PDA

View Full Version : 'Little' Gator shows big Marine spirit

thedrifter
12-26-05, 05:58 AM
'Little' Gator shows big Marine spirit
By ANDREW LOGUE
REGISTER STAFF WRITER
December 26, 2005

The so-called experts decided Cam Brewer was too small for major-college football. The U.S. Marines took a different view.

"I think what it comes down to is they understand the caliber of person you are," said Brewer, Florida's 25-year-old walk-on receiver. "In the Marine Corps, it doesn't matter how big you are. It's what kind of character you have."

Brewer, who stands 5 feet 7 inches and weighs 165 pounds, showed enough character that he was assigned to protect some of the most powerful people in the world.

He provided security for President George W. Bush and former Secretary of State Colin Powell in Rome. In Jordan, Brewer helped guard former President Bill Clinton.

It was pretty heady stuff for a young man who grew up in Gainesville, Fla.

"They're very personable people," Brewer said of meeting Bush and Clinton. "They wanted to know what you did, and where you were from."

Brewer enlisted in August of 1998, and was assigned embassy detail three days after the 9-11 terrorist attacks.

"You grow up in a heartbeat," Brewer said. "They basically called us the tip of the spear. When you're at the embassy, you're it. There's nobody else."

After six years of service, Brewer was ready to tackle the naysayers who doubted his abilities as an athlete.

"I got into the Marine Corps and loved it," Brewer said. "Then, I came to a point where I wanted to play football and it was now or never."

Brewer was on the field for a half-dozen snaps during a 35-9 win over Mississippi State. His goal next season is to become a starter on special teams.

"One thing we talked about in the Marine Corps was mission accomplishment," he said. "It's the same thing in football. When you're on the field your job is crucial."

Brewer's leadership skills have carried over. During two-a-day practices this summer, some of Brewer's teammates were complaining about the humid conditions.

Brewer responded with a story about working in India, while enduring temperatures around 120 degrees.

"After I told them that," Brewer said, "we all just pushed on through."

Ellie