PDA

View Full Version : We got to see Nathaniel Leoncio (Doc Leo) yesterday!!!!!! Pictures attached!

cookieintern
12-20-05, 07:56 AM
:D :D :D We finally got down to BAMC!! Here are the photos from our visit,
we had a WONDERFUL time, the children kept thanking me for taking them down there...

Doc Leo's parents are just dear, and were such terrific host and hostess to us! We gave Doc Leo a Christmas stocking full of treats, some homemade cookies and a remote control car to race up and down the halls. The children sang a Christmas song for everyone...

Doc was between PT appointments and was bright and cheerful! His eyes smiles when his mouth does, it's beautiful! He was wonderful with the children and so fun to talk to. He goes home to CA om 12/23 for two weeks (Christmas leave) then back to Powless @ BAMC for more therapy and then surgery in Feb. His parents have been away from their home (and their 15 year old son) for three months straight and are looking forward to the 23rd! They will come back in Feb for his surgery.

Doc talked with us about his injuries like they were no big deal, and showed the children his temporary abdomen wall (grafted from his left thigh). It's amazing how cheerful he is with all that he's been through and what he faces. His mom told me he wants to go back over to Iraq and get back to active duty, that he wants to keep practicing medicine and make a difference (look at the difference he's made already!). What an exceptional young man!! THANK YOU DEAR LORD, for Doc Leo!! We are so privileged to have met him and his dear parents. We can't wait to see then again!!!

We visited with them at the Powless Guest House and then they took us over to the hospital and we got to meet two wonderful soldiers, pass out more cookies and Christmas treats, then left the extras in the burn ward and the amputee rehab center...

On our way out, we stopped by Fisher House, met Inge (the wonderful lady that runs the place) and left treats there...

Everyone was so gracious and kind -

It was an AWESOME, AWESOME DAY!!!!!!

Texas-sized CHRISTmas hugs for you all,

Coneen and crew
Alexandra, Robert, Ivy, Fallon, Ivy, Audra and Cadence

Osotogary
12-20-05, 08:03 AM
Priceless. Thanks for the wonderful photos.

GySgtRet
12-20-05, 08:23 AM
cookieintern,

Thank you so much for what you have done. I was beginning to think that people had forgotten Doc Leo. He is an amazing young man with more on his plate than most people could ever dream about.

cookieintern
12-20-05, 08:33 AM
Thank YOU for your kind words, Ed! It seems though, from what his mom said, that he gets LOTS of mail and has had many visitors. Soldiers Angels (the org the kids and I are so involved in, gave him a laptop!) Now, I am of the opinion that when "some" is good, "more" is better (woooo hoooo!) so I hope that the mail and vistors keep coming!! Did you guys know that the corpsman (medic) who took Doc Leo's place lost both of his legs in a similar incident, only in this one, i think 5 or 6 of the guys were severly wounded and are at Bethesda now... if we can all just do a little - and pray, pray pray...

Coneen

GySgtRet
12-20-05, 08:42 AM
cookieintern,

I had heard some news but no names. It is a bad place to be in Iraq. But I think that the end will justify what is going on now. Do you happen to know any names? I will try and stir things up again here around Bethesda, and around this general area. Do you happen to know any names of the wounded now at Bethesda? I had heard that the replacements for LCpl Seeley and Doc had been wounded but no other news.

ringoffire
12-20-05, 08:54 AM
cookieintern,

Thank you so much for an update and the pictures, Doc Leo looks in good spirits.
I know somewhere there is an address for him, but maybe you could post it again.
Thanks,
Tina

Osotogary
12-20-05, 11:08 AM
I think that Doc Leo's address may be under one of LCpl Seeley's threads but I am not quite sure. I'll check.

Osotogary
12-20-05, 11:26 AM
Courtesy of GySgtRet. (11/05)

HM3 (FMF) NATHANIEL R. LEONCIO
BAMC - PATTeam
BROOKE ARMY MEDICAL CENTER
3851 ROGER BROOKE DRIVE, BLDG 3600
FORT SAM HOUSTON, TX 78234-6200

Phone Number: (210) 916-1949 He is in Room 455.

captken
12-20-05, 11:49 AM
cookieintern,
Well now you really messed up! I have to go into a meeting in a few minutes and after reading your beautiful letter I have to get my emotions under control.

Thank you...thank you many times over to you and your wonderful kids. I'm sitting here listening to Christmas music in my office and am thrilled to realize that His spirit lives on in people like you.

GySgtRet, looks like you and I gotta get hot on those kids that are from Docs unit that are here in Bethesda.

Dang...where's my Kleenex...I gotta look semi-professional at this meeting!

rb1651
12-20-05, 12:31 PM
Thanks so much for the update and pics. My family and I have sent a couple of cards and letters. More will be on the way. More prayers on the way to Bethesda. GySgtRet and capken, let us know if you locate any of the Marines and the Devil Doc.

Ron

yellowwing
12-20-05, 01:31 PM
he wants to go back over to Iraq and get back to active duty, that he wants to keep practicing medicine and make a difference (look at the difference he's made already!). What an exceptional young man!!
Yessir captken, that one really got to me also!

I am glad that this Devil Doc is doing well and is not forgotten. Who could forget such determination, motivation, and character!

rsta
12-20-05, 05:46 PM
Great post! Coneen, you and your family really did a great thing. Thanks for the photos, Doc's looking good. Where do we get such fine men?

Semper Fi!

Bob

ringoffire
12-20-05, 05:57 PM
Thanks for posting that address again!!

captken
12-21-05, 07:11 PM
I've been thinking about what GySgtRet started and how a seemingly small act has grown into something wonderful that has affected many lives. And I don't think the end is in sight. It made me think of something I wrote a while back for a Christmas narration. If you'll permit me I'll post it here. Somehow what cookieintern has done brings this to mind...

We live in a world filled with wars and rumors of war. The words of Longfellow’s I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day seem to be prophetic… “There is no peace on earth, I said, for hate is strong and mocks the song of peace on earth good will to men.”

Surely if we are to have peace on earth this Christmas it will take a miracle. But miracles do happen as illustrated by the following true story.

It was New Year’s Eve 2002 in a ballroom in downtown Washington, D.C. A group of young adults were having their New Year’s Eve ball. The ladies were beautiful with dresses, hair and makeup done to perfection. The gentlemen all looked their best as well.

The ballroom rapidly filled. In the crowd was a young lady who came in a wheelchair. Early in the evening she seemed to have plenty of friends with her. But…predictably, as the evening wore on the number of friends around her wheelchair thinned as more and more couples spent time dancing. It would take nothing short of a miracle to keep her from spending the rest of the night alone in her wheelchair.

But that night the miracle did happen. It took the form of a tall young man in the dress blue uniform of a United States Marine. He walked over to the young lady in the wheelchair …bent down, scooped her up in his arms and carried her out onto the dance floor where they proceeded to dance…he holding her and she with her arms around his neck.

A miracle needed…a miracle made. Made by an ordinary person doing an extra-ordinary act of kindness.

To help us bring the miracle of peace to others this Christmas we have the counsel found in the famous prayer for peace of St. Francis of Assisi.

“Lord, make me an instrument of Thy peace.
Where there is hate, may I bring love;
Where offense, may I bring pardon; …
Faith, where once there was doubt;
Hope, for despair;
Light, where was darkness;
Joy to replace sadness.”

If we are to have the miracle of peace on earth this Christmas then we must take the first step…
“Let there be peace on earth, and let it begin with me.”
------
I apologize for taking up some much space with this but all these posts remind me that you folks aren't waiting for miracles to happen. You're making them happen. BTW, my wife and I were chaparoning that dance and witnessed the whole thing. It will never be forgotten by either one of us.

So thanks to GySgtRet and the rest of you for not waiting around for a miracle to just happen.

Merry Christmas Marines!

MillRatUSMC
12-21-05, 08:12 PM
Now you all did it!
I seem to have a light mist around my eyes, and I'm wondering;
"Where do we get men such as this?"
It been asked but one only has to look to Doc Leo to see where we get men such as this...

Semper Fidelis
Ricardo

rb1651
12-21-05, 10:19 PM
Doggone it captken, you just stirred up alergy dust again!!! I'm goin' end up divorced if I don't quit using all of the tissue.

Thanks for the post, but I don't think WE make the miracles happen. We're just here to share them with each other when they do.

Semper Fi, my friend.

Ron

CHOPPER7199
12-22-05, 12:33 AM
What Can One Say To Top All Of The Things Said? Just Thanks To A Whole Troop Of People Who Love And Care. God Bless All And Keep The Prayers Going Out For Our Troops. Merrychristmass Everyone.

MillRatUSMC
12-22-05, 06:01 AM
Has anybody an idea of how one can send an E-Christmas Greeting Card to Doc Leo?
Because it's a bit late for a snail mail Christmas Greeting Card.

ringoffire
12-22-05, 07:58 PM
Saw this on another website, thought I'd post it here. I don't know if Doc Leo has access to a computer to view this, but hopefully someone can pass it along.

The Corpsmans Christmas Poem

"'Twas the night before Christmas as I flew o'er the Marine Base,
when I spied a young man who seemed out of place.
His eyes showed compassion, his hair a bit long,
but his head was held high and his body was strong.

His air was confident, his uniform smart,
but what impressed me most was the size of his heart.
For he embodied honor, one of this country's best,
and the words U.S. NAVY showed large on his chest.

As I stood there in wonder and gazed into his eyes,
the words that he spoke took me quite by surprise.
"What's wrong Santa, haven't you ever seen a sailor before?"
I sensed something special and longed to know more.

"To be honest, this field thing wasn't part of my plan,
but God didn't give me a boat or tin can."
The words he spoke next surprised me all the more,
"But I'm as proud of my Navy as I am of the Corps!"

"Don't worry Santa, that I'm a sailor you see,
for when a Marine goes down they will still call on me.
They'll forget I'm a sailor, they'll call in my stock.
At the top of their lungs they'll yell ,"Get me the doc!"

"And I'll answer that call, anytime, anywhere.
Though I know I'm a target I really don't care.
I'll face incoming fire as I race cross the land,
and use my very own body to shield a downed man."

"Working long hours and into the night,
my unit's battle is over, but I'm just starting to fight.
For the life of every Marine is sacred to me.
I refuse to surrender them to death, and in that I'll find victory."

"And yet I'll take the time to comfort a dying man,
to sit down by his side, to reach out and hold his hand.
For it takes as much courage to care as to fight.
For just as the poem says, many don't "go gently into that night."

"Santa, it's not any one uniform that makes you a man,
but rather it's those ideals for which you choose to stand.
I draw my line here, it's long and it's plain.
For pain, hurt and suffering are the things I disdain."

I know very well that I may lose my life,
so that a Marine may see an unmet child and young wife.
So Santa, it really doesn't matter if they don't like my hair.
I'm a Navy Corpsman, their Doc, and I'll always be there."

"I follow the brave docs who have come long before,
from Belleau Wood, Iwo, and Lebanon's shore.
As history proudly shows, they all gave their best,
and for those who have died, surely they're blessed."

"At Inchon, the gulf and times during Tet,
our brothers have fallen, but we carry on yet.
For we carry their honor and legacy still."
As I held back my tears it took all of my will.

I had to leave him there for I had other plans,
but I knew in my heart that the Corps is in good hands.
As I flew away I heard his laughter, it rang so loud and clear.
"Hey Santa, how 'bout a nice pair of boots for the 26 miler next year?"

rb1651
12-22-05, 11:12 PM
ringoffire,

I don't know where you found that, but no truth has ever been spoken better!! Even though I was never in combat during my time in the Corps, I would have gladly given my life to defend fine men like Doc Randle so that he could take care of others.

Semper Fi, Devil Docs. You will ALWAYS be "One of the Few".

Ron

captken
12-24-05, 10:28 AM
Thanks ringoffire! That was great.

marinemom
12-24-05, 11:51 AM
OK - a box of tissues for that one, ring.......got to be some way to send it to Doc.............

hrscowboy
12-24-05, 12:00 PM
dang pass me the tissues please.... ooorahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

BOOGIEMAN44
12-24-05, 01:18 PM
“Lord, make me an instrument of Thy peace.
Where there is hate, may I bring love;
Where offense, may I bring pardon; …
Faith, where once there was doubt;
Hope, for despair;
Light, where was darkness;
Joy to replace sadness.”

If we are to have the miracle of peace on earth this Christmas then we must take the first step…
“Let there be peace on earth, and let it begin with me.”
------
I apologize for taking up some much space with this but all these posts remind me that you folks aren't waiting for miracles to happen. You're making them happen. !

CAPTKEN, THANK YOU FOR SHAREING THAT PRYER, KINDA MAKES ONE MISTY EYED, AND PLEASE DON'T APOLGIZE, WE ARE ALL IN THIS TOGETHER, THERE WAS ONLY ONE MAN THAT CAN MAKE A MIRACLE HAPPEN, WE AS MARINES, JUST PUSH IT ALONG A LITTLE BIT, AND THANK GOD FOR CORPS MEN, I NEVER LET A CORPS MAN BUY ME A DRINK... I BOUGHT HIS, THANKS DOC FOR ALL YOU DID, AND THOSE MARINES YOU SAVED, GOD BLESS YOU, GOD SPEED.

hrscowboy
12-24-05, 03:14 PM
Boogieman i could have not said it better myself.. Orahhhhhhhhhh Semper Fi