PDA

View Full Version : Merry farewell

thedrifter
12-24-05, 08:32 AM
Merry farewell
Headed to Iraq: Joliet Christmas party brings together Marines and their families
By Catherine Ann Velasco
STAFF WRITER

JOLIET — Twelve-year-old Allan Halverson was the first one to hop onto Santa's lap Friday to tell him what he wanted for Christmas during Operation Desert Sleigh, a farewell/Christmas party for local Marines.

Allan, a sixth-grader at Drauden Point Middle School who likes hip hop music, told Santa he wanted a new stereo for Christmas. But after showing his mom his new remote control Hummer he received from an elf, he had more serious wishes on his mind.

His stepdad, Staff Sgt. Daniel Carter, 32, a U.S. Marine, will be leaving in early January for training in California before going to Iraq. He is expected to return in November 2006.

Allan said he's worried about all the helicopter accidents in the Middle East that he sees on the TV news.

"I hope he doesn't get in one of those accidents, and I hope he comes home safely," Allan said.

"He will," his mom, Kiki Carter, said before Allan went back to get a toy for his brother, Alex, 9, a fourth-grader at Charles Reed Elementary School, who was home sick.

Kiki appreciated the party, which brought the whole battalion together before the Marines left for duty.

"We get to know the wives and their families so we can support each other," she said. "You see the other families, and it gives us strength to be strong until they come back."

Kiki and Daniel moved to Plainfield about 18 months ago when Daniel, an active Marine, was transferred from Hawaii to Joliet to help the battalion, stationed at 2711 McDonough St., train for Iraq.

As a seasoned Marine, he will be going to Iraq with the battalion, which consists of about 150 Marines and sailors from Illinois, Indiana and Wisconsin.

In Iraq, they will serve as prison guards, work side by side with Iraqi soldiers, and help transport personnel and equipment, said 1st Sgt. Bob Campbell, family readiness officer.

Kiki said Daniel has been on active duty in the past, but this time it's different because they don't live on a military base. She doesn't have that immediate support from other wives in the same situation.

"A neighbor came up to me and asked me, 'Are you going to be OK?' ... I have to be strong. When I got married to my husband, it was one of the commitments," said Kiki, who has been married to Daniel for six years.

Big supporter

James Gomez, organizer of Operation Desert Sleigh, put the party together at VFW Cantigny Post 367 in Joliet to show battalion members that the community supports them.
"It is imperative that they leave knowing that we, as a community, are here for them and their families," he said.

Gomez, 41, of Rockdale, a former U.S. Marine for 18 years and a former recruiter, put together the party with the help of VFW Cantigny Post 367, the Marine Corps League and the Leathernecks Motorcycle Club.

"I can't go with these guys. I wanted to let them know the community supports them," he said, adding that he relied on numerous sponsors to pay for the party.

Girls in their Christmas dresses held onto roses that were given to their moms while boys played with their new cars.

Nicholas Pastrana, 9, a fourth-grader at Richland School, smashed the box to his remote-controlled Hummer so he could use it as a ramp.

Nicholas and his friend, Ricky Ontiveros, 9, of Tinley Park, had fun making the Hummer ride up the ramp and onto the table.

Nicholas' dad, Sgt. Miguel Pastrana, watched as he balanced his son Alexander, almost 2, on his lap with one hand while eating with another.

Miguel, 29, of Crest Hill, was in Iraq with another squadron for seven months, returning in February, and now will leave again next month.

"He was gone for Christmas last year. He called on Christmas Day, and that was the best," said Miguel's wife, Kathleen Pastrana.

While he will be home for Christmas this year, he will miss a very important event — the birth of their third child, a girl, due May 13.

"It will be the first time he has missed the birth," she said, adding she understands why he has to go back. "He feels he needs to finish what he started."

12/24/05

Ellie