PDA

View Full Version : Marines pick up homemade gifts

thedrifter
12-24-05, 08:28 AM
Marines pick up homemade gifts
By JOAN HELLYER
The Intelligencer

“Look at that! It's here!” shouted Ryan Farrell as he watched the U.S. Marine Corps helicopter touch down behind Council Rock High School-South Wednesday afternoon.

“It's a cool airplane! I love it!” exclaimed Ryan, 17, a CR South life skills student. “This is going to be great!”

With that, Ryan and dozens of other students made their way from the school to the CH53E Super Stallion that would transport the 50 rocking motorcycles the students made for the U.S. Marine Corps Reserves Toys for Tots campaign.

It's the third year in a row the Marines have flown in from Willow Grove to pick up the wooden toys made by students in Thomas Chieffo's industrial technology classes. The kids made rocking horses in 2003 and doggie scooters in 2004.

“This is my favorite so far,” U.S. Marine Lt. Col. Steve Kelly said as he surveyed the rocking cycles adorned with curled ribbons.

The kids started working on the manila-colored toys in September. They cut, hammered and sanded the wood to fit the design Chieffo created. CR South senior Howard Schechtman designed a laser engraved logo that's emblazoned on each cycle.

“It was a hard project and they took ownership of it,” Chieffo said of his students.

Area businesses, including ColorChef Painting, Home Depot in Bensalem and Brian's Harley Davidson in Middletown, as well as the CR South student executive board, donated $2,000 in money and materials toward the project.

Students said they hope the 2- and 3-year-olds who receive the rocking cycles enjoy them.

“A lot of hard work went into them,” CR South sophomore Michael Hunt, 16, said. “It's not just a material thing. It's from our hearts.”

Before taking off for a Toys for Tots distribution center, the Marines encouraged Chieffo to design a toy helicopter or toy airplane for students to make in 2006. He promised to honor the request.

CR South sophomore Zach Colley said he'd like to work on similar projects in the future.

“It makes me feel good,” said Zach, 15, “and it makes (the recipients) feel good to know that random people care about them.”

Joan Hellyer can be reached at 215-322-9714 or jhellyer@phillyBurbs.com.

December 23, 2005 8:12 AM

Ellie