PDA

View Full Version : It is time to honor those that serve our country

thedrifter
12-22-05, 09:32 AM
It is time to honor those that serve our country
Wednesday, December 21, 2005 8:42 AM EST
Brain Walker THE KENTUCKY STANDARD - 12/21/05

My grandparents’ generation fought in wars that are looked upon by historians as righteous causes. My parents’ peer group had Vietnam. Of course that era is not remembered for flag-waving glory and unified national pride previous conflicts brought.

Those fighting now are not getting the support of the nation as a whole either. I venture to say this war will be regarded in history with even more disdain than any other.

Outside of those who have extreme viewpoints, most citizens of this country would say our involvement in the first two great wars of the 20th Century was justified. How many people have you ever met that thought Hitler didn’t need to be ousted?

But every conflict thereafter a sliding public support of war is obvious to see. Many of the heads of countries we have fought were far from being reserved statesmen. But was the evil of the Axis powers in World War II so extreme that anything short of that horror should be ignored?

I’m not saying this nation should lead a worldwide conquest, just support our troops at the least. But that isn’t happening. Why is that the case? There have been numerous lives lost. Troops have returned home injured mentally and physically. Due to better field medicine and protective gear more lives are saved from injuries that would have been fatal in past wars. But because of that advancement, there will likely be a larger group of amputees in this country than ever.

The price troops pay is not imaginable by the average citizen. Whether you agree we should be overseas or not, don’t you care about those who are fighting on our behalf? Isn’t the sacrifice these men and women are giving in our all-volunteer military worth anything?

How many of you have sent a care package overseas? When have you attended a funeral of a fallen service member? Do you ever thank veterans or the currently enlisted when you see them in public in uniform?

Again, not to say all our actions are always justified, but the troops should get honor at all costs.

Past wars brought mandated nationwide rationing of goods and services. Travel was limited and freedoms were curtailed for the duration, sometimes longer. Drafts were begun and many unwilling to go to war went because they had no choice. Our ancestors understood these things. Although no one liked the situation, it was seen as a necessary way to help win.

If our government dared to shut down the production of new vehicles so that factories could build war machines, people would ask for their heads. In the past this practice was seen as part of the drive to win the war.

There was a time our celebrities lent their lives to help further the cause. Elvis Presley did his stint in the Army. Jimmy Stewart was a pilot.

The last person with any degree of fame I remember hearing about giving up a career for the service was a rapper named “Cannabis.” Yes, a dude with a stage moniker that is the scientific name for marijuana stopped touring about three years ago. He enlisted in the Army and went through basic training at Fort Knox. He’s a minor player in comparison to the aforementioned celebs, but he still made a sacrifice to be respected none-the-less.

Anybody else famous come to mind in the last few decades that chucked it all during a conflict and joined up? I didn’t think so. Now all we seem to get out of the multi-millionaire entertainers is running down our troops and leaders alike.

Look at the historic footage of Marilyn Monroe singing for soldiers and you can see the height of celebrity being used for good. Her actions today would be roughly like Jennifer Lopez showing up in the desert to belt it out for the Marines. Ain’t gonna happen though folks.

Bob Hope, who brought a bit of fun to those deployed in wars for generations, is gone. The USO carries on, but too often without the big names it deserves.

When an artist comes out in support of the war or as pro-military, they are barbequed by their peers. (Toby Keith anyone?)

So since most of the rich and famous celebrity machine won’t celebrate you, I will.

Here’s to all those who have or ever will serve our nation in uniform. Without you this land would fall. Thank you.

Ellie