PDA

View Full Version : Two 1/5 Marines awarded Bronze Stars

thedrifter
12-22-05, 05:28 AM
Two 1/5 Marines awarded Bronze Stars
MCB Camp Pendleton
Story by:Lance Cpl. Lanessa Arthur

MARINE CORPS BASE CAMP PENDLETON, Ca.(Dec. 21, 2005) -- Two Marines from 1st Battalion, 5th Marine Regiment, 1st Marine Division received Bronze Star Medals with Combat Distinguishing Device here Dec. 17.

First Sgt. Michael D. Brookman, company first sergeant, Company C and Cpl. Charles A. Williams Jr., vehicle commander, 3rd platoon, weapons company, were involved in combat operations against the enemy forces within a day of each other while deployed to Iraq with 2nd Brigade Combat Team, 2nd Marine Division, II Marine Expeditionary Force.

“These two Marines are representative of the quality of Marines we have in the Corps,” said Lt. Col. Eric M. Smith, battalion commander, 1st Bn, 5th Marine Regiment, 1st Marine Division.

According to the awards citation, on June 16, a company patrol in Ar Ramadi was ambushed by an enemy element after an improvised explosive device destroyed the lead vehicle. Brookman directed his vehicle toward the explosion. He then jumped out of his vehicle and rushed to aid the wounded while rounds were exploding in the vehicle and hostile rounds targeted him from two directions.

Brookman tried to get the remaining Marines out of the vehicle.

“I couldn’t pull them out because the doors were too hot and jammed, Brookman said.

Two Marines, who were out of the vehicle, were on fire and Brookman immediately put out the flames. He then assisted them for about 75 meters of open, fire-swept ground, disregarding injuries to his right knee caused by secondary explosions.

After applying first-aid on the burns of the two wounded Marines, Brookman called for a corpsman.

“I then radioed for help, but they couldn’t locate us,” he said. “I then began firing tracer rounds, so they would find us.”

Brookman continued to fire on the enemy position. He identified enemy strong points and directed heavy machinegun and rifle fire to eliminate the enemy threat while waiting for help.

“Brookman has always been a father figure to these guys,” said Smith who was there eight minutes before the attack occurred. “He doesn’t yell or scream, but doesn’t sugar coat things.”

On the following day Cpl. Charles A. Williams, another Marine from 1st Bn. 5th Marines found himself in a risky situation.

According to the awards citation, on June 17, the 3rd platoon was providing security for the North Bridge Traffic Control Point in Ar Ramadi, Iraq. Williams was corporal of the guard, ensuring all Marines on post were vigilant. The post also had a platoon of the Public Order Battalion, Iraqi Forces on hand to screen traffic.

As Iraqi soldiers screened vehicles they were engaged by small arms fire from the east. One Iraqi soldier was hit in the neck by a sniper round and fell to the road in the exposed search area, Williams said.

Disregarding his life, Williams gathered a group of Marines who were not on post, pointed out targets and tasked them with providing suppressive fire. He then ran back inside, located a corpsman and prepared to assist the casualty.

“I then communicated with the Iraqi sergeant and had them cease fire to prevent casualties from friendly fire,” Williams said.

Throughout the situation, Williams kept in radio communication with the platoon commander. Also, using his radio to communicate ordinance to provide suppressive machine gun fire, rifle fire and security.

Williams was the only Marine with smoke grenades.

“I used them and suppressive fire to get the corpsman back to cover” as he moved over exposed ground, said Williams.

“I think anyone in the battalion would have done the same,” Williams said.

The attack had no further casualties.

“I believe it meant a lot to the Iraqi Security Forces,” Smith said. “These Marines are role models for society and for the Marine Corps.”

Ellie