PDA

View Full Version : A holiday message from the publisher

thedrifter
12-25-05, 09:11 AM
A holiday message from the publisher
December 25, 2005
San Diego Union-Tribune

Christmas evokes images of sleigh bells, snow-draped pine trees and paper cutouts taped to frosted windows. Such images linger in our minds despite the reality of palm trees, blue skies and sandy beaches.

For many San Diegans, the contrast of images is a benign aspect of life in a magical climate. For hurricane victims still living in tents along the Gulf Coast or Marines dodging car bombs in Iraq, the contrast has to be even more stark.

Amid the many rituals of this holiday season, whatever our heritage or our feelings about religion, we all can be as one in our desire to lessen the suffering of others.

We don't have to travel to the tsunami-wracked shores of the Indian Ocean or even to the Gulf Coast. Through our churches, charities and other social institutions, we can extend our reach by writing checks, lending a hand or donating something to fill an endless list of needs.

Here at home we can do our part to support the families of our men and women serving in Iraq. For us, this war is a very local story.

And, even with perpetual sunshine, there are those in our community who know the chill of deprivation.

Perhaps most important of all, we can commit ourselves to making a difference in the civic life of our communities. Ultimately, we get the quality of national and community leadership we demand. Our churches, our charities and our government institutions are only as strong as the people who support and improve them.

Let me close on a personal note. I composed this message on the anniversary of the announcement 100 years ago that my grandfather Ira Copley had purchased his first newspaper. For over 30 years now, I have been involved in the business my grandfather founded in December 1905.

Ours is a business built on chronicling human achievement, travail, greed and generosity. In the pressure of the moment, travail and greed often seem to be winning. Christmas is a time to focus on achievement and generosity.

By almost any measure,the world we live in this morning is a better place than the one my grandfather experienced. May your generosity make it possible for your grandchildren to say the same thing a century from now.