PDA

View Full Version : Christmas message from the general

thedrifter
12-22-05, 08:13 AM
Christmas message from the general
email ^ | 20-DEC-2005 | A brigadier general in Iraq

Subject: Christmas Message from Gen ----------------

Merry Christmas, and Happy Holidays from all of us here in Iraq, to all of our families and friends. I wanted to write to you and tell you that all of us wish the very best of times for you and your families as we all go through this tough and trying time of the year. For many of our soldiers and families, this is the first time they have been separated during a holiday season, and it will be a challenging, and emotional time.

The soldiers will be busy working, but we will take time for them to eat a great holiday meal, and attend the worship service of their choice. We will lean on each other, and let our friends and army family support us as we miss our families back home. I hope that you will rely on family and friends to support you through this season also, and know that your FRG and army families are there when you need them.

I personally want to thank all of you for your support, your friendships, and for the service of both you and your soldier. The soldiers are doing great and important work. How important it is, was emphasized to me by a conversation that I had with the elder Sheik from one of the tribes in our area, and I would like to relay that conversation to you.

After the hellos and initial greetings, and after our business was over, the Sheik and I talked about families and how things were going. He talked about schools and jobs, and I talked about security and relationships between the Iraqis and the US soldiers. He asked me this question:
“What do you think is the most important thing that American soldiers have given to the people of Iraq?”
After thinking for a moment, I said probably the better security, and the rebuilding of some of the facilities we had worked on. He said,
“No, we could have done that on our own.”
He said,
“Let me explain the gift that you have given us, that will change our world.”

“For all of my life, and the lives of all of my ancestors, everything that happened to us, good or bad, happened 'en shallah.' It was the will of Allah. We believed that nothing could be changed, because it was supposed us to be that way, and had always been that way.

When America came to Iraq, you brought food, and security, and a new government and many things that were good, but the most important gift that you have given to the Iraqi people is the gift…..of HOPE. We have never had hope before. I have always accepted that my life was going to be as it is, and that my children’s lives would be as they were with no changes or chances to improve them. Now we have “HOPE” and it is truly a blessing from the Gods.”
It was very touching for me to see this man understand that the lives and cultures of his people are being changed, because American soldiers, your soldiers are helping to bring hope to a nation that had never had that luxury before. As I thought through what he had said, I thought how terrible it would be to have a life in which there was no hope. I can tell you that for me, the opportunity for the sacrifices that we have made to bring the gift of hope to a nation of people, is by far the most rewarding gift I could ever have been a part of, and the most humbling gift, I could have ever received.

Thanks for your service, thanks for supporting these great soldiers and Warriors of the -----, and all other US Service men and women around the world. They are magnificent soldiers, great friends and family, and they are changing the world as they accomplish this important mission. Merry Christmas, and Happy Holidays.

Regards,

BG -----------
Commander, Line
----- ---------- Combat Team