PDA

View Full Version : Service in Marines led to White House duties

thedrifter
12-17-05, 05:08 AM
Service in Marines led to White House duties
By TERRY BROWN, Staff writer

First published: Saturday, December 17, 2005
One troubled teen who enjoyed drinking and partying more than earning good grades at Coxsackie-Athens Central High School eventually turned his life around so well he ended up with a presidential assignment and two college degrees.

Three days after Joseph Zanchelli of Coxsackie graduated from high school in 1981, he shipped out to Marine Corps boot camp at Parris Island, S.C.

"I always had it in the back of my head I'd go military," he said, noting he actually signed up for the Marines during his junior year through a delayed entry program. "The Marines did set my life straight."

After boot camp, he went to a Navy facility in Memphis, Tenn., where he received his advanced individual training to become a helicopter mechanic, flight engineer and crew chief. His quick learning, performance and mastery of mechanic and flight engineer skills caught the eyes of Marine leaders.

He did so well during hands-on, on-the-job training, academic, flight and verbal tests he was chosen to become a Marine One helicopter crew chief.

After he passed a series of tests, he was awarded a presidential support military occupation skill designation and assigned to helicopter HMX-1, Marine One, for a tour from 1982 to 1986.

"I became another set of eyes for the president's Marine One helicopter pilot and co-pilot," he said.

"As such, I had to monitor all gauges, including fire warning lights, hydraulics and other systems before, during and after flights."

He said he had to be the first crew member to arrive before sunrise at a helipad to inspect all equipment, gear and systems and make sure the aircraft was clean.

"Every piece of the helicopter gets scrutinized to avoid and prevent any possible mechanical problems and to make sure it was fitting for presidential use," said Zanchelli, now retired from the Marines. "I had to meet unparalleled mechanical, cleanliness and safety standards before each flight. Most people's houses were not as clean as this helicopter."

He served as crew chief of Marine One that transported Presidents Ronald Reagan, George H.W. Bush and Bill Clinton before Charcot-Marie-Tooth disease weakened Zanchelli's muscles in his feet, legs, arms and hands so much he was forced to accept retirement in 1995.

His crews also transported vice presidents, heads of state and generals.

After his first tour as Marine One crew chief, he was assigned to a training facility through 1989 at the Naval Air Station in Dallas, where he taught Marine Reserve helicopter crews combat-flight tactics until he was picked for a rare second tour as Marine One crew chief. He served his second Marine One tour through 1993.

During his two Marine One tours, he logged more than 1,000 flight hours and hundreds of routine and crisis sorties across the United States and overseas. For the overseas missions, he had to help break Marine One down into parts so the aircraft could fit aboard a C-5A transport plane, and then put it back together before flying the president around England, Germany, France, Canada, Mexico and elsewhere.

"I got to witness history first hand as the president traveled to world economic and other summits," he said. "I got to stay in the same places and eat the same food as the president did."

Zanchelli and a security Marine greeted and saluted the president before getting on and off the aircraft's stairs.

For Reagan, he had to make sure the president's jelly bean jar was filled. He also made sure the helicopter had ample beverages and snacks.

As a Marine One crew member, he said, he got to see a more personal side to the presidents.

"At Camp David, Reagan and Bush would join us in baseball games," he said. "During one game, a Marine used and broke one of Bush's autographed bats. Bush told the Marine not to worry. But our (Marine) leaders told use not to use any of Bush's bats in the future."

He and his wife, Cathy were invited and attended Christmas, Fourth of July and other parties in the White House.

By the time he retired in 1995, he had earned a Meritorious Service Medal, three Navy Commendation Medals and a Good Conduct Medal.

He then earned a bachelor's degree from the College of Saint Rose in Albany and a master's degree in social work from the University at Albany. While working as a hospice intern during college, he decided to become a bereavement counselor. He now counsels relatives and friends of terminal patients at The Community Hospice in Catskill with end-of-life issues.

He also has joined The Community Hospice and its seven offices in reaching out to serve veterans nearing the end of their lives in a Community Hospice partnership with veterans organizations. He also has written and distributed "The Healthcare Providers Guide to Understanding the Warrior Culture" to help hospice and health care workers better serve veterans and their families.

"I am passionate about our (Community Hospice) work with veterans and I want other veterans to know we care," Zanchelli said.

He lives with his wife and children, Rachel, 22, and Annie, 8, in Coxsackie.

Share your stories

Timesunion.com hosts a blog for local soldiers serving in or who have served in Iraq and Afghanistan. To read the soldiers' stories, go to blogs.timesunion.com/wartime. If you would like to contribute to this blog, send an e-mail to mhuber@timesunion.com

News of your soldiers and units can be sent to Duty Calls, Terry Brown, Times Union, Box 15000, Albany, NY 12212 or by e-mail at brownt@timesunion.com

Ellie