View Full Version : Marine Corps tie strengthened bond between Fales' brothers

thedrifter
12-20-05, 04:39 AM
Published: December 20, 2005 12:19 am
Soldiers remembered
Marine Corps tie strengthened bond between Fales' brothers
By Scott Turner
SIMCOE —

Jacob Fales was actually following in his younger brother's footsteps when he decided to enlist in the Marines after graduating from Fairview High School.

Adam Fales planned to enlist when he was 17-years-old, but their mother, Glenda, had other plans. His older brother ended up enlisting instead.

"It was Adam's plan all along," Jacob Fales said. "He turned down scholarship offers from small colleges to serve in the Marine Corps. His story is like one out of World War II."

The fact that both served with military police in the Marine Corps strengthened the relationship Jacob had with his brother Adam, who died from a gunshot wound in Iraq on Friday.

"My brothers Adam and James are my best friends," Jacob Fales said. "My father (Joseph) was the best man at my wedding because I could not choose between the two."

That is what made hearing the news of his brother's death even harder. Jacob Fales was in Honolulu, where he is stationed, when the news came.

"I thought, 'no way'," Jacob Fales said. "I started shaking. I was in denial."

Also a corporal in the Marines, he's long been aware of the risks of being a soldier. He has already served in Iraq as part of a tour of duty that also included time in Bahrain and Kuwait in 2003

"I didn't think something like this would happen to either one of us," Jacob Fales said.

Upon hearing the news, he, wife Valerie and five-month old daughter Emily made the long flight back to Alabama. He made a similar flight under much different circumstances a few months earlier, when Emily was only five weeks old.

That trip was to see Adam off to Iraq.

"I think he was a little sad, because you always know of the possibility that you're not coming back," Jacob Fales said. "But we had fun before he left. We played football with my dad and my brother James."

The news of Adam Fales' death has been devastating for his older brother and the rest of the family.

They've been helped over the past few days by the overwhelming support of the Fairview community.

"I want these people to know that they've gone above and beyond for us," Jacob Fales said.

Churches in the community have been bringing food to the house.

Members of the community have stopped by to let the family know they are in their prayers.

They even collected money to pay for part of Jacob Fales' family's airfare from Hawaii, taking care of a part that was not covered by the Marine Corps.

"I'm coming back to Fairview to live when I'm through," Jacob Fales said. "I'm never going to leave."

There is the possibility that Jacob Fales may serve another tour of duty in Iraq. He will begin his second four-year stint with the Marines early next year.

Adam's death has not changed his mind about serving in the Corps, although he's concerned about the toll it has taken on his mother.

"She had three sons, now she's only got two," he said.

His brother's death has strengthened his opinion about the U.S.'s mission in Iraq.

"If we pull out now, then my brother died for nothing," Jacob Fales said. "It's cost too many lives, too much money for us to pull out. We need to finish the job."

Ellie