PDA

View Full Version : Operation Liberty Express veterans stand post together

thedrifter
12-23-05, 07:55 AM
Operation Liberty Express veterans stand post together
2nd Marine Aircraft Wing
Story by Cpl. James D. Hamel

AL ASAD, Iraq (Dec. 22, 2005) -- When Iraqis took to the polls Oct. 15 to vote on their new constitution, Sgt. Katherine Weller and Lance Cpl. Carlos Chilla were in the mix, providing security for the poll workers as part of Operation Liberty Express.

Two months later, as Iraqis voted for their national parliament, Chilla and Weller returned to Camp Liberty, serving the same duty as they had before, with a distinctive twist: they were battle buddies, standing post together.

“I was grateful to be with her because we both knew what to expect,” said Chilla, a Wai Ko Loa, Hawaii, native, and hydraulic mechanic for Marine Aviation Logistics Squadron 39. “She knew what to expect and how things were going to run. It’s also nice to work with a sergeant who knows how to get things accomplished.”

The duty for phase two of Operation Liberty Express was different in other ways. For one, the duty period was only eight hours long, four hours shorter than phase one. Weller said the quality of life was a little better, too.

“It was a much better living situation,” said the Augusta, W.V., native. “The first time we were all cramped into a single building. We ate (Meals, Ready to Eat) the whole time. This time there was a lot more comfort.”

Weller also enjoyed spending her duty with another Operation Liberty Express veteran.
“It ran a lot smoother with Chilla,” she said. “We already knew the ropes and had the experience to do everything right.”

For the operation, Chilla and Weller served as lookouts, manned checkpoints and patrolled the makeshift city built for Iraqi poll workers. Both Marines enjoyed the duty, though Weller wasn’t too enthusiastic about it prior to phase one.

“I was disappointed when I found out,” she said. “But this time was better, because I knew what I was doing. I didn’t have anything to fear because I knew what to expect.”
Chilla, on the other hand, was enthusiastic about the opportunity both times, so much so he volunteered to participate in phase two.

“Being from a squadron, we don’t get many chances to do this type of work, so it was a really cool opportunity,” he said. “We’re Marines first. After going to work in the same job for a while, it’s good to provide security, patrol and do things like that.”

Patrolling through the Iraqi camp was something many of the Marines on the operation enjoyed. Weller and Chilla were no exceptions. It gave the Marines an opportunity to exchange stories with locals and learn a little about Iraqi language and culture, an opportunity many of them relished.

For phase one of the operation, Chilla said the Iraqis in the camp were somewhat disorderly. Some started fights with their fellow poll workers. Chilla said the Iraqis were much more cooperative during phase two.

“It was really cool dealing with the Iraqis,” he said. “As a whole population, they were much better. Many of them had come back, so they knew what was going on.”

Both Marines realized the historical implications of the operation they participated in, where Iraqis voted in record numbers to elect a permanent government.

“I’m definitely proud to have been here both times,” said Chilla. “This small effort could lead to something very big. I never thought I would be a part of something like this.”

Ellie