PDA

View Full Version : Leatherneck it shall be

redneck13
12-19-05, 05:44 PM
:D :banana: :evilgrin: Well I reckon, I won't know what "Jarhead" stands for. Even with a Movie called "Jarhead." But that's okay. I will stick with "Leathernecks" and leave it at that. Thanks for all the possibilities from all.

GySgtRet
12-19-05, 09:03 PM
wind'nface,

The legend goes that because we are Marines and there is some jealousey amoung services. I forgot which one nicknamed "US" as "JARHEAD", JUGHEAD" and other terms of indearment. The way I recall "JARHEAD" is during recruit traing a recruits head is removed and threads are placed around the neck and screwed back on. But before being screwed back on we are filled with $^*#...??? I don't know if this is true or not, or whether I have interpreted it correctly but that is my 2 cents worth on it. Go ahead, somebody else take a stab at it...!!!

redneck13
12-20-05, 08:35 AM
Maybe we're gettin' closer to finding the "real" answer. Thanks Gunny.

airframesguru
12-20-05, 08:41 AM
I heard that people useed to think we looked like an ol mason jar (used for canning veggies etc) with the screw on lid....

Dunnoo

Sempers,

Mike

redneck13
12-20-05, 11:03 AM
Keep tryin' ya'll haha. I just think "we" should know? Maybe I'll write the Commandant, if he don't know? We will never find out. Or The TV Gunny.....

outlaw3179
12-20-05, 11:13 AM
Wind n face thats a good idea. I just emailed the Gunny on Mail call the question to where the term Jarhead actually comes from .

redneck13
12-20-05, 11:29 AM
:evilgrin: Thanks. I forgot about his site. Cain't remember the address. Can you send it to me at my e-mail? pbail57@aol.com? I'd appreciate it. Many thanks.

outlaw3179
12-20-05, 12:01 PM
no problem will do .

outlaw3179
12-20-05, 12:05 PM
http://www.rleeermey.net/

http://www.historychannel.com/mailcall/

This is the gunnys actual website ...I havent looked around yet , but it does have a link where you can send questions to him on Mail Call.

also theres a link for his site through the history channel .

yellowwing
12-20-05, 02:48 PM
Wikopedia and Answers.com both have similar entries of:

The slang originated during WWII when the Mason Jar Company started making their helmets.
I have sent a message to the Ball (Mason) Company to see if there is any truth to this.

yellowwing
12-20-05, 03:28 PM
I just got an answer back.

Mr. McCarty (public relations of Ball), said that this has come up several times in the past. He had finally talked to 90 year old John Fischer, the oldest living member of the actual Ball family.

The still sharp and clear minded Mr Fischer has no knowledge of his company ever manufacturing helmets for the Marine Corps.

...and the mystery continues!

lovdog
12-20-05, 04:13 PM
I got it, I got it!!!

An old Marine dropped a nickel in a mason jar!
Marines, being a frugal bunch, he naturallly reached into the jar and grasped the nickel -tight, refusing to let it out of his nasty, crusty, leathery clutches!! The Marine is in a quandry - his hand is stuck!!
Not wanting to lose his grip and release the nickel, he abruptly smashed the mason jar against his forehead with all his might!! The glass shards and blood flew everywhere coating the Mexican Villa where he was stationed!! Some say: It even reached - you guessed it "the Halls of Montezuma" - thus the first verse of the Marine Corps Hymn that (we all remember reverently, having to sing all three verses going thru the gas chamber)!!
And, we all know how hardheaded Marines are anyway so to him it felt no more than a Parris Island Sand Flea having a quick lunch on a new recruit!!
Thus - the name "Jarhead"!!!

Lets see if the Commandant can top that??

outlaw3179
12-20-05, 06:22 PM
ohhhhhhhh ok lol....now it all makes sense.

redneck13
12-20-05, 06:22 PM
Are ya Sure lovdog? It sounds good. I hope you're right. I like, "let's see if the commandante can top that??? Get 'R Done!!!