PDA

View Full Version : ERR Recruiters of the Year battle for top spot

Shaffer
11-13-02, 08:21 AM
Competition for Marine Corps Recruiter of the Year wrapped up in Marine Corps Base Quantico, Va., with all three districts in the Eastern Recruiting Region sending representatives Oct. 30.

Unfortunately for the ERR, this year the Western Recruiting Region boasted the top recruiter.

Gunnery Sgt. Jessie W. Cornelius, 9th Marine Corps District, Recruiting Station Indianapolis, Ind., walked away with the top honors as Marine Corps Recruiter of the year.

To claim the title, each recruiter nominated had to show something above and beyond the already grueling regime of recruiting duty.

The recruiters competed against other recruiters within their district by means of a board consisting of their commanding officer, sergeant major and other representatives of the command. Each of the competitors from the ERR was named Recruiter of the Year for their respective district.

Numbers played a big part in the decision to name the recruiters of the year. Obviously, the number of contracts that a recruiter gets signed is important, but less obvious is the quality of the poolee being signed. Poolees are designated into tiers based on their educational level and scores on the Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery, with tier I being of the highest quality.

In the ERR, consisting of 1st, 4th and 6th Marine Corps Districts, each district sent a representative to Quantico to compete against each other and their Western Recruiting Region counterparts to see who would be named the Marine Corps Recruiter of the Year.

Sergeant Kelvin Grant, recruiting substation Providence, R.I., recruiter, represented 1st MCD in the final competition. Grant successfully signed 53 contracts with 100 percent of tier I applicants.

Understanding the potential poolee is part of Grant's strategy.

"You've got to be able to relate to them," he said. "Go out there and get on the kids level. Find out what they're looking for."

Despite working seven days a week for up to 12 hours at a time, the job is worth the effort to Grant.

"I enjoy it," he said.
Sergeant Benard Emmert, RS Charlottesville, Va., recruiter, represented 4th MCD with 57 contracts and 98 percent tier I applicants.

Mutual respect is key to Emmert's recruiting plan.

"Treat them how you would want to be treated," he said. Proper treatment of potential poolees isn't the only part however - belief in the Corps is paramount.

Staff Sgt. Rafael Camacho, Recruiting Substation Orlando, represented 6th MCD with 39 contracts and 100 percent tier I applicants.

For Camacho, setting up his poolees for success means more than getting them into shape.

"It's not just the physical aspect, but preparing them mentally as well," he said. "You obviously can't prepare them for the drill instructors, but you can always give them a heads up."

Preparing his poolees with knowledge is a factor in Camacho's success. He's constantly quizzing his poolees with knowledge questions such as their general orders and rank structure. He also shows them the fundamentals of drill.

All of these strategies have helped propel these recruiters to the top of their districts. Each of them has gone above and beyond what's needed to help keep the Marine Corps filled with manpower it needs to remain America's 911 force.