PDA

View Full Version : LCpl w/ NAM to SOI?

Indy_Owns
12-23-05, 12:19 PM
Good afternoon devildogs,

I recently graduated book camp on dec.2 and I was wondering since I am on recruiter's assistance right now, I have the oppurtunity to pick up LCpl and the NAM if I get 3 refferals. I now already have 1 referral and I am set to be promoted on the 2nd of January. I do have 2 more lined up too.

How badly would I get my A@@ kicked if I were to show up to SOI as a LCpl with the NAM?

miguelito
12-23-05, 01:09 PM
If you are picking up Lance Corporal on the 2nd why don't you put those referrals towards a Meritorious promotion of Corporal instead of towards a rank that you pick up on mere time in grade?

jryanjack
12-23-05, 05:33 PM
Am I mising something here? You can now get medals and promotion "points" for enlistment referrals? How does that work?

I had 3 referrals prior to going to boot camp and all I got was a t-shirt.

MitchyMitch
12-23-05, 08:00 PM
You're still a boot!! LOL

USMCgrunt0331
12-23-05, 10:27 PM
Sorry but somebody lied to you man lol. You ain't gettin no NAM for 3 referrals.

Indy_Owns
12-23-05, 11:06 PM
I'm afraid that it is true man, you can't recieve it while you are in the DEP you have to be on permisseve TAD. I am 100% certain that our MSgt briefed all of the RA's about receiving the NAM.

hrscowboy
12-24-05, 02:18 AM
Man it just aint like the Old Corps anymore..........

mrbsox
12-24-05, 02:53 PM
OK .... I'll ask the dumb question dejure' !!

WTF is a 'NAM' ???

hrscowboy
12-24-05, 03:11 PM
navy achievment medal i think who the hell knows

semperfiman
12-24-05, 11:04 PM
when i was in i sure knew what the hell NAM meant

semperfiman
12-24-05, 11:06 PM
and just out of boot camp and talking making cpl?

rb1651
12-24-05, 11:56 PM
Somethin's wrong with this picture. No disrespect meant, I can surely appreciate a Letter of Appreciation for enticing others to join our Corps, but to get promoted because someone signed up?? Do you just have to get them to sign, or do they have to EARN their EGA? Man, do times change.

Ron

CplClark
12-26-05, 12:36 AM
if you get a nam for recruiting three people and or pickup corporal for it, i'll take MY corporal chevrons off and burn them.. .. he!! no..

redneck13
12-26-05, 10:57 AM
"dat burn!!"

outlaw3179
12-26-05, 12:16 PM
LOL....ummm yeah i gues you would get your ass kicked.

BOOGIEMAN44
12-26-05, 12:33 PM
S##t, I Went Through He!! To Get My Corporal Strips, And Now They Are Giving Them Away??? Someone Please Explain This One??

Phantom Blooper
12-26-05, 01:59 PM
Recruit Awarded Navy Achievement Medal
Story Number: NNS021111-03
Release Date: 11/13/2002

By Chief Journalist Rhonda Burke, Naval Training Center Great Lakes Public Affairs

GREAT LAKES, Ill. (NNS) -- Seaman Shena L. Hollingsworth received an honor following her boot camp graduation that few Sailors have earned so early in their careers. She was awarded the Navy and Marine Corps Achievement Medal.

Hollingsworth earned the medal for referring five people into the Navy while serving in the Navy College Assistance Student Headstart (CASH) Program.

To qualify as referrals, the five individuals each had to sign a contract to enter the Navy.

"I'm really excited about being in the Navy," Hollingsworth said. "I think this is a great place to start a career."

The CASH program provides for qualified Navy recruits to go to college for up to 12 months prior to boot camp. The program is available for individuals entering highly-skilled ratings, such as the enlisted nuclear field program, cryptologic technician and some advanced electronics ratings.

While in CASH, Hollingsworth attended Lower Columbia College in Longview, Wash., where she completed 50 hours towards her bachelor's degree.

"I told people about the opportunities the Navy had given me," Hollingsworth said. "Some of them thought it was a good opportunity for them, too."

While in the CASH program, individuals are in an active-duty status, even through they have yet to attend boot camp. Under the program, they have no obligation to work at the recruiting station but are required to check in once a month.

During their time in CASH, Navy members draw pay and allowances for their rank. Hollingsworth enlisted as an E-2 and was promoted to E-3 prior to attending boot camp.

"She went way above and beyond while in this program," said Electronics Technician 1st Class (SW) Joseph Tagliarion, her recruiter at Naval Recruiting Station, Longview, Wash. "She was one of the most motivated individuals I have met. She is dedicated to this program and believes in the Navy."

In addition to talking to individuals at her college while in the CASH program, Hollingsworth met her recruiter three times a week for physical conditioning prior to shipping to boot camp.

A native of Castle Rock, Wash., Hollingsworth will attend cryptologic technician (interpretive) "A" school in Monterey, Calif., and plans to earn her bachelor's degree in language.

"I have a lot more pride in myself, and I'm a lot stronger than I thought I was," Hollingsworth said, following her boot camp graduation. "I know the Navy was the right choice for me."

While in boot camp, Hollingsworth served as medical yeoman for her division.

"She has been an outstanding recruit, who really started out ahead of the game based on her experiences in the CASH program," said Senior Chief Cryptologic Technician Kim Browning, her recruit division commander.

The 19-year-old is a 2001 graduate of Castle Rock High School in Castle Rock, Wash. She is the daughter of Dana Pierson of Castle Rock, Wash., and James Hollingsworth of Olympia, Wash.

"We are very proud of her so far," Pierson said. "I think the Navy has been a great deal."

For related news, visit the Naval Training Center Great Lakes Navy NewsStand page at www.news.navy.mil/local/greatlakes.

Phantom Blooper
12-26-05, 02:14 PM
Service: Navy, Marine Corps Authorization: DOD 1348-33-M
Instituted: 1961

Description:

Authorized by the Secretary of the Navy, May 1, 1961 -- the award was originally known as the “Secretary of the Navy Commendation for Achievement.” Redesignated the “Navy Achievement Medal” by the Secretary of the Navy July 17, 1967; on August 19, 1994, the award was again redesignated the “Navy and Marine Corps Achievement Medal.”
Awarded to members of the U.S. Navy and U.S. Marine Corps in the rank of O-4 and below, for service performed on or after May 1, 1961, The Navy and Marine Corps Achievement Medal shall be awarded for professional and/or leadership achievement in a combat or noncombat situation based on sustained performance or specific achievement of a superlative nature. The Navy and Marine Corps authorized the letter “V” during Vietnam and subsequent to August 2, 1990.
BACKGROUND
The Navy Achievement Medal may also be awarded to members of the armed forces of a friendly foreign nation consistent with the eligibility requirements specified in chapter 6. Professional achievement which merits the award must:
Clearly exceed that which is normally required or expected, considering the individual's grade or rate, training, and experience; and
Be an important contribution of benefit to the United States and the naval service.
------------------------------------------

su·per·la·tive [ soo púrlətiv ]

adjective

Definitions:

1. excellent: of the highest quality or degree

2. grammar highest in degree of comparison: expressing the highest degree of grammatical comparison of an adjective or adverb
The superlative form of an adjective or adverb typically has the ending "-est."

noun (plural su·per·la·tives)

Definitions:

1. grammar grammatical form: the grammatical form of an adjective or adverb that expresses the highest degree of comparison
Put "tiny" into the superlative and you get "tiniest."

2. grammar superlative adjective or adverb: a superlative form of an adjective or adverb
the difference between a comparative and a superlative

3. somebody or something excellent: somebody or something of the highest quality

4. exaggerated praise: an exaggerated description or way of referring to somebody or something, usually expressing admiration
heaping superlatives on their performance

[14th century. Via French < Latin superlativus < past participle of superferre "carry above" < super "over, above" + ferre "carry"]

su·per·la·tive·lyadv
su·per·la·tive·nessn

---------------------------------
Semper-Fi! "Never Forget" Chuck Hall:evilgrin:

USMCgrunt0331
12-26-05, 04:08 PM
Easy now lol He's a PFC talkin about pickin up Lance Corporal for his referrals, which you can get if he gets 3 to enlist-NOT Corporal. Which to me still ain't right, pickin up E-3 just cuz your recruiter hooked you up w/ some referrals. And I still say there is now way he's gettin a NAM for 3 referrals.

hrscowboy
12-26-05, 04:16 PM
I have said this along about the difference between the Old Corps and the New Corps at least in the Old Corps you worked your butt off to get the rank and when you got the rank you were damn proud to get it.. In the New Corps these Marines have no idea what it is like to have to have a junk on the bunk inspections or the shining of brass everyday and the spit shine boots everyday and night.. all the real work is done for them...

outlaw3179
12-26-05, 04:36 PM
I think that change is good. but with that I do agree with Hrscowboy about the polishing of boots and the ironing of cammies. I dont think there was a better feeling then coming out to formation on Monday morning with a brand new fresh haircut, an awesome shine on your boots and creases on your cammies that could cut flesh. I like the new cammies for their durability but I think new Marines ae missing out on the experience of putting forth effort into your apperance so you wouldnt look like a ****-bird.

hrscowboy
12-26-05, 05:50 PM
appearence is part of the leadership process to be an NCO you must also show appearence and Knowledge to get your NCO commission.

USMCgrunt0331
12-26-05, 06:26 PM
I don't know about the regular fleet, but I know in FAST Co., we have frequent JOB inspections, we are required to have a fresh cut high and tight/high reg every Mon. morning (no low or med regs allowed), we have uniform inspections (Blues and Alphas) and we even have cammie inspections once in a while. There are tactical reasons for not starching cammies, and no we don't have to shine boots. What's the point of having cammies and boots you have to iron and shine if you're always in the field or in combat. "No inspection ready unit ever passed combat and no Combat ready unit ever passed a uniform inspection" All's I'm saying is there is still things you have to do to have a sharp appearance. Besides, with all the time the Corps spends on paperwork now, who has time to shine boots? lol

rb1651
12-26-05, 10:36 PM

Let me start by saying that I am proud to call you Brother, and I have the upmost respect for you. However, I still have a problem with a very junior Marine getting the NAM just because they got some people to sign a contract to enlist. As Phantom pointed out, "The Navy and Marine Corps Achievement Medal shall be awarded for professional and/or leadership achievement in a combat or noncombat situation based on sustained performance or specific achievement of a superlative nature." Where is the "sustained or specific achievement of a superative nature" in a TAD post?

Hell, I should be Commandant if all it took was to talk someone into joining the Corps. I can tell you the names of 11 people that I shared my pride of the Corps with that ultimately joined. I didn't ask for anything in return, other than have the pride of knowing that I made a difference in their lives.

'Nuff said.

Semper Fi

Ron

gonzo7679
12-26-05, 11:01 PM
I just joined this site and want to 1st off say "SEMPER FI" to the OLD CORPS Brothers.Are my eyes reading right,are they making it easy to get promoted in my BELOVED CORPS these days.No more junk on the bunk,getting stripes for getting guys to join, no more shinning of the boots and shoes the old fashion way(spit & rub). No more 10 mile graduation runs.~Aaarrrggghhhh~ tell me it isnt so.I must be haing a mid-life crissis cause I sure wished I would have stayed 20 and maybe then some.Again I want to say; SEMPER FI to my BROTHERS & SISTERS !!!!

USMCgrunt0331
12-26-05, 11:39 PM
RB1651,
Whoa Sgt., all I was referencing to is the fact that we still do things like JOB inspections and have to do things to look sharp and stuff. I am with you on the NAM issue, I'd be outraged if I found out a E-2, or any rank got any award much less a NAM just for enlisting a few people. I still think whoever told him he's getting a NAM for referalls is full of crap. If you'd read my previous posts on the NAM issue you would have seen that, so you see, I'm with you on that part.

rb1651
12-27-05, 09:55 AM
Oohrah, USMCgrunt0331. I have no doubt that you are a squared away Marine. I just have an issue with promotions and a NAM for getting someone to sign up.

Semper Fi

Ron

hrscowboy
12-27-05, 06:37 PM
yep gonzo7679 you eyes are not decieving you its the truth these young men and women of our Beloved Marine Corps today have no idea what it took to be a Marine in The Old Corps.. They dont shine boots or shoes anymore or brass either, The dont starch there covers or utilities like we did either and use Imnu on things.. the shoes are patton leather now along with class A cover that we had to polish to a shine that was out of this world. and have you all seen the packs these young men and women are carrying now holy crap we didnt carry that much into battle anywhere.. aww hell i am gettin riled up enuff said...

BOOGIEMAN44
12-27-05, 08:46 PM
What's the point of having cammies and boots you have to iron and shine if you're always in the field or in combat. "No inspection ready unit ever passed combat and no Combat ready unit ever passed a uniform inspection"

ANY ONE REMEMBER COMING STRAIGHT OUT OF THE WOODS AND HAVING A JOB THE NEXT MORNING? " WITH " RAZOR SHARP CREASE'S, HAND POLISHED BRASS, BOOT'S THAT LOOK LIKE GLASS? FREASH HAIR CUT AND THE ALL FAMOUS, YOU BETTER NOT HAVE ANY WATER IN YOUR CANTEEN'S?? DO THE YOUNG MARINES, NOT HAVE TO EXPERIENCE THIS, OR HAS THE CORPS GONE TO A FLUFF AND BUFF POLICY?

Phantom Blooper
12-27-05, 09:14 PM
Originally Posted by USMCgrunt0331
What's the point of having cammies and boots you have to iron and shine if you're always in the field or in combat. "No inspection ready unit ever passed combat and no Combat ready unit ever passed a uniform inspection"

PRIDE!

rb1651
12-27-05, 09:45 PM
Phantom,

One word has never said soooooo much!!!!!!

Semper Fi, from one 09-23 birthday to another. (Mine's '59 ya ol' fart!! LOL)

Ron

hrscowboy
12-27-05, 09:49 PM
yep fluff and buff brothers thats a good one for the New Marine Corps...

greensideout
12-27-05, 09:55 PM
"No inspection ready unit ever passed combat and no Combat ready unit ever passed a uniform inspection"

We did both in the "Old Corps". Don't buy off on that quote Marine.

Did I read this wrong? Isn't the pumped rank, Mexican General awarded person that we are talking about a squid? I think that the author meant "Basic Training", not "Boot". Darn squids!

Wyoming
12-28-05, 03:28 AM
I think the consensus here is disbelief -

ANY ONE REMEMBER COMING STRAIGHT OUT OF THE WOODS AND HAVING A JOB THE NEXT MORNING? " WITH " RAZOR SHARP CREASE'S, HAND POLISHED BRASS, BOOT'S THAT LOOK LIKE GLASS? FREASH HAIR CUT AND THE ALL FAMOUS, YOU BETTER NOT HAVE ANY WATER IN YOUR CANTEEN'S?? DO THE YOUNG MARINES, NOT HAVE TO EXPERIENCE THIS, OR HAS THE CORPS GONE TO A FLUFF AND BUFF POLICY?

PRIDE!

Etc., etc., etc., etc.

I'm not perfect, nor was I a perfect Marine, but I am a Marine. Having said that, the Marine Corps instilled many things in me, including pride in my appearance, etc.,which carried on after the Marines.

About the only thing I don't do is blouse my 'Levis'. My shirt is always tucked in, my shoes or boots are at least clean (with the laces tied), my hair is neat, I wear a belt and my buckle is squared AND I DO NOT wear a cap inside, much less while sitting down to eat.

jinelson
12-28-05, 04:55 AM
Yes there have been many changes since we served but the fact remains that our younger brothers and sisters stand just as proud and ready to defend as we did. Its just that the new Corps does not look the same look the same to us salts. Need I say more?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v660/jinelson/newcorps.gif

lucien2
12-28-05, 06:58 AM
Back in the day we got our first Contract Corporal, they leave boot and are guaranteed Corporal in six months! It did not go over well in our platoon, no one listened to him unless there were senior NCO's around.

BOOGIEMAN44
12-28-05, 07:00 AM
PRIDE!

ANYMORE QUESTIONS??

redneck13
12-28-05, 07:28 AM
Something here makes me laugh. Remember ya'll, oop's sorry. Remember you and I from back in the 60's and the First Sgt. Co. Gunny, etc used to say, "Back in the Old Corps?" Now here we are, us 60's Marines, sayin' the same thing. Not that I disagree. Before I got out? There was this "new image coming on." ,to me at the time. Which was as phony as a 3 dollar bill. I was on the drill field, I Co, 3rd Recruit Bn. MCRD Diego. We were watched extremely close. As the "brains" in Regiment couldn't figger out, "how do they get those recruits to do so well?" "They have to be beatin' 'em." I'm sure there are plenty whom had the hell beat out of 'em in boot. I did. Lost some teeth, got 'em fixed. I only smacked one Grape. He had it coming, and I was up to my ears in his crap. NO. I told my drill instructor's. "You teach, you lead, you set an example, if you hit one of "MY" Recruits? You'll pay. Oh hell yes it went on in the Co. Bn. Reg. But I didn't cotton to it. Not when I had the "pit's." Oh yeah, the pits. You could wear a worm face down to a frazzle, all legal, and get mighty fine results.
We had "spie's" in the barracks before the herd got up. Some "Maggot" from Regt. was sent to see how we got things done. Why spy on me? I ain't got nuttin' to hide. Why don't ya ask me? You might learn something, you Prune face piece.........."Whoa Wind 'n face." Don't go there. heeheheheeee.
Things were a changin' in 1975. I got out. Not because of that. But because there was something wrong with me, that nobody could figure out.
Big Al? "THANK YOU VERY MUCH. NOT WEARIN' YOUR COVER/HAT, INSIDE A BUILDING, AND ESPECIALLY WHEN YOU EAT. DAT BURN, I'M TELLIN' YA....THAT IS THE GREATEST THING I'VE HEARD IN A-WHILE. BECAUSE....IT'S THE WAY IT'S SUPPOSE TO BE. EVEN HERE IN TEJAS (TEXAS) MANY WEAR THERE HATS WHILE EATING. BUT NOT AT HOME. IT'S A TRADITION OF SORTS. Old, new, past present. We are still all brother's/sister's, fellow Marines. Let's keep it that way. Semper-fi God bless us all.