PDA

View Full Version : "Jarhead" "JugHead"

redneck13
12-17-05, 07:29 AM
Could someone tell me where the "names...."Jarhead, JugHead" for us "Marines" came from? The reason I ask? I belong to the Leatherneck Motorcyle Club Int'l....I was wearing my color's one day. This lady approached me...."Sir?" "Is there some significance between "Jarhead, Jughead" and "Marine", uh...are they the same as for "Marine?" This was when the "Jarhead" movie was being released. I couldn't give any answer 'cept...."Some nickname, I don't know where it comes from." Thanks

Old Marine
12-17-05, 09:10 AM
It's because of the high & tight haircut.

greensideout
12-17-05, 09:19 PM
The "jarhead" comes from the class A cover. "Jughead", never heard that one. I think that she was fishing and tossing out her mis-conceptions.

marinemom
12-17-05, 10:15 PM
Actually, the "jarhead" comes from the cover worn by the Continental Marines at the time of the Revolution - which looked like a stovepipe or jar - not like today's cover at all.

Take a look at a picrue of one of them, and you'll see.

greensideout
12-17-05, 10:25 PM
Well Marinemom, I question the time date on that one? "Jarhead" was most likely a term used much later. Back then I would expect that a saber would part the ribs of someone giving a derogotory remark to a Marine.

RLeon
12-17-05, 10:44 PM
I don't think anybody really knows were jarhead came from, as you can see from the different answers given, High& tight, class A Covers, continental Marine covers. I was told it's because covers(hats in general) were called lids back in the day.
I like Leatherneck, can't go wrong with that.

RLeon
12-17-05, 10:58 PM
Actually, the "jarhead" comes from the cover worn by the Continental Marines at the time of the Revolution - which looked like a stovepipe or jar - not like today's cover at all.

Take a look at a picrue of one of them, and you'll see.
I not too sure about that marinemom, I have to agree with greensideout. I believe the term is more modern.
The following image is of a Continental Marine with one of two covers I know them to have used, the other being a "tricorn" cover. Neither of them look like jars.
http://www.scuttlebuttsmallchow.com/water15b.jpg

Ed Palmer
12-18-05, 08:40 AM
The term JARHEAD comes from the COLLAR OF THE UNIFORM at about the same time as the term LEATHERNECK, THE THICK LEATHER COLLAR WAS AS SUCH THAT IT MADE THE TORSO LOOK LIKE A JAR,with the head as the lid, Thus the term Jarhead

thats the way I remember the story

Ed Palmer
12-18-05, 09:26 AM
ok HERE WE GO

(QUOTE) The Continental Marine Color Guard and Fife and Drum Corps wears the 1776 style uniform of the Marines: green coats with white facings. A question has arisen about the use of leathernecks during the era of the Revolution. While undoubtedly later (in the 1800s) such bands of stiff leather were part of the uniform, were they in the period of interest?

Painted representations of the uniforms are unreliable because of the use of cloth bands around the neck during this period. The material of such bands is not obvious upon examination of a painting.

The following material provides some back ground information and some quotes on the topic. As will appear, the leatherneck first formed part of the Marine Corps uniform in 1798. This when the Corps was re-authorized by Congress. [top]

On Stocks and Leathernecks
One definition of the word "stock" is:

"A collar or a neckcloth fitting like a band around the neck" [1, page 1873]
(QUOTE)

http://www.southcoastsar.org/Leathernecks.htm

Ed Palmer
12-18-05, 09:35 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v733/Ed15Palmer/SoldierWalking.gifAfter a little snoop and poop here it AREhttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v733/Ed15Palmer/SoldierWalking.gif
Did the Continental Marines Wear Leathernecks?
Introduction
Origin of the Nickname "Leathernecks" for the Marines
Etymology of the Word "Leatherneck"

Introduction
The Continental Marine Color Guard and Fife and Drum Corps wears the 1776 style uniform of the Marines: green coats with white facings. A question has arisen about the use of leathernecks during the era of the Revolution. While undoubtedly later (in the 1800s) such bands of stiff leather were part of the uniform, were they in the period of interest?

Painted representations of the uniforms are unreliable because of the use of cloth bands around the neck during this period. The material of such bands is not obvious upon examination of a painting.

The following material provides some back ground information and some quotes on the topic. As will appear, the leatherneck first formed part of the Marine Corps uniform in 1798. This when the Corps was re-authorized by Congress. [top]

One definition of the word "stock" is:

"A collar or a neckcloth fitting like a band around the neck" [1, page 1873]
Similarly the word "cravat" is defined as:

"A cloth worn about the neck, usually over the shirt. Black was accepted as the most practical color. The cravat was later replaced by the stock." [2, page 130]
And the word stock is defined as: [2, page 129, quoting 3]

"A part of an officer's dress, which consists generally of black silk or velvet, and is worn round the neck instead of a neckcloth. The soldier's stock is of black ribbed leather, and is part of his small mounting. Red stocks were formerly worn in the guards; they are still so in some Prussian regiments."
Webster's Encyclopedic Unabridged Dictionary of the English Language, Gramercy Books, New York, 1996
John R. Elting, ed., Military Uniforms in America; The Era of the American Revolution, Presidio Press, San Rafael, 1974
Charles James, A New and Enlarged Military Dictionary ..., T. Egerton, London, 1802
[top]

Origin of the Nickname "Leathernecks" for the Marines
The following material is from: http://www.grunts.net/usmc/usmclore.html, web site for Marine Corps lore of all sorts.

It is questionable whether the origin of the term "Leatherneck" can be accepted as a legitimate member of the family of legends. More like a tradition, it is. For there can be no doubt of the origin, considering that U. S. Marines of three generations wore leather collars. It is as obvious as the nickname "Red" for a recruit with carrot-colored hair and freckles.

Now accepted by Webster as a synonym for Marine, the term "Leatherneck" was derived from a leather stock once worn around the neck by both American and British Marines--and soldiers also. Beginning in 1798, "one stock of black leather and clasp" was issued to each U. S. Marine annually.
This stiff leather collar, fastened by two buckles at the back, measured nearly three and a half inches high, and it prevented the neck movement necessary for sighting along a barrel. It supposedly improved military bearing, by forcing the chin high, although General George F. Elliott, recalling its use after the Civil War, said it made the wearers appear "like geese looking for rain."

The stock was dropped as an article of Marine uniform in 1872, after surviving through the uniform changes of 1833, 1839, and 1859. But by then it was a part of American vocabulary, a word preserved, like so many words, beyond its original meaning.
[top]

Etymology of the Word "Leatherneck"
The following material is from http://wilton.net/etmya.htm, a list of etymologies of various words. Minor editorial changes have been made.

The chief dispute over the origin of this slang term for a marine is whether in originated in the Royal Marines or the U.S. Marines. The term is a reference to the high, leather collars that were once a part of marines' uniforms in both countries. Although Mencken and Morris recount the tale that British sailors called marines leathernecks not because of their collars, but because marines washed only their faces, omitting the rest of their bodies, resulting in an unwashed and leathery neck.

Mencken comes squarely down on the British-origin side, stating that the term crossed the Atlantic during the First World War. He may be right about the British origin, but his dates are clearly wrong. Lighter's earliest American citation is from 1907, too early for the WWI crossing. The earliest unambiguous citation is a reference to the Royal Marines, dating from 1889-90. But Lighter has a British citation from 1823 that refers to U.S. Marines and their "leather neckcloths."

Complicating the arguments of those who claim an American origin, is the fact that the U.S. Marines abandoned their leather neck stocks in 1875, some 32 years before the first attested American usage of the term. It is possible of course, if unlikely, that the slang usage survived those years unrecorded.
Partridge suggests that it may be related to boot-neck, another term for a Royal Marine that dates from the mid-nineteenth century.

The OED2 also includes an 1898 usage from Australia, where leatherneck is slang for a rouseabout, or a man or boy employed at a sheep station. This term is probably unrelated to the leatherneck as marine term, and probably derives from the leathery skin of the neck acquired from long hours working in the desert sun. [top]

References:

Mencken, H.L., The American Language, 4th Edition; Alfred A. Knopf; 1936. Supplement One, 1945. Supplement Two, 1948. The classic study of American English. It is somewhat dated, but still valuable for historical work. The abridged version is still in print: The American Language; H.L. Mencken; annotated and abridged by Raven I. McDavid, Jr.; Alfred A. Knopf; 1963; ISBN 0-394-73315-0.

Morris, William and Mary, Dictionary of Word and Phrase Origins; Harper & Row; 1962. A book with some 3,000 interesting etymologies. This edition is somewhat dated and the Morrises sometimes favor folkloric explanations with little evidence, but a fun book that supplies the details behind some of the more interesting etymologies. The current edition, edited by the Morris's son Evan, corrects many of the shortcomings of the first one, but I don't use it as a reference--not for any fault just that it wouldn't add anything to my current library.

J.E. Lighter, editor, Random House Historical Dictionary of American Slang; Random House; Vol. I: A-G, 1994, ISBN 0-394-54427-7; Vol. II, H-O, 1997, ISBN 0-679-43464-X. An invaluable source for non-standard, American words and phrases. Excellent usage citations. Unfortunately only the first two volumes have been published, so you are out of luck for words beginning with the letters P-Z. I rely heavily on this source, primarily because it gives actual citations of use.

Eric Partridge; edited by Paul Beale, A Dictionary of Slang and Unconventional English, 8th Edition; MacMillan; 1984; ISBN 0-02-594980-2. A superb source that focuses mainly on British slang, but which is also useful for Americanisms.

C.T. Onions, editor, The Oxford Dictionary of English Etymology; Oxford University Press; 1966; ISBN 0-19-861112-9. With 24,000 entries, this in one of the most comprehensive etymological sources available. Its one drawback is a lack of slang entries, and given its age many slang terms it might have included have now passed into standard English.

Updated 26 February 2003[top]

ggyoung
12-18-05, 11:30 AM
As I understand the term "jarhead" came from Presley O'Bannen when he found two Marines goffing off. grabed them by there heads and smacked there heads together. Jarheads.

redneck13
12-18-05, 05:55 PM
I thank all for all the information. I'm still not sure if anyone is right. I don't disagree with anyone, as I don't know. Keep helping me, cuz it bugs me. K? Tanks much...."All But 6"

redneck13
12-18-05, 06:25 PM
:idea: "Jughead?" Would that be a "Navy"/Squid" Term for "drinkin'?"
Ain't it crazy how us Marines get so many different names. Like Gireene's? Or Jireene's? Where did them come from? Thanks.

greensideout
12-18-05, 08:14 PM
I have always understood that the "Leather band" worn around the neck of a Marine was to protect against a saber cut when boarding an enemy ship.

RLeon
12-19-05, 04:52 PM
Gee, now I'm really confused. Any more theories? lol

outlaw3179
12-19-05, 05:38 PM
Didnt it come from the movie Aliens when we were fighting the aliens? jk ummm ...i always thought and was always told it came from the squids during world war 2 cuz of our high and tights. our heads shaved on the sides and a patch of hair on the top our heads looked like jars.

Ed Palmer
12-20-05, 08:58 AM
alright lets try it again

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v733/Ed15Palmer/SoldierWalking.gif[http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v733/Ed15Palmer/SoldierWalking.gif

The term "jarhead" as referring to a Marine comes from the same thing that gave them the nickname "leathernecks"–the leather collars on some of their uniforms.

Before rubber was commonly available, the rings used to seal canning jars were made of leather. So the implication is that the Marine’s leather collar is akin to the leather sealing rings once used on canning jars, making him, literally, a "jar head." Which also gives you an idea about how far back the term goes!

Ed Palmer
12-20-05, 09:13 AM
this one sounds a little better take your pick <br />
<br />
JARHEAD <br />
Regarding the term Jarhead, all are well aware of the explanations for the origins for this name for Marines--that it found its origins in...

outlaw3179
12-20-05, 10:34 AM
So youre saying its not from the movie Aliens?

JNowicky
02-11-07, 10:29 PM
I come from the time when Marines knew who they were. As an O3 I was a GRUNT in the 50's and was referred to as a JARHEAD well before Marines were wearing "high and tights".
We weren't soldiers we were MARINES. We wore brown leather and we spit shined our shoes and the bills of our covers. We didn't wear fatigues, we wore green utilities, and we never wore them off base. We tailored our dress uniforms. made sure there was a bow in our cover, and owned "swagger sticks. We were proud of the fact that we weren't like the other branches.

In in all my four years of active duty I never once said or heard the term
OO-RAH. We were Gung Ho, Salty, The Best-We Were Marines.

yellowwing
02-11-07, 11:15 PM
So youre saying its not from the movie Aliens?
Ripley still needs a jarhead to keep her warm! :banana: :p

YLDNDN6
02-12-07, 05:50 AM
I'm on it, Yellowwing!!!

SkilletsUSMC
02-12-07, 07:57 AM
I come from the time when Marines knew who they were. As an O3 I was a GRUNT in the 50's and was referred to as a JARHEAD well before Marines were wearing "high and tights".
We weren't soldiers we were MARINES. We wore brown leather and we spit shined our shoes and the bills of our covers. We didn't wear fatigues, we wore green utilities, and we never wore them off base. We tailored our dress uniforms. made sure there was a bow in our cover, and owned "swagger sticks. We were proud of the fact that we weren't like the other branches.

In in all my four years of active duty I never once said or heard the term
OO-RAH. We were Gung Ho, Salty, The Best-We Were Marines.

This is a very good post.:thumbup: It confirms a few things I have always believed, Thank you.

Old Marine
02-12-07, 09:15 AM
Definitions I have heard for USMC.

United States Marine Corps
Uncle Sams Mountain Climbers
Uncle Sams Misguided Children

drumcorpssnare
02-12-07, 12:26 PM
Leather stocks worn by various military men in the 18th and early 19th century were not "uncommon" according to some of my reading. English, American, French, Prussian, Polish, Russian all at some time had some soldiers or Marines who wore the stock to ward off sabre blows to the neck.

The only input I have to the "Jarhead" nickname is this. I too, had heard of the term being used in reference to the tall uniform collar w/ the various covers worn between the Civil War and WW II. But also, an Army vet from WW II Pacific told me that the Army called Marines "jarheads" because the Marines "screwed their helmets on, like jar lids."

As for Gyrenes, I believe the origin of G.I.-renes makes the most sense.

drumcorpssnare:usmc:

ggyoung
02-12-07, 12:49 PM
What ever we are called makes no nivermind to us'm. We still out fight, out drink, out love out swear we just out everyone.

FistFu68
02-12-07, 12:52 PM
:evilgrin: OOORAH~CLASS OF '68~JARHEAD~ :evilgrin:

Zulu 36
02-12-07, 12:55 PM
Definitions I have heard for USMC.

United States Marine Corps
Uncle Sams Mountain Climbers
Uncle Sams Misguided Children
Also:

Us Suckers Missed Christmas.................................... (Again)

RLeon
02-12-07, 09:53 PM
Also:

Us Suckers Missed Christmas.................................... (Again)
When ever I'm around folks and the topic of conversation is about college escapades and everyone starts bragging about their frat days and universities. I tell them I was in Semper Fi fraternity in the University of Science, Math, and Culture.....:D

jinelson
02-13-07, 12:31 AM
I would rather respond to Jarhead than Dickhead wouldnt you?

SF Jim

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v660/jinelson/froglaffing.gif

olderbill
11-14-13, 10:48 PM
referred to as a JARHEAD well before Marines were wearing "high and tights".

I was thinking the same thing. Marines from WW II didn't have the high-and-tight haircuts worn by Marines of this generation. It is not reasonable to relate those haircuts to the slang term "jarhead".

My father and one uncle were both Navy CPOs in WW II and both of them said it related to the uniform and the blues collar and white barracks cover worn by sea Marines aboard ship. That both used the term when they were trying to talk me out of joining the Corps in '64.

Semper Fi and God Rest our EOD Marines lost at Camp Pendleton.