PDA

View Full Version : S.J. blogger hails close-up view of Iraq

thedrifter
12-20-05, 04:56 AM
ON THE WEB
Read Bill Roggio's blog at www.billroggio.com or www.threatswatch.org.
S.J. blogger hails close-up view of Iraq
By ANNA NGUYEN
Courier-Post Staff

MEDFORD

In the past month, Bill Roggio has gone from writing a blog about Iraq from home to doing so from the front lines.

Roggio, who left Medford for Iraq on Nov. 19, will return Wednesday. The township resident has met military leaders, troops and Iraqi citizens while traveling in the region.

Being in Iraq makes it "easier to understand what is going on," Roggio, 35, said in an e-mail. "Viewing the events and seeing the places I have discussed gives additional context to the current events."

Blogs -- short for Web logs -- are Internet sites that are devoted to various interests and updated through links to other sites or via back-and-forth comments.

Roggio has maintained a blog about military operations in Iraq since March 2004.

The name of Roggio's blog, The Fourth Rail, plays off the term Fourth Estate, which refers to the press, and his 5-year-old son's love of trains. To date, his blog has had more than 1.25 million visits.

Roggio said he started the blog because he felt the media concentrated too heavily on "bomb-of-the-day" stories and missed the progress in rebuilding efforts.

As the blog's popularity grew, senior Marine officers took notice, which led to an invitation to go to Iraq.

"I know he's in dangerous areas, but in good hands," said his mother, Connie Roggio, who lives in West Chester, Pa. "It's just a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity."

Roggio agreed to respond to a reporter's questions about his trip via e-mail. Here are excerpts of his feelings about the experience:

Q: What has surprised you most?

A: Since being in Western Iraq and Baghdad, I've witnessed only two shots fired (in) anger at the Marines.

Q: How will the trip help your blog when you return? How do you think this will change you?

A: I've made contacts and friendships here with several military and non-military personnel. I think I have now opened the door for future contact, which will allow me to conduct long-distance interviews and discuss events. It's hard to say now how this will change me. I've learned just how hard it is to part from my family. I have been reminded of the sacrifices our military makes daily.

Q: What kind of progress have you seen?

A: A month ago, western Iraq was a battleground, and reconstruction projects occur in these same towns today. I've attended meetings with local tribal leaders and they're willing to cooperate with the Iraqi government, establish security and begin rebuilding.

Q: What is it like to interact with Iraqi citizens?

A: They are very friendly and the children follow us everywhere. I walked a patrol in Husaybah, where Iraqi troops handed out election flyers, and the people were very pleased to see us. I've talked to many Iraqis via an interpreter.

Q: How did the soldiers respond to you?

A: A few were waiting for me to get there. In one case, a father told his son that I would be around his area. By chance, I walked a patrol with his squad. The soldier told me, "My dad's been reading you and he said you were coming!" We took a photo and sent it to his father.

Q: When have you felt unsafe?

A: The only place was in the "Green Zone" in Baghdad. The place looks like a fortress, with multiple checkpoints and concrete barriers. As soon as I got with the Marines, I have felt completely at ease.

Reach Anna Nguyen at (856) 317-7828 or anguyen@courierpostonline.com

Ellie