PDA

View Full Version : A Small Article on What Happened to Me

Seeley
12-20-05, 04:46 PM
http://www.marine-corps-news.com/2005/10/unseen_enemy_is_at_its_fierces.htm

The above contains a small blurp about Oct. 4th, when I was injured. It talks about a Marine being underneath a vehicle. I was that Marine. Just thought I'd share it with you all.

SF,
Shawn

lovdog
12-20-05, 07:52 PM
We all hope you are doing well now. I assume that you are at Bethesda being treated?? You didn't say - but if I had a truck of that size on top of me, I'd be "hurtin' for certain"! And sometimes the mental stress after being in a "bad situation" is really hard to overcome, sometimes harder to beat than the physical injury.

SOooooooo!! What happened? Your under the truck??????Did the Hulk show up & lift it off of you or what??? News continued at 11:00??
I assume that you didn't have a cigarette until the posse arrived??

You know, you shouldn't keep the audience in suspense for too long - I'm not getting any younger and I'm not alone out here in that department either!! I'm usually in bed by 11:30 on weeknights!!

rb1651
12-20-05, 08:50 PM
Shawn, that is one hell of an article. I'm just so thankful that you are still among us.

Lovdog. Please read the sticky forum on Open Squad Bay, Please Pray For LCpl Shawn Seeley, as well as many other forums in the same thread, and then you will understand what this fine Marine went thru, and is continuing to go thru. I normally don't take offence to what Marines and others say, but you are way out of line with what you have said.

This MARINE has sacrificed for his country, and it has cost him dearly. Those of us on this site have recognized what he has done for all of us. He endures pain that no young man should ever have to, but he does, because he believes in the principles that he enlisted for.

Shawn, I SALUTE YOU, and pray that our country will continue to turn out fine young individuals like you.

Semper Fi.

Ron

jinelson
12-20-05, 09:29 PM
lovdog you are way out of line Sergeant

GySgtRet
12-20-05, 09:29 PM
lovdog,

The following are articles ran by me and others on Leatherneck about LCPL Seeley. I think that you should be able to get to them this way. LCPL Seeley. I will see you when you get back to Bethesda, in January. Merry Christmas

Semper Fidelis

http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22510&highlight=LCpl+Seeley

http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24109&highlight=LCpl+Seeley

http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23972&highlight=LCpl+Seeley

http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23481&highlight=LCpl+Seeley

http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22718&highlight=LCpl+Seeley

http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23088&highlight=LCpl+Seeley

http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22981&highlight=LCpl+Seeley

http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22820&highlight=LCpl+Seeley

http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22780&highlight=LCpl+Seeley

http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22754&highlight=LCpl+Seeley

mrbsox
12-20-05, 09:49 PM
Sgt. lovedog,
Perhaps you missed muster in reception platoon. I see you came abord the site only recently, so perhaps didn't get the chance to read up on our LCpl Seely.

As you can see, we are a 'tight knit' unit around here. The Staff NCO's look out for us 'lowley braves', and we ALL stand up for each other. Shawn is near and dear to us. We watched this young buck grow from smart a$$ poolee, to Devil Dog, to an honored veteran.

Throw your seabag in the corner, stack arms, and find a rack. This place will feel like home after awhile.

Ms. Ellie will get the fire watch roster up soon.
Get your sea stories ready, buy a round at the 'Slop Chute', and welcome aboard.

Terry

Roulette
12-20-05, 10:59 PM
LCpl Seeley,
God Bless You Marine!

JAMarine
12-20-05, 11:03 PM
Give em Hell DevilDog.

rich

quillhill
12-20-05, 11:14 PM
Aw, I can't keep quiet any longer. I've been lurking here for a week, mostly reading through all the threads about Seeley after meeting him a week ago yesterday, it must have been.
If you think that's great, wait till you see what his hometown newspaper (the Covington Reporter) has in store for Jan. 4. Unfortunately, we're not online, but once the thing is published, I'll post scans of the article.
Anyway, pardon my interruption.
*bows back out*
Kris

jinelson
12-20-05, 11:35 PM
Outstanding quilhill Shawn is justly deserving of the very best, he is one of the most motivated and finest Marines I have ever been honored to know. He has upheld our Corps finest traditions and he has made us proud.

OORAH!!!

quillhill
12-20-05, 11:42 PM
Outstanding quilhill Shawn is justly deserving of the very best, he is one of the most motivated and finest Marines I have ever been honored to know. He has upheld our Corps finest traditions and he has made us proud.

OORAH!!!

Well, sir, we've gone all out with this one. Our photographer has taken a ton of photos of Shawn leaving the hospital, at home, at physical therapy. I'm going to sit down and write it tomorrow. Once I figure out where to start. It's the cover story for my next edition ... all the information I've read here on this fine Web site has helped complete the picture for me. I spent about an hour and half talking with Shawn last week and about an hour or so with his parents. So, I definitely got a chance to see firsthand what you mean. I have yet to talk to someone who knows Shawn that had anything but wonderful things to say about him.

Anyway, I don't want to give away too much. Besides, I still need to call SSgt Goodwin down in 29 Palms and go over some details with him.

But I should shut up. I don't want to steal his thunder. :)

JAMarine
12-21-05, 02:29 AM
When you've completed your mission you and I'll set down for a cup of coffee. I'm down in Puyallup. I'll make the trip to see ya.
Thank you for your support.
rich

Phantom Blooper
12-21-05, 05:28 AM
Shawn,that is a fine article young warrior! Everyday I wake from slumber and thank the Supreme Commandant for another day above ground and to be able to own land that is free that I can call my own. This my my friend is because of men like you and before you that have accepted the call and go to the forefront and take the challenge.

You and your family continue to be in my prayers and thoughts and wishing you a "Merry Christmas" and praying that your "2006" is better than your "2005."

Marines,"Never argue with an idiot,they will just drag you to their level and beat you with experience." :banana:

Semper-Fi! "Never Forget" Chuck Hall :evilgrin:

GySgtRet
12-21-05, 06:08 AM
quillhill,

You are in the media and you are getting the entire story. Thank you for reading through the threads about LCpl Seeley, this should help you get a handle on the article. If this indeed happens you are a great contributor to this fine young Marine's story. Please just get the facts straight as it seems you are going to do this. Please include any photographic material that you can provide we in here are very interested in any story that involves the truth in a story without putting in your opinion. I will be looking forward to reading what you have to say on January 4th 2006. I hope that everybody has a Joyous and Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

gys
12-21-05, 11:17 AM
Thank you for your service

Is this the article
The Oct. 4 attack is an example. The area was rarely traveled by troops and was laced with explosives. Sergeant Callahan said 10 I.E.D.'s went off in the area that day. At 7:18 a.m., insurgents set off three explosives from holes in the road under a convoy, flipping a Humvee onto its back. Fuel gushed, making a pool on the ground, and a marine trapped under the vehicle was barely able to keep his mouth above the rising fluid. A Navy medic riding in the Humvee lost his leg but still gave first aid. The driver was killed instantly.

junker316
12-21-05, 11:47 AM
It is nice to finally hear from you LCpl Seeley. I am proud that my prayers for you and your family has been answered.

Lovdog you need to read the other threads first.

Quillhill thank you for allowing us to know that LCpl Seeley has something important coming.

lovdog
12-21-05, 12:17 PM
Shawn:
Being new to this site and usually going thru pretty fast during lunch and a little some evenings, It didn't dawn on me the last name was in fact the same person that has received a million posts and concerns these last couple of months. And I do apologize for not being more cognizant of my surroundings. Ive known alot of Marines with the name Smith - know what I mean? After reading the linked article, all that was mentioned was about you being under the truck in a pool of gas - then it ended!! All I wanted to do was hear what actually happened - in your words, not the media. If you don't want to talk about it, thats okay too, I understand. And, after all that you've been through, I'm sure a little humor won't go amiss! I visit the VA hospital from time to time and talk to the guys - just to keep their spirits up. I hope that your getting your fair share of attention down in Maryland, you seem to be well liked by all here and I'm sure your family has been at your side thru all this also.
My son is in Afghanistan now and not a day goes by that we don't think of him and hope he stays out of harm's way, the wish of all parents I guess.
Hopefully you can find time to answer this thread & get some of these guys off my back! I meant no disrespect or harm in any way believe me - I'm a dad!! I wish you well.

GySgtRet
12-21-05, 12:31 PM
lovedog,

LCpl Seeley has been at his home in Covington Washington since just before Thanksgiving. He will be returning to Bethesda sometime in January for more surgery, well atleast that is the last information that I have. Does somebody else have better gouge? By the way there isn't really an attack just giving you some situational awareness training.

quillhill
12-21-05, 12:54 PM
quillhill,

You are in the media and you are getting the entire story. Thank you for reading through the threads about LCpl Seeley, this should help you get a handle on the article. If this indeed happens you are a great contributor to this fine young Marine's story. Please just get the facts straight as it seems you are going to do this. Please include any photographic material that you can provide we in here are very interested in any story that involves the truth in a story without putting in your opinion. I will be looking forward to reading what you have to say on January 4th 2006. I hope that everybody has a Joyous and Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

Gunney, the only opinion I have is that LCpl Seeley has a hell of a story. Everybody knows somebody in the military, but until you sit down and talk to Shawn, nothing you've heard from the people you know in the military hits home quite like his story does.
My aim, as always, is to make sure everything I write is accurate. And the forums here have been extremely helpful in giving me the full picture. I read through every single thread that was posted since Shawn was injured. Robin suggested I check out leatherneck.com and I'm glad she did.
As for posting photos, I'll talk with our photographer about what we can do. I can tell you we have lots of great photos of Shawn. Both the photogrpaher and I are very passionate about getting this story right.

Anyway, I don't want my grandfather rolling over in his grave. Sgt. Hugh Church, USMC, served during WWII. :)

rb1651
12-21-05, 12:56 PM
lovdog,

Please understand that I wasn't getting on your back, just trying to let you know what has been going on with LCpl Seeley. If I offended you, then please accept my sincere apologies. As I said, seldom do I get upset with what anyone might say, as everyone has their own opinions and there is much knowledge to be gained by listening to others, even if you don't agree with them.

Welcome aboard Marine. I'll be sure to include your son in my prayers.

Semper Fi

Ron

GySgtRet
12-21-05, 01:02 PM
quillhill,

You seem like a person with integrity. I met with LCpl Seeley personnaly on three ocassions when he was at Bethesda. I also met Doc Leo and his parents. These two young men are definitely made of good stock and make me very proud to be an AMERICAN indeed. I am glad to see that you have some Marine Corps lineage in your family, your grandfather would be proud of what you are doing.

moose0311
12-21-05, 03:01 PM
Shawn its good to have you home I know your family is happy to have you at home & at Christmas time you all have alot to be thankful for this year happy holidays to you and yours for God has surely Blessed all of you all my prayers go to you enjoy the rest of your life for you truly know how priceless it is Semper FI little Brother It will get better

quillhill
12-21-05, 03:07 PM
Thank you for your kind words, Gunney. Though I have not met Corpsman Leoncio, Shawn told me all about him and I make mention of his efforts in the story. I just finished writing it. It's 73 inches long unedited. My boss is going to freak, but truth is, I could've written another 30 inches and I don't care.
I just spoke with SSgt Goodwin, he's with public affairs for the 3/7, to make sure I got every guy's name right that Shawn mentioned, including Leoncio's. I told Robin I would try and get the name of every Marine or Corpsman that Shawn mentioned to me in the paper because I know how important his brothers are to him.

Anyway, I hope this article I'm working on puts everything else to shame. ;)

Enough of my intrusion.

Cole11
12-21-05, 06:35 PM
Semper Fi Seeley

BOOGIEMAN44
12-21-05, 09:45 PM
Shawn, Thank You For Your Service Young Brother, I Hope And Pray Your Recovery Is Of Little Time, I, As Other Marine Brothers, Have Followed Your Story Like A Bible Since That Regretful Day When Jim Broke The Story To The Brother Hood And We All Felt Like A Traine Hit Our Soul, Lovdog, Please Read Up On What This Young Fine Warrior Marine Has Taken For His Country.may His Fine Service Never Be Forgoten, Shawn, You, Mandy And Your Family, Are All Still In My Prayers, You Go Marine, Thank You. Please Have Mandy Sendy Me Your New Address, Swansea High School Here In South Caroline, Are Still Wanting To Send You Letters Of Get Well, Get Well Brother.

rb1651
12-21-05, 10:01 PM
quillhill.

I'm looking forward to your story. As many have said on this post, I thank you for taking the time and effort to report on this fine Marine and his Breathren. It's people like those individuals that allow us to have a site like this, where we can talk, share, grieve, bi**h, or whatever.

Shawn, Amanda and the rest of the family, I wish you a most Joyous Christmas, and Happy New Year. Thanks to all of you for being an inspiration to myself, and many others.

Semper Fi

Ron