PDA

View Full Version : Military families wait anxiously

thedrifter
12-24-05, 08:39 AM
Military families wait anxiously
By Rachel Gensler, rgensler@mariettatimes.com
The Marietta Times

Pamela Davis hasn’t spent a holiday with her son in three years. Not Christmas. Not birthdays. Not since he joined the United States Marine Corps.

Beau Davis, 21, joined the Marines as soon as he turned 18. He even graduated a semester early from Marietta High School where he took part in the vocational school program. As Christmas 2005 arrives, his mother’s Gilman Avenue home remains just as it does any day of the year.

“I used to decorate for Christmas, you know, when he was still here,” said Pamela Davis.

The holidays are often the most difficult times of the year for people with family members overseas in the military, and Davis is finding that to be true. The number of people from Washington County who are deployed is unavailable, but the Washington County chapter of the American Red Cross serves about 70 families per year with emergency communications for those overseas.

The Red Cross serves families of deployed soldiers as well as families of soldiers serving in the states, said Joe Seyler, assistance director of the local Red Cross office.

Beau Davis has been in Iraq since Sept. 18 and is currently near Fallujah.

Pamela Davis’ parents live in Florida, and although she has a 26-year-old daughter, Tiffany, in Newark, they see each other only about once a year. Davis has been a single parent for nine years, and says that greatly impacted her relationship with her son, bringing them closer together.

“I don’t have one single decoration up this year,” Davis said. “It’s kind of a sad time of year, but he always said to keep your chin up, so I do.”

Working as a cook at Glenwood Retirement Community, Davis keeps her cell phone with her and on at all times, in case her son has a chance to call.

“He calls when he gets the chance,” Davis said. “Sometimes he can talk for a long time; sometimes he can’t.”

Each call means Beau Davis is safe, which is the main concern for his mother. In between calls, residents and co-workers at Glenwood help to be an outlet of support. Most people there treat him and miss him as their own, Davis said.

Beau’s girlfriend, Maggie Schott, a 19-year-old Marietta resident, is another source of support for Davis. The two often spend time together and share information when either hear from their Marine.

“It’s kind of hard; there’s a lot I’d like to share with him for Christmas,” Schott said.

Schott and Davis have been friends since April and have been dating since early September. To get through the season, Schott, is working two jobs and trying to spend time with friends and family.

“Me and Pam hang out a lot. It’s best to be with people,” Schott said. “They say deployment goes a lot faster once Christmas and the holidays are over.”

The two are already planning their trip together to see Beau off the bus upon his return to the states. He is expected to return in the next few months, but neither want to get their — or his — hopes up.

“It’s really hard, but I have to smile for him because it helps him to be optimistic,” Schott said. “Some days are harder than others, though.”

Schott, who is studying culinary arts at Hocking College, is planning to participate in an internship near Jacksonville, N.C., close to where Beau is stationed when he is not deployed.

Another family dealing with the absence of someone overseas during the holidays is that of Jeffrey and Chris Hansis, both of whom are deployed to Iraq. Jeffrey, 23, is in the Army National Guard, and Chris, 21, is in the US Army.

Though the two are away from their parents, Jack and Debra Hansis of Marietta, and their sister, Bethany – who is an Air Force Reservist — the two were able to meet up the Friday after Thanksgiving and spend a day and a half together, said the parents.

The two knew where the other was stationed, both being close to the Baghdad vicinity, and Chris Hansis was able to catch a ride with a helicopter traveling to Jeffrey’s base.

With the three siblings living military lives, the family has grown accustomed to making adjustments for celebrating holidays. Not having had a Thanksgiving dinner together in five years, the Hansis family decided to celebrate Thanksgiving 2004 in October so they could all be together.

Bethany Hansis, who for the past several years has had to open her Christmas presents from family members while over the telephone, is home this year.

The brothers call home whenever possible, and computer communication is also an option for both.

“We do a lot of typing,” said Jack Hansis. Jack and Debra Hansis sent Chris a Web camera for Christmas, and because Jack has access to one, the two are able to see each other while chatting via the Internet.

“I aimed the camera out the window so he could see the backyard ... and the traffic,” said Jack Hansis. “When it snows, I told him I would do that again so he could see the snow.”

This is the first time Chris Hansis has been away for Christmas; in the past he has been able to secure leave because he could drive the distance home from the D.C. area. Jeffrey Hansis could be home before the end of the year.

“Once they’re on U.S. soil, that’s home,” said Debra Hansis. She said that they, having experience with the military, will believe that he is back once he calls and says he is here.

There is no support group in Marietta for people with family members in the military, but the Hansis family has found many people in the community to be supportive.

“Yes, they signed up, and yes, we are proud. Yes, they are doing their duty,” said Debra Hansis. “But that don’t mean we don’t miss them.”

Tell us about

your relative

in the military

If you have a family member serving overseas in the military, please let The Times know. We will be compiling a list for display on our Web site, www.mariettatimes.com.

To submit names, please e-mail news@mariettatimes.com and type “Military Personnel” in the subject head. Please include name, military branch, family members and where he or she is serving.

How to get help

Each branch of the military provides at least several outlets for distressed family members to use if needed.

For a complete list: deploymentlink.osd.mil/

deploy/family/family

_support.shtml.

Ellie