PDA

View Full Version : It's never too late

thedrifter
12-22-05, 06:23 AM
It's never too late
Marine Corps Recruiting Command
Story by Sgt. Jimmie Perkins

MARINE CORPS RECRUITING COMMAND, Quantico, Va. (Dec. 21, 2005) -- For years they’ve led Marines and emphasized the importance of taking advantage of military education benefits.

Now, as senior staff non-commissioned officers, graduating from college and moving their tassels for the second time has enriched their lives.

Knowing that experience alone would not satisfy their career goals, Master Gunnery Sergeant Preston E. Ford, Master Sergeant Jamesky Mardy and Gunnery Sergeant Charissa Howard embarked upon an intensive course of study through Averett University out of Danville, Va., to earn their Bachelor’s Degrees in Business Administration.

“Earning this degree gives me a level of pride, especially in how I did it - graduating with honors,” said Ford, a 26-year veteran of the Corps. “I’ve been a recruiter for many years and pitched the education benefits the Corps offers; now I can speak first hand as to how it all works.”

However, getting there wasn’t easy for the three. According to Mardy, the program through Averett University required the students to spend eight hours a week in classes, taking one class at a time, over a seven-week period for each class. The pace of study was demanding, while the Marines still had to meet work and family obligations. However, working together, the three were all able to reach their goals.

“I really have to say that having my group push me and be there to keep me motivated and not let each other down, was the reason I was able to finish,” said Howard, a 39-year-old native of Belton, S.C. “What’s also important is that I wanted to set an example for my teenage son and the junior Marines who work for me.”

For many individuals, a degree is more than just a piece of parchment, it translates to a substantial increase in earning potential down the line. The Department of Labor estimates that college graduates earn approximately 56 percent more in median income than those who did not go to college. Mardy, a 42-year-old native of Jacmel, Haiti, is well aware of that as he nears the latter days of his Marine Corps career.

“For a career Marine like myself, I will enter the civilian job market with my degree and 21 years of career experience, giving me an upper hand in negotiating for jobs and salary,” said Mardy, who retires in 2006. “Having more choices really empowers me.”

Aside from the tangible benefits, there are other reasons and rewards in completing a college education.

Ford did this as a personal goal. As a Master Gunnery Sergeant and the senior career recruiter (8412 Military Occupational Specialty), he had reached the top of his promotion potential. For him, it was about proving that seeking higher education is about leadership and setting the example.

“I challenge all Marines, if they haven’t already, to reach their potential and earn their degree or seek higher education while in the Marine Corps,” Ford said. “Just as important, set the example for all younger Marines who can look and say, ‘hey if Master Guns got his degree, then I can do it too’, because it is never too late for an education.”

Editor’s note – Master Gunnery Sgt. Ford and Gunnery Sgt. Howard received honors, Cum Laude, for graduating in the top ten percent of their class.

Ellie