PDA

View Full Version : Young Marines endure training

thedrifter
12-22-05, 05:58 AM
Young Marines endure training
By LANCE BENZEL
Of The Gazette Staff

It was an intense experience, but Misty Petersen knows why she braved eight weeks of "basic training" to be a part of Billings' first graduating platoon of Young Marines.

"It's for the self-discipline," the freshman at West High said after a graduation ceremony at the Armed Forces Recruiting Center on Gabel Road Wednesday night. "I'm doing this to keep control over my life and to follow in my brother's footsteps."

Peterson was one of 15 Billings-area boys and girls who signed on - some with a little encouragement from parents - to complete 50 hours of instruction under the guidance of soldiers from the Bravo Company, 4th Reconnaissance Battalion, 4th Marine Division in Billings.

The kids - ranging in age from 8 to 14 - learned to drill and follow commands, participated in team-building exercises and studied the history of the Marine Corps and Young Marines. They also contribute to community projects and leverage achievements at home for "promotions."

Organizers say the program builds confidence, determination and self-reliance.

The newly uniformed Young Marines said they managed to have a lot of fun in the process.

Pfc. Cameron Gibbs, 10, earned one of two "meritorious promotions" and received the highest score among boys in the physical fitness test required to graduate. In return, he received the "Iron Mike Award" and a kiss on the head from his mother during the ceremony.

"It's sort of a challenge, but after you graduate, it's sure an honor," said Cameron, a fourth-grader at McKinley Elementary.

Patty Walker was proud of her three children in the program - Pfc. Clair E. Walker Jr., who earned the highest distinction: "honor recruit"; Pvt. Lily Walker, who earned the "Jane Wayne Award" for physical fitness; and Pvt. Jacob Walker, selected as the most improved.

Patty Walker said her sons could often be seen practicing their drilling while tending to chickens and livestock as part of their regular chores. They also studied together to pass a 50-question test required of all recruits.

"It's just awesome," Walker said of the program.

Now that basic training is done, the platoon will continue to meet once a week for exercise and additional instruction. Rappelling, winter survival and special field trips are all on the bill, said organizer 1st Sgt. George Rabidou. He compares the Young Marines to the Boy Scouts and says the program is not meant to funnel kids into the military.

Ellie

Windle
12-23-05, 11:51 AM
He compares the Young Marines to the Boy Scouts and says the program is not meant to funnel kids into the military.

Haha, I don't know if I totally believe that one, but that said, I still think that this is pretty cool. I loved boy scouts, but being a Young Marine would have been way cooler!