PDA

View Full Version : Marines Moving Out

thedrifter
12-18-05, 04:36 PM
Marines Moving Out
Bennett Haeberle; Web Produced by Matt Tettelbach
Action News 36
Dec 18, 13:51 PM EST

It can be a stressful, worrisome time for the families of servicemen and women.

Marines from Kentucky are about to move out, and the Corps wants their families to know what to expect.

The 46 Marines are part of a military police company that will provide security and stability in the Anbar province – a place that has been a military hotbed for Marines.

But today was about reassuring families – that they have support and structure at home, while their children and loved ones are away.

Many are young and have never seen combat.

Which is why 19-year-old LCpl. Nicole Jones is listening... and so are her parents.

"This is mainly to reassure our families that we're going to be taken care of... give them a chance to ask questions."

And they have some.

"They're worried cause I'll be leaving them for 12 months... not really too worried."

"I'm a mess,” says Nicole’s mother, Jeanette Jones, “but slowly we're learning there's information and people will help us get through it."

"I really don't want my daughter to be on the front lines of war,” says Todd Jones, Nicole’s father. “I don't think it's a good place to be. She's persistent, so we just got to support her."

"There's only a few of us that have been over there." Cpl. James Bane is one of them. This will be his second deployment to the Anbar province. He's expecting others – those without experience – to turn to him, as he turned to his elders.

"I felt like it was my responsibility."

There was even talk of how families will be notified if the worst happens. Emily Dieruf knows – she lost her husband Nick a year and a half ago, and now works to help military families in need.

"It's kept me healthy,” she says. “Nineteen months... here I am."

There were several organizations attending today's event that pushed the idea they're always available to families.

The company is expected to be deployed to Iraq later this winter, for a year.

Half of Americans say the Iraq war was a mistake, but a majority also says the US shouldn't pull out immediately.

In an Associated Press poll, 57% of Americans say the US should stay until Iraq is stabilized.

36% favor an immediate withdrawal.

49% of Americans say the war was a mistake.

42% say it was the right decision.

The survey of a thousand adults was taken Tuesday through Thursday.

The president plans an oval office address for tonight at 9:00, to talk about the war in Iraq, and what's planned in 2006.

ABC News and Action News 36 will provide live coverage of that speech.

Ellie