer walk. She has used a wheelchair for 11 years.

"I won't let this get in my way," said Niki, who says she has trouble remembering the last time the entire family was together.

But when she saw Jesse, who was the first to arrive, she said he hadn't changed much since she last saw him. "He's still the same old guy."

"It's good," Roque said, "to have my family back."

Ellie